Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Workbench

I am almost finished building a workbench in my garage. This is my
first wood working project and I am very surpised at how it turned
out. But I need help to finish it. Does anyone know of something I
could cover it with to protect it. Maybe some kind of rubber matting
or a paint that would keep it from soaking up anything or getting nics
and cuts. Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 29, 6:48 pm, wrote:
I am almost finished building a workbench in my garage. This is my
first wood working project and I am very surpised at how it turned
out. But I need help to finish it. Does anyone know of something I
could cover it with to protect it. Maybe some kind of rubber matting
or a paint that would keep it from soaking up anything or getting nics
and cuts. Thanks

I'd use shellac to seal the wood (couple coats) and then use hardboard
to protect the top of the bench... that way you could replace it after
a couple years of abuse.

al

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am almost finished building a workbench in my garage. This is my
first wood working project and I am very surpised at how it turned
out. But I need help to finish it. Does anyone know of something I
could cover it with to protect it. Maybe some kind of rubber matting
or a paint that would keep it from soaking up anything or getting nics
and cuts. Thanks

Keep it from getting nics and cuts?? You did say this was a "Workbench",
right??

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stoutman" asked

Keep it from getting nicks and cuts?? You did say this was a
"Workbench", right??

That is funny.

That comment brings back memories of my "first nick" of my shiny new maple
workbench. I found a small maple workbench that was a retail model of a
much larger bench. It was missing a couple parts and wasn't as big as the
real deal, but it was maple and solid as a rock. I offered a low price and
it was accepted. I replaced the missing parts, made me some bench dogs and
was quite happy with my new find.

I did a variety of projects, always making sure I never disturbed the shiny
finish on the pretty maple bench top. I used hardboard, carpet and whatever
was handy to protect that surface of any kind of indignity.

One day, I was making some signs out of lexan (polycarbonate). I had a
little dremel rotary tool mounted in a baby router base. I put the lettering
underneath the plastic and foloowed it to cut groove with the baby router.
I would go over it later to deepen and widen the the groove.

I was tired and made a mistake. I set the depth to deep on the baby router.
I ended up routing a number of shapes into my bench top. I was devastated.
My pretty new bench now had an injury! I came out the next day to plan some
kind of repair when I had a revelation as to how ridiculous this whole thing
was.

The bench was sturdy and heavy. It did not matter how pretty the top was.
Besides, if you stand back and look at it it was still pretty. I was
embarrassed that I made such a big deal out of it. But it was the prettiest
bench I ever owned.

I would like to think I am more mature and rational now. But I will settle
for more pragmatic and cynical.

Lee Michaels

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 29 May 2007 16:48:27 -0700, ophelia_immortal1 wrote:

I am almost finished building a workbench in my garage. This is my
first wood working project and I am very surpised at how it turned
out. But I need help to finish it. Does anyone know of something I
could cover it with to protect it. Maybe some kind of rubber matting
or a paint that would keep it from soaking up anything or getting nics
and cuts. Thanks

So, you want your workbench and shop to look like a museum piece, never
touched and always in mint condition? Silly. A workbench is a workbench,
another convenience on the way to getting some work done. So what if it
gets nicked or distressed.

A good epoxy paint or several layers of polyurethane will make it look
good, but even these will wear in time. You didn't mention the wood.
Have you considered oil such as Watco? Protects and looks good. Simple
to apply.

If you want to protect the top while you work, keep several materials on
hand to protect the wood: carpet, vinyl, laminate. Just about anything
will work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

franz frippl wrote in
et:

So, you want your workbench and shop to look like a museum piece,
never touched and always in mint condition? Silly. A workbench is a
workbench, another convenience on the way to getting some work done.
So what if it gets nicked or distressed.

*snip*

Workbench? I have one of those? Maybe if I get some of these tools off
it... :-)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hardboard aka Masonite... cheap and replaceable. I also use carpet pad on
mine, more to protect the project than the workbench since mine all have osb
tops.

One thing you'll learn about this group, you can ask a simple question and
get a dozen replies that don't answer your question. :-) But that's what
makes it unique.

Welcome to the Wunnerful World of Woodworkin'

Will

Posted to rec.woodworking

Henry Law wrote:

I intend to make a hardboard (aka Masonite) top for it, cut to size

and
possibly with some pegs or something to hold it down. That'll be when
I'm using it for scruffy things that don't need a "proper" bench (e.g.
mixing paint, degunking bike chains, plumbing with a blowlamp, etc).

But when I'm using it for proper woodwork - needing bench stops and

end
vices and holdfasts and dogs and cats and all that sort of thing, off
will come the cover and it will be a real bench!

My money says it will never happen.

About the 2nd, maybe 3rd time you put the hardboard back, it will stay
on or else it will come off and somehow, never get put back.

Why not just put some fiddles on the bench to keep the hardboard in
place and when it gets mucked up, replace it?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

I keep a spare piece or two of 1/4 masonite to lay over my bench top when
I'm servicing the chain saw or some other nasty task. Keeps the top a lot
nicer that way.

Old Guy

"WHWood" wrote in message
Hardboard aka Masonite... cheap and replaceable. I also use carpet pad on
mine, more to protect the project than the workbench since mine all have
osb tops.

One thing you'll learn about this group, you can ask a simple question and
get a dozen replies that don't answer your question. :-) But that's what
makes it unique.

Welcome to the Wunnerful World of Woodworkin'

Will

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Maybe some kind of rubber matting
or a paint that would keep it from soaking up anything or getting nics
and cuts.

Nicks and cuts are badges of honor to a bench. When necessary, simply
scrape or plane them out.

As for protecting from glue drips and finish spills, which can mar
future work with dents and scratches, I have a roll of rosin paper
hanging on a ceiling mounted pipe rack next to the bench.

The paper is cheap, reusable, very durable, and will prevent all but a
major oil spill from penetrating. My bench is also protected from grimy
bicycle or power tool parts, which often have substances on them that I
don't want on my work. I can usually get many hours of use from each
paper cover, and there's no ink to rub off like newsprint.

The rack is a simple section of 1" black iron pipe with caps on the
pre-threaded ends, like a toilet paper or horizontal paper towel holder.
The pipe is suspended from the ceiling with threaded rod, hangers, and
flanges. A strip of paper can be unfurled nearly to the floor, which
nicely matches my bench length, and sliced off with my ever-present
utility knife. To change the paper, I simply unscrew the cap on one
end, slide the pipe partially out, and replace the roll. Usually, as I
do this, my wife asks why I can't do the same with toilet paper, as I
always leave it on the counter.

The rack parts are all in the plumbing dept. of any home center, and the
paper is near the hardwood flooring.

Bicycle and appliance boxes, also make good, free protection. I often
cover finished flooring and counter tops with bicycle box sides to
protect them during installs. Large cardboard slabs and rosin paper can
also be shrink wrapped to finished work for delivery protection.

workbench Cuprager UK diy 13 August 1st 06 11:21 PM
Workbench Baz UK diy 0 March 9th 06 03:34 PM
Workbench Plans Added to Workbench Website Tim C Woodworking 9 March 24th 05 03:13 AM
workbench Chris Woodworking 0 November 27th 04 08:16 AM
WORKBENCH J T Woodworking 0 March 14th 04 06:13 AM