Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett Lew Hodgett is offline

Default Workbench

Henry Law wrote:

I intend to make a hardboard (aka Masonite) top for it, cut to size

and
possibly with some pegs or something to hold it down. That'll be when
I'm using it for scruffy things that don't need a "proper" bench (e.g.
mixing paint, degunking bike chains, plumbing with a blowlamp, etc).

But when I'm using it for proper woodwork - needing bench stops and

end
vices and holdfasts and dogs and cats and all that sort of thing, off
will come the cover and it will be a real bench!

My money says it will never happen.

About the 2nd, maybe 3rd time you put the hardboard back, it will stay
on or else it will come off and somehow, never get put back.

Why not just put some fiddles on the bench to keep the hardboard in
place and when it gets mucked up, replace it?

Lew