Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Workbench

wrote:
| I am almost finished building a workbench in my garage. This is my
| first wood working project and I am very surpised at how it turned
| out. But I need help to finish it. Does anyone know of something I
| could cover it with to protect it. Maybe some kind of rubber
| matting or a paint that would keep it from soaking up anything or
| getting nics and cuts. Thanks

I have a piece of soft indoor/outdoor carpet the same size as my
benchtop that protects the stuff I work on at the bench.
Coincidentally, it offers a bit of protection to the bench - but that
isn't its primary function.

I also have a roll of rubber matting (made from recycled tires,
AFAICT) that started out under huge rolls of paper shipped in
semi-trailers. A trucker friend gifted me with about 80' after he
delivered the paper. It's pretty good for cushioning a working surface
(as well as the concrete floor in front of my bench and
frequently-used tools).

Tempered hardboard works well when you want a hard, slick working
surface. Just tack it in place and replace it when it becomes too worn
or scarred.

I've become partial to the indoor/outdoor carpet surface.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar