Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels Lee Michaels is offline

Default Workbench

"Stoutman" asked

Keep it from getting nicks and cuts?? You did say this was a
"Workbench", right??

That is funny.

That comment brings back memories of my "first nick" of my shiny new maple
workbench. I found a small maple workbench that was a retail model of a
much larger bench. It was missing a couple parts and wasn't as big as the
real deal, but it was maple and solid as a rock. I offered a low price and
it was accepted. I replaced the missing parts, made me some bench dogs and
was quite happy with my new find.

I did a variety of projects, always making sure I never disturbed the shiny
finish on the pretty maple bench top. I used hardboard, carpet and whatever
was handy to protect that surface of any kind of indignity.

One day, I was making some signs out of lexan (polycarbonate). I had a
little dremel rotary tool mounted in a baby router base. I put the lettering
underneath the plastic and foloowed it to cut groove with the baby router.
I would go over it later to deepen and widen the the groove.

I was tired and made a mistake. I set the depth to deep on the baby router.
I ended up routing a number of shapes into my bench top. I was devastated.
My pretty new bench now had an injury! I came out the next day to plan some
kind of repair when I had a revelation as to how ridiculous this whole thing
was.

The bench was sturdy and heavy. It did not matter how pretty the top was.
Besides, if you stand back and look at it it was still pretty. I was
embarrassed that I made such a big deal out of it. But it was the prettiest
bench I ever owned.

I would like to think I am more mature and rational now. But I will settle
for more pragmatic and cynical.

Lee Michaels