Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default [OT] I'm celebrating!

Island Teak wrote:
| Hello Morris,
|
| I ship from Canada to the U.S. and use Roadway (or their
| affiliates) most often. The rates vary considerably, but you should
| receive their standard 68% discount. If not, tell them you are
| going with UPS Freight if you don't get their best rate.

Ken...

I'm taking a middle road - by letting a third party who knows their
way around do the negotiating. They take a cut, of course, but they
claim that the amount I pay will almost certainly be less than I'd pay
if I were dealing directly with the freight companies. My view is that
their cut provides me with a low-cost shipping department. :-)

| Be careful, especially from 'overseas' requests, like from the
| Ukraine. One scam is, at the last minute when the truck is loaded,
| the overseas payment arrives by 'certified bank draft' , which
| takes several weeks to clear. They will apply pressure to get your
| product . Just hang tight on the shipping until the coins are
| nestled neatly in your pocket.

It's not yet a problem. At present orders don't even go into the
production queue until the full prepayment check has cleared. It
hasn't so much been a matter of trust (or lack thereof) as it's been a
matter of necessity - the first use of the funds received is to
purchase the raw materials for that order. There haven't been any bad
checks so far - and the amazing thing is that there haven't been any
complaints about having to prepay.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar