Posted to rec.woodworking

Default [OT] I'm celebrating!

Neither gloat nor neener, exactly - but a milestone for my shop. Today
I loaded a pallet with three of my passive solar air-heating panels
and sent my first out-of-state order off to warm a home in Oklahoma
for the next couple of decades.

I'm reasonably certain that at some point in the future today's
excitement will strike me as being silly - but that won't happen for a
while.

The semi driver seemed to get a kick out of the fact that I'd never
shipped anything by truck before and that he was part of a /first/ of
something - and he was tickled by the too-pretty pallet assembled with
precisely-spaced and counterbored square-drive washerheads.

As he climbed into the cab he grinned and said: "Have 'em there in two
days! See ya next time..."

Poetry!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Congratulations! Here's to a long, thriving trade.

-- Kurt
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:

Neither gloat nor neener, exactly - but a milestone for my shop. Today
I loaded a pallet with three of my passive solar air-heating panels
and sent my first out-of-state order off to warm a home in Oklahoma
for the next couple of decades.

Congratulations Morris! Hope this works out for everyone involved. This
is the way we are going to solve our energy dependence -- one
cost-effective solution at a time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 21:26:25 -0500, "Morris Dovey" wrote:

Neither gloat nor neener, exactly - but a milestone for my shop. Today
I loaded a pallet with three of my passive solar air-heating panels
and sent my first out-of-state order off to warm a home in Oklahoma
for the next couple of decades.

I'm reasonably certain that at some point in the future today's
excitement will strike me as being silly - but that won't happen for a
while.

The semi driver seemed to get a kick out of the fact that I'd never
shipped anything by truck before and that he was part of a /first/ of
something - and he was tickled by the too-pretty pallet assembled with
precisely-spaced and counterbored square-drive washerheads.

As he climbed into the cab he grinned and said: "Have 'em there in two
days! See ya next time..."

Poetry!

Good on ya, Morris...

You'll be filling International orders some day...

Hope ya have a good tax person... *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I'm celebrating!

On Jun 18, 10:26 pm, "Morris Dovey" wrote:

Neither gloat nor neener, exactly - but a milestone for my shop.

I know you sell heat, my friend, but good-on-ya.

I have been in the transition between proto and market.... Man, you
have no idea how much I am rooting for ya!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Neither gloat nor neener, exactly - but a milestone for my shop. Today
I loaded a pallet with three of my passive solar air-heating panels
and sent my first out-of-state order off to warm a home in Oklahoma
for the next couple of decades.

Congratulations Morris!

I will hoist a drink in your honor this fine evening.

You are one of the good guys.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
Neither gloat nor neener, exactly - but a milestone for my shop. Today
I loaded a pallet with three of my passive solar air-heating panels
and sent my first out-of-state order off to warm a home in Oklahoma
for the next couple of decades.

I'm reasonably certain that at some point in the future today's
excitement will strike me as being silly - but that won't happen for a
while.

The semi driver seemed to get a kick out of the fact that I'd never
shipped anything by truck before and that he was part of a /first/ of
something - and he was tickled by the too-pretty pallet assembled with
precisely-spaced and counterbored square-drive washerheads.

As he climbed into the cab he grinned and said: "Have 'em there in two
days! See ya next time..."

Poetry!

Almost as good as sex.

Congrats, you earned it.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Kurt wrote:

| Congratulations! Here's to a long, thriving trade.

Thanks, Kurt. It's been a long, slow (not very thriving so far) haul.
I'm getting a bit too old to hope for long, but thriving would be
good! :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

| Congratulations Morris! Hope this works out for everyone
| involved. This is the way we are going to solve our energy
| dependence -- one cost-effective solution at a time.

Thanks! I think it'll work out well. I'm hoping that, for a least a
few people, it solves the problem of keeping warm in the wintertime.

There are a lot more problems waiting to be solved - opportunities
abound!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

mac davis wrote:

| You'll be filling International orders some day...

Strange you should mention that... This sorta ties in with one of your
threads - I'd been having difficulty with shipping. Seems like local
trucking outfits aren't too enthusiastic about dealing with
enterprises as small as mine.

I'd put off two prospective customers - one in Arizona and one in
Canada - because I couldn't seem to get any traction on shipping until
an outside sales person from an outfit called Unishippers stopped to
visit one of my neighbors when I happened to be in their shop. I
dropped in at their office and ended up talking to an eager new
employee who said simply: "Tell me what you want to ship and where you
want it to go, and I'll do whatever it takes to get it on its way in
24 hours or less." IMO, the world needs a few more like him.

I'm hoping that I haven't lost the two customers. If I haven't, my
first Canadian order may ship in July. :-)

Much more "iffy", but I've had an inquiry about panels in shipping
container sized lots for the Ukraine. An order like that would produce
interesting (but *good*) problems.

| Hope ya have a good tax person... *g*

Well, it hasn't been an issue yet - but I'm hoping for the need. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

| I know you sell heat, my friend, but good-on-ya.

Oh here we go again... ;-)

The heat is free. It's there. It's been there. It'll still be there
long after we're gone. I just sell a device to bring it indoors. I
also try really hard to convince those who have the skills to DIY and
drop all the hints I can (without cutting my own throat) to make it
easy for them as I can manage.

For those who don't have the skills or don't have the time to DIY, I
think I have a pretty good product for the price.

| I have been in the transition between proto and market.... Man, you
| have no idea how much I am rooting for ya!

Thanks - it helps. I have a really difficult time turning off the
engineer and activating the salesman. Usually by the time the time a
prospective customer's eyes glaze over I can recognize that I've
provided way too much detail. If I can get this operation to the point
where someone else (not involved with design) is selling, I think the
business will do much better. I'm probably my own worst impediment,
and knowing that is sometimes discouraging.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:

| Congratulations Morris!

Many thanks!

| I will hoist a drink in your honor this fine evening.

An absolutely first class idea! I think I'll join you.

| You are one of the good guys.

I'm not sure about good - but sometimes I do get lucky. ;-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

| Cool, I can relate.

Yessir - I think it was mostly his confidence that there /would/ be a
next time that felt so good. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

| Almost as good as sex.

It /was/ good - but I'm not sure it was _that_ good - but then again,
I'm a much younger guy. ;-)

| Congrats, you earned it.

Thanks, Lew.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hello Morris,

I ship from Canada to the U.S. and use Roadway (or their affiliates) most
often. The rates vary considerably, but you should receive their standard
68% discount. If not, tell them you are going with UPS Freight if you don't
get their best rate.

Be careful, especially from 'overseas' requests, like from the Ukraine. One
scam is, at the last minute when the truck is loaded, the overseas payment
arrives by 'certified bank draft' , which takes several weeks to clear. They
will apply pressure to get your product . Just hang tight on the shipping
until the coins are nestled neatly in your pocket.

Best of luck ...Ken

mac davis wrote:

| You'll be filling International orders some day...

Strange you should mention that... This sorta ties in with one of your
threads - I'd been having difficulty with shipping. Seems like local
trucking outfits aren't too enthusiastic about dealing with
enterprises as small as mine.

I'd put off two prospective customers - one in Arizona and one in
Canada - because I couldn't seem to get any traction on shipping until
an outside sales person from an outfit called Unishippers stopped to
visit one of my neighbors when I happened to be in their shop. I
dropped in at their office and ended up talking to an eager new
employee who said simply: "Tell me what you want to ship and where you
want it to go, and I'll do whatever it takes to get it on its way in
24 hours or less." IMO, the world needs a few more like him.

I'm hoping that I haven't lost the two customers. If I haven't, my
first Canadian order may ship in July. :-)

Much more "iffy", but I've had an inquiry about panels in shipping
container sized lots for the Ukraine. An order like that would produce
interesting (but *good*) problems.

| Hope ya have a good tax person... *g*

Well, it hasn't been an issue yet - but I'm hoping for the need. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Morris Dovey" wrote:
Neither gloat nor neener, exactly - but a milestone for my shop. Today
I loaded a pallet with three of my passive solar air-heating panels
and sent my first out-of-state order off to warm a home in Oklahoma
for the next couple of decades.

Congrats, Morris -- hope this is the first of many.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Neither gloat nor neener, exactly - but a milestone for my shop. Today
I loaded a pallet with three of my passive solar air-heating panels
and sent my first out-of-state order off to warm a home in Oklahoma
for the next couple of decades.

I'm reasonably certain that at some point in the future today's
excitement will strike me as being silly - but that won't happen for a
while.

The semi driver seemed to get a kick out of the fact that I'd never
shipped anything by truck before and that he was part of a /first/ of
something - and he was tickled by the too-pretty pallet assembled with
precisely-spaced and counterbored square-drive washerheads.

