Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y B A R R Y is offline

Default Workbench

wrote:
Maybe some kind of rubber matting
or a paint that would keep it from soaking up anything or getting nics
and cuts.

Nicks and cuts are badges of honor to a bench. When necessary, simply
scrape or plane them out.

As for protecting from glue drips and finish spills, which can mar
future work with dents and scratches, I have a roll of rosin paper
hanging on a ceiling mounted pipe rack next to the bench.

The paper is cheap, reusable, very durable, and will prevent all but a
major oil spill from penetrating. My bench is also protected from grimy
bicycle or power tool parts, which often have substances on them that I
don't want on my work. I can usually get many hours of use from each
paper cover, and there's no ink to rub off like newsprint.

The rack is a simple section of 1" black iron pipe with caps on the
pre-threaded ends, like a toilet paper or horizontal paper towel holder.
The pipe is suspended from the ceiling with threaded rod, hangers, and
flanges. A strip of paper can be unfurled nearly to the floor, which
nicely matches my bench length, and sliced off with my ever-present
utility knife. To change the paper, I simply unscrew the cap on one
end, slide the pipe partially out, and replace the roll. Usually, as I
do this, my wife asks why I can't do the same with toilet paper, as I
always leave it on the counter.

The rack parts are all in the plumbing dept. of any home center, and the
paper is near the hardwood flooring.

Bicycle and appliance boxes, also make good, free protection. I often
cover finished flooring and counter tops with bicycle box sides to
protect them during installs. Large cardboard slabs and rosin paper can
also be shrink wrapped to finished work for delivery protection.