Posted to rec.woodworking
Barry Lennox Barry Lennox is offline

Default Workbench

On 29 May 2007 16:48:27 -0700, wrote:

I am almost finished building a workbench in my garage. This is my
first wood working project and I am very surpised at how it turned
out. But I need help to finish it. Does anyone know of something I
could cover it with to protect it. Maybe some kind of rubber matting
or a paint that would keep it from soaking up anything or getting nics
and cuts. Thanks

I finished mine with a bit of shellac, a few coats of thinned
polyurethane, then I rubbed in soya bean oil for a few days. The old
tale applies he

Once a day for a week
Once a week for a month
Once a month for a year
Once a year forever.

Though now I put it on at perhaps 2-3 times a year.

Nics and cuts ? That's what workbenches put up with!! There's no
point in having one without a few battle scars. The top on mine is
"butcher block" style 4x2 so nics and cuts will take several lifetimes
to weaken it.

Barry