Posted to rec.woodworking
Henry Law Henry Law is offline

Default Workbench

wrote:
I am almost finished building a workbench in my garage. This is my
first wood working project and I am very surpised at how it turned
out. But I need help to finish it. Does anyone know of something I
could cover it with to protect it.

I sympathise with your feelings but I'd chime in with the others who
take the line "It's a bench, for working on; live with it". So here's a
compromise, which I propose to implement when I build my new bench
(which will be Real Soon Now).

I intend to make a hardboard (aka Masonite) top for it, cut to size and
possibly with some pegs or something to hold it down. That'll be when
I'm using it for scruffy things that don't need a "proper" bench (e.g.
mixing paint, degunking bike chains, plumbing with a blowlamp, etc).

But when I'm using it for proper woodwork - needing bench stops and end
vices and holdfasts and dogs and cats and all that sort of thing, off
will come the cover and it will be a real bench!

--

Henry Law Manchester, England