As he climbed into the cab he grinned and said: "Have 'em there in two
days! See ya next time..."

Poetry!

Congrats, Morris!!!
--

"Anybody can have more birthdays; but it takes
balls to get old!"

Posted to rec.woodworking

- and he was tickled by the too-pretty pallet assembled with
precisely-spaced and counterbored square-drive washerheads.

They have recently become a favorite fastener of mine.... but the guy in the
other end will probably not have made the conversion to square drive and be
cussing and your %$#@!!! pretty pallet that he can't get apart ;-)

BTW congrats.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 01:03:57 -0500, "Morris Dovey" wrote:

Morris... This is a dim memory from my days as a driver, but...

Talk to a few independent drivers and get the names of a couple of local
"brokers"...
They're the middle men between the shippers and the truckers and they almost
always have either some space left on a truck or one coming back empty from
somewhere...

Also, a friend claims that UPS also delivers crates and pallets, but I have no
idea if it's true..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 03:46:33 GMT, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Almost as good as sex.

Congrats, you earned it.

Lew

Damn, Lew...
IMHO, the only think almost as good as sex is more sex.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 18, 10:26 pm, "Morris Dovey" wrote:
Neither gloat nor neener, exactly - but a milestone for my shop. Today
I loaded a pallet with three of my passive solar air-heating panels
and sent my first out-of-state order off to warm a home in Oklahoma
for the next couple of decades.

I'm reasonably certain that at some point in the future today's
excitement will strike me as being silly - but that won't happen for a
while.

The semi driver seemed to get a kick out of the fact that I'd never
shipped anything by truck before and that he was part of a /first/ of
something - and he was tickled by the too-pretty pallet assembled with
precisely-spaced and counterbored square-drive washerheads.

As he climbed into the cab he grinned and said: "Have 'em there in two
days! See ya next time..."

Poetry!

Here's to telling OPEC to go **** itself. Cheers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris,

Hang on to that priceless feeling of elation and accomplishment - you
deserve it. It will also sustain and lift your spirits in the bad times
that may follow, giving you strength to get through - to more great times.

Warm congratulations - I remember well our first big sale - and the
smile that lasts for soooo long :-)

Mike

Kurt wrote:

| Congratulations! Here's to a long, thriving trade.

Thanks, Kurt. It's been a long, slow (not very thriving so far) haul.
I'm getting a bit too old to hope for long, but thriving would be
good! :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Richardson wrote:
| Morris,
|
| Hang on to that priceless feeling of elation and accomplishment
| - you deserve it. It will also sustain and lift your spirits in
| the bad times that may follow, giving you strength to get through -
| to more great times.

I'm not out of the woods yet. It's been a long five years and there
have been plenty of times when I found myself wondering if it'd really
be worth the all the grief. There's an oversupply of scepticism about
solar energy that stems from a lot of really primitive stuff done in
the 70's. The advent of lower-priced photovoltaics has helped some,
but people are still generally wary - but energy prices are
engendering a willingness to re-examine solar for heating.

| Warm congratulations - I remember well our first big sale - and
| the smile that lasts for soooo long :-)

Many thanks! It is a good feeling. vbg

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Island Teak wrote:
| Hello Morris,
|
| I ship from Canada to the U.S. and use Roadway (or their
| affiliates) most often. The rates vary considerably, but you should
| receive their standard 68% discount. If not, tell them you are
| going with UPS Freight if you don't get their best rate.

Ken...

I'm taking a middle road - by letting a third party who knows their
way around do the negotiating. They take a cut, of course, but they
claim that the amount I pay will almost certainly be less than I'd pay
if I were dealing directly with the freight companies. My view is that
their cut provides me with a low-cost shipping department. :-)

| Be careful, especially from 'overseas' requests, like from the
| Ukraine. One scam is, at the last minute when the truck is loaded,
| the overseas payment arrives by 'certified bank draft' , which
| takes several weeks to clear. They will apply pressure to get your
| product . Just hang tight on the shipping until the coins are
| nestled neatly in your pocket.

It's not yet a problem. At present orders don't even go into the
production queue until the full prepayment check has cleared. It
hasn't so much been a matter of trust (or lack thereof) as it's been a
matter of necessity - the first use of the funds received is to
purchase the raw materials for that order. There haven't been any bad
checks so far - and the amazing thing is that there haven't been any
complaints about having to prepay.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

mac davis wrote:
| On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 01:03:57 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
| wrote:
|

| Morris... This is a dim memory from my days as a driver, but...
|
| Talk to a few independent drivers and get the names of a couple of
| local "brokers"...
| They're the middle men between the shippers and the truckers and
| they almost always have either some space left on a truck or one
| coming back empty from somewhere...

