Posted to rec.woodworking
Peter Ashby Peter Ashby is offline

Default Workbench

Andrew Barss wrote:

wrote:
: I am almost finished building a workbench in my garage. This is my
: first wood working project and I am very surpised at how it turned
: out. But I need help to finish it. Does anyone know of something I
: could cover it with to protect it. Maybe some kind of rubber matting
: or a paint that would keep it from soaking up anything or getting nics
: and cuts. Thanks

Try a mix of equal parts linseed or tung oil; wax; and turpentine (the real
stuff). It's renewable; will repell other finsihes and spills; and
looks nice.

When the bench gets the occasional ding, think of it as adding character.
Keep the bulletproof finishes for the dining table.

Seconded, my bench top is stained and waxed with a good hard paste wax
then buffed untily my arms fall off. Paint, glue blobs, oil etc either
wipe off or come of with a swipe of a plastic scraper aka ex credit card
things. Periodically, no more than once a year, only when necessary I
have at it with white spirit and a webrax pad and put some more wax on.
Dings look good, an undinged bench says this guy is a poser who simply
collects tools and never uses them.

Peter
www.the-brights.net