Will do.

| Also, a friend claims that UPS also delivers crates and pallets,
| but I have no idea if it's true..

A local UPS person warned me that UPS would be "the high-cost option".
I like your first suggestion better. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
| In article , "Morris Dovey"
| wrote:
|| Neither gloat nor neener, exactly - but a milestone for my shop.
|| Today I loaded a pallet with three of my passive solar air-heating
|| panels and sent my first out-of-state order off to warm a home in
|| Oklahoma for the next couple of decades.
|
| Congrats, Morris -- hope this is the first of many.

Thanks, Doug. Me too! :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike M wrote:

| Congrats, Morris!!!

Many thanks, Mike!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:

I'm taking a middle road - by letting a third party who knows their
way around do the negotiating. They take a cut, of course, but they
claim that the amount I pay will almost certainly be less than I'd pay
if I were dealing directly with the freight companies. My view is that
their cut provides me with a low-cost shipping department. :-)

If this stuff ships common carrier, then FOB, Point of Shipment,
Freight Prepaid and billed or freight collect makes a lot of sense.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Stephen M wrote:
| - and he was tickled by the too-pretty pallet assembled with
|| precisely-spaced and counterbored square-drive washerheads.
|
| They have recently become a favorite fastener of mine.... but the
| guy in the other end will probably not have made the conversion to
| square drive and be cussing and your %$#@!!! pretty pallet that he
| can't get apart ;-)

Steve...

If so, it'll be because he's really desperate for wood - all of the
wood used for this pallet was recycled (at least once). The skids were
from the first (and last) pallet I disassembled in the current shop.

The deck is OSB, so all he'll need to do is leave it out in the rain a
few times. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Father Haskell wrote:

| Here's to telling OPEC to go f--- itself. Cheers.

Let's hold off on that one until we don't need their oil any longer -
and then let's not forget which members of OPEC have been willing to
act in /our/ best interests.

I'm willing to bet that as we replace petroleum as a source of energy,
we'll find new (and possibly better) uses than just burning it.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stephen M wrote:
| - and he was tickled by the too-pretty pallet assembled with
|| precisely-spaced and counterbored square-drive washerheads.
|
| They have recently become a favorite fastener of mine.... but the
| guy in the other end will probably not have made the conversion to
| square drive and be cussing and your %$#@!!! pretty pallet that he
| can't get apart ;-)

Steve...

If so, it'll be because he's really desperate for wood - all of the
wood used for this pallet was recycled (at least once). The skids were
from the first (and last) pallet I disassembled in the current shop.

The deck is OSB, so all he'll need to do is leave it out in the rain a
few times. :-)

My bad... I was thinking crate not pallet. That is, you have to get into it
to get your product.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Neither gloat nor neener, exactly - but a milestone for my shop. Today
I loaded a pallet with three of my passive solar air-heating panels
and sent my first out-of-state order off to warm a home in Oklahoma
for the next couple of decades.

Congrats! May it be the first of many!

I'm reasonably certain that at some point in the future today's
excitement will strike me as being silly - but that won't happen
for a while.

I probably had a similar feeling cashing my first computer consulting check.
It was income I got because I hunted, stalked and captured business in the
marketplace. soundRoaring Lion/sound It's a totally different feeling
from "skills whoring," that is, getting paid for a 9-to-5.

It happened 23 years ago. I haven't forgotten it, and it still isn't silly.
;-)

On another topic some of us know how to use a glue bottle and we don't need
much of an excuse to get longer clamps if we need them. Have you considered
DIY kits?

-- Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark Jerde wrote:
| "Morris Dovey" wrote in message
|| Neither gloat nor neener, exactly - but a milestone for my shop.
|| Today I loaded a pallet with three of my passive solar air-heating
|| panels and sent my first out-of-state order off to warm a home in
|| Oklahoma for the next couple of decades.
|
| Congrats! May it be the first of many!

Thanks! I hope it is - and I hope it insires at least a few
woodworkers to build their own so they can enjoy their shop more in
the winter.

|| I'm reasonably certain that at some point in the future today's
|| excitement will strike me as being silly - but that won't happen
|| for a while.
|
| I probably had a similar feeling cashing my first computer
| consulting check. It was income I got because I hunted, stalked and
| captured business in the marketplace. soundRoaring Lion/sound
| It's a totally different feeling from "skills whoring," that is,
| getting paid for a 9-to-5.

Yuppers. Belated congrats to you, too. It takes more than just a
little bit of courage to let go of a sure thing to go it on your own.
I respect that.

| It happened 23 years ago. I haven't forgotten it, and it still
| isn't silly. ;-)
|
| On another topic some of us know how to use a glue bottle and we
| don't need much of an excuse to get longer clamps if we need them.
| Have you considered DIY kits?

I have, but there are significant difficulties involved. I did a quick
count and the Madison County panels had a grand total of somewhere
near 600 parts. The kit would not be a quick/easy/simple build, and by
the time jig/clamp (and _increased_ packing and shipping) costs were
figured in, the purchase cost advantage would be pretty well eaten up.
When I considered the amount of time I'd end up spending on the phone
being verbally abused by people who won't read or follow directions,
it didn't seem like such a good idea.

My next thought was to sell plans and absorber/heat exchanger kits -
but that'd play much like trying to make a living selling a
well-documented software source code package, and I'm just not into
being ripped off (did that once and won't repeat the mistake - over
100K downloads, two thank you emails, and no grocery money - see
http://www.iedu.com/mrd/c/mtrace.c for _your_ free copy). There have
been even more downloads of the tarballed executable at
http://www.iedu.com/project/ and I've actually gotten hate/flame
e-mails from Dr FSF's disciples for not providing the source for that
package online (AFAICT, no one has succeeded in
decompiling/reverse-engineering it vbg). All in all, it just seems
to make more sense to sell the product and offer encouragement to DIY
types wherever I think it might do some good.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well done Morris.

Many threads here have some sensible advice from you. I know I've
appreciated them. I followed one of the threads to your website and
saw how you heated up a pretty big space with your solar heaters -
impressive. Glad to see that "the little guy" can make inroads where
the "big guys" don't bother to tread.

Keep it going!

Regards.

wrote:

Neither gloat nor neener, exactly - but a milestone for my shop. Today
I loaded a pallet with three of my passive solar air-heating panels
and sent my first out-of-state order off to warm a home in Oklahoma
for the next couple of decades.

I'm reasonably certain that at some point in the future today's
excitement will strike me as being silly - but that won't happen for a
while.

The semi driver seemed to get a kick out of the fact that I'd never
shipped anything by truck before and that he was part of a /first/ of
something - and he was tickled by the too-pretty pallet assembled with
precisely-spaced and counterbored square-drive washerheads.

As he climbed into the cab he grinned and said: "Have 'em there in two
days! See ya next time..."

Poetry!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" writes:
Father Haskell wrote:

| Here's to telling OPEC to go f--- itself. Cheers.

Let's hold off on that one until we don't need their oil any longer -
and then let's not forget which members of OPEC have been willing to
act in /our/ best interests.

I'm willing to bet that as we replace petroleum as a source of energy,
we'll find new (and possibly better) uses than just burning it.

You mean like a feedstock for the chemical and plastics industries?

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom B wrote:
| Well done Morris.

Thanks, Tom.

| Many threads here have some sensible advice from you. I know I've
| appreciated them. I followed one of the threads to your website and
| saw how you heated up a pretty big space with your solar heaters -
| impressive. Glad to see that "the little guy" can make inroads where
| the "big guys" don't bother to tread.

g As soon as the "big guys" figure it out, I'll probably be toast.
I've played this role before - but /somebody/ had to get the ball
rolling before we ran out of time.

| Keep it going!

Thanks for the encouragement. On my honor I'll do my best.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Mon, Jun 18, 2007, 9:26pm (EDT-1) (Morris*Dovey)
doth gleefully exclaimeth:
snip Today I loaded a pallet with three of my passive solar
air-heating panels and sent my first out-of-state order snip

Good goin' Morris. And, for when you start shipping over the ponds.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18571845/

JOAT
If a man does his best, what else is there?
- General George S. Patton

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:

| Good goin' Morris. And, for when you start shipping over the
| ponds. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18571845/

Thanks! I'm hoping to need a bit more cargo capacity than the Solar21
provides. g

IMO, that was a gutsy crossing. Even with two hulls, a 10m boat seems
pretty small for a trip like that (although I once met a guy who did a
solo crossing in the other direction in a 17' sailboat).

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar