Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Favorite "classic" tool?

Okay. New thread.

What is your favorite "classic" tool in the shop? You can interpret
"classic" to mean any number of things; I am going to interpret it as
meaning "they still make them the same way after 20+ years". But you
can interpret it differently if you like.

Mine would be the Porter Cable 505 half-sheet sander. Love it! It is
a bullet proof design and I don't think it could be improved much if
you tried.

Bob the Tomato
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob the Tomato wrote in
:

Okay. New thread.

What is your favorite "classic" tool in the shop? You can interpret
"classic" to mean any number of things; I am going to interpret it as
meaning "they still make them the same way after 20+ years". But you
can interpret it differently if you like.

Mine would be the Porter Cable 505 half-sheet sander. Love it! It is
a bullet proof design and I don't think it could be improved much if
you tried.

Bob the Tomato

My favorite classic tool is the tool for the job. We've all at one time
tried using the wrong tool, and sometimes it works ok, but more often it
doesn't. With the right tool for the job, you're left watching the tool
work rather than watching the sweet as it drips into your eyes.

Tried and true, tested for millenia.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 24, 3:44 am, Bob the Tomato wrote:
Okay. New thread.

What is your favorite "classic" tool in the shop? You can interpret
"classic" to mean any number of things; I am going to interpret it as
meaning "they still make them the same way after 20+ years". But you
can interpret it differently if you like.

Mine would be the Porter Cable 505 half-sheet sander. Love it! It is
a bullet proof design and I don't think it could be improved much if
you tried.

Bob the Tomato

My favorite is the Yankee #130 push-pull screw driver and it never
wears the batteries down.
Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 May 2007 07:44:27 GMT, Bob the Tomato
wrote:

Okay. New thread.

What is your favorite "classic" tool in the shop? You can interpret
"classic" to mean any number of things; I am going to interpret it as
meaning "they still make them the same way after 20+ years". But you
can interpret it differently if you like.

Mine would be the Porter Cable 505 half-sheet sander. Love it! It is
a bullet proof design and I don't think it could be improved much if
you tried.

Bob the Tomato

Perhaps not quite what you meant, but I get the warmest glow from
spending 15 mins restoring some "crappy old" chisel I bought for 50c
in a garage sale to a thing of beauty, and scary sharp

Posted to rec.woodworking

Most of my tools are corded but I feel as if I get a lot of pleasure
when I use a old Record Shoulder plane to trim up the tenons and
respective shoulders. I have used a few jack planes too with simialr
feeling but I know I don't have the patience to develop the skill to
use planes more often. Anyway, making a few shavings and seeing the
desired results with a plane dictates my choice of the Rec Shoulder
plane as my favorite "Classic" tool.

Marc

On May 24, 3:44 am, Bob the Tomato wrote:
Okay. New thread.

What is your favorite "classic" tool in the shop? You can interpret
"classic" to mean any number of things; I am going to interpret it as
meaning "they still make them the same way after 20+ years". But you
can interpret it differently if you like.

Mine would be the Porter Cable 505 half-sheet sander. Love it! It is
a bullet proof design and I don't think it could be improved much if
you tried.

Bob the Tomato

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 24, 3:44 am, Bob the Tomato wrote:
Okay. New thread.

What is your favorite "classic" tool in the shop? You can interpret
"classic" to mean any number of things; I am going to interpret it as
meaning "they still make them the same way after 20+ years". But you
can interpret it differently if you like.

Mine would be the Porter Cable 505 half-sheet sander. Love it! It is
a bullet proof design and I don't think it could be improved much if
you tried.

Bob the Tomato

Without a doubt the hand plane. I am a full fledged Normite that
tried a block plane on a whim a few months ago now I have three planes.

Posted to rec.woodworking
10x 10x is offline

In article , Bob the Tomato
wrote:

What is your favorite "classic" tool in the shop?

Mine would be the Porter Cable 505 half-sheet sander

I know it sounds like an attempt at a smart ass answer, but I am
serious.

Mine would be the No. 2 pencil. How many of us could work without it
for long?

Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob the Tomato" wrote in message
Okay. New thread.

What is your favorite "classic" tool in the shop? You can interpret
"classic" to mean any number of things; I am going to interpret it as
meaning "they still make them the same way after 20+ years". But you
can interpret it differently if you like.

Mine would be the Porter Cable 505 half-sheet sander. Love it! It is
a bullet proof design and I don't think it could be improved much if
you tried.

Bob the Tomato

Probably the one that 90% of the people have and simply take for granted.
The Table Saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

12" Starrett combination square.

Previously, I owned cheapies and never really used them. Most frequently I
use it as a marking gauge in conjunction with the marking knife, but also as
a trisquare and a ruler.

The only improvement that I could see in that tool is the graduation marks:
1/8 & 1/16 one side and 1/32 & 1/64 on the other.

mini-rant

IMO no direct-read measuring tool (that is, no manification, like a
thickness caliper or a dial indicator) should be graduated in 1/32. I can
interpolate to around .01

IME 1/64 actually harder to read than 1/32 for measurements +/- 1/128.

-Steve

"Bob the Tomato" wrote in message
Okay. New thread.

What is your favorite "classic" tool in the shop? You can interpret
"classic" to mean any number of things; I am going to interpret it as
meaning "they still make them the same way after 20+ years". But you
can interpret it differently if you like.

Mine would be the Porter Cable 505 half-sheet sander. Love it! It is
a bullet proof design and I don't think it could be improved much if
you tried.

Bob the Tomato

Posted to rec.woodworking

What is your favorite "classic" tool in the shop? You can interpret
"classic" to mean any number of things; I am going to interpret it as
meaning "they still make them the same way after 20+ years".

After thinking about it for a little while, I think I have 3 responses
in different "categories". Great-grandfather's drill press, standard
front vise on my workbench, and the LN LABP (even though LN's version
might not have been around for 20 years, I'd still say it's a
"classic"). I'd have to say all 3 get used on basically every single
project I do, and all are comfortable and fun to use (with the
occasional exception of the vise, on which I cheaped out a little bit,
but I'm working on a few ways to improve that...)
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 24, 8:38 am, "Leon" wrote:
"Bob the Tomato" wrote in messagenews:38ga53p7modplf1b2m41p5l94r3em9f20a@4ax .com...

Okay. New thread.

What is your favorite "classic" tool in the shop? You can interpret
"classic" to mean any number of things; I am going to interpret it as
meaning "they still make them the same way after 20+ years". But you
can interpret it differently if you like.

Mine would be the Porter Cable 505 half-sheet sander. Love it! It is
a bullet proof design and I don't think it could be improved much if
you tried.

Bob the Tomato

Probably the one that 90% of the people have and simply take for granted.
The Table Saw.

Personally my favorite is my 50 yo powermatic 66 table saw heavry at
hell had to take it down to pieces to move it in my shop but well
worth the effort, my grand daughter will be selling this one, I'm the
third onwer, both other owners were professional cabinetmakers, I do
cabinet work and furniture as a hobby but do sell what I make

Posted to rec.woodworking

I would add my ancient Stanley router plane, not used often but priceless
when it's needed and of course my collection of card scrapers. The card
scraper is so damned useful...everything from rough stripping to glue
removal to final finishing of highly figured wood.
Dave
"Bob the Tomato" wrote in message
Okay. New thread.

What is your favorite "classic" tool in the shop? You can interpret
"classic" to mean any number of things; I am going to interpret it as
meaning "they still make them the same way after 20+ years". But you
can interpret it differently if you like.

Mine would be the Porter Cable 505 half-sheet sander. Love it! It is
a bullet proof design and I don't think it could be improved much if
you tried.

Bob the Tomato

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Okay. New thread.

What is your favorite "classic" tool in the shop? You can interpret
"classic" to mean any number of things; I am going to interpret it as
meaning "they still make them the same way after 20+ years". But you
can interpret it differently if you like.

Mine would be the Porter Cable 505 half-sheet sander. Love it! It is
a bullet proof design and I don't think it could be improved much if
you tried.

Bob the Tomato

Have to say it's my workbench. I'm always using it. As for power
tools, my table saw.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 24 May 2007 06:51:34 -0700, "
wrote:

Personally my favorite is my 50 yo powermatic 66 table saw heavry at
hell had to take it down to pieces to move it in my shop but well
worth the effort, my grand daughter will be selling this one,

If it makes it that long. One time I mentioned to my daughter that I'd
bought a new blurfl of some sort or other and she rolled her eyes
(talk about **** rolling down hill--just like her grandmother...and
her father).

I said, "what's the matter? It's all going to wind up with you and
your brother, anyway." And she instantly replied, "yeah, biggest ebay
sale ever."

So much for handing stuff down.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

samson wrote:

That would have to be my draw knife. But you don't
want to pull it too far. That's what happened to my
half-brother.

GROAN - after chuckling.

Before the Veritas rabbet/block plane - "It's a block plane!
"It's a rabbet plane! It's TWO planes in one!" Leave it to
Veritas to actually mean New AND Improved - innovative
folks them Veritasers.

But probably the most versatile and most often used
"classic tool" is the real woodworkers bench - designed
and built for the type of woodworking you're doing - or
plan / dream of doing. Who ever said "workbench" was
probably the best answer IMHO.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

Before the Veritas rabbet/block plane - "It's a block plane!
"It's a rabbet plane! It's TWO planes in one!" Leave it to
Veritas to actually mean New AND Improved - innovative
folks them Veritasers.

Veritas has a rabbet block plane? I haven't seen it on their
website. Do you mean their shoulder plane? Or do you mean the LN
rabbet block? Or has this wonderful combo been discontinued?
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LRod" wrote in message

I said, "what's the matter? It's all going to wind up with you and
your brother, anyway." And she instantly replied, "yeah, biggest ebay
sale ever."

So much for handing stuff down.

LOL,, They just don't understand.... I can relate, I have a shop full of
equipment and my son shows little interest and less interest his mothers 2
sewing machines that cost close to 10K between the two.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

LOL,, They just don't understand.... I can relate, I have a

shop full of
equipment and my son shows little interest and less interest his

mothers 2
sewing machines that cost close to 10K between the two.

A suggestion:

Set up an endowment funded with the contents of your shop to teach
industrial arts to the underprivledged in your area.

Would take some work, but should be worth the effort.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

10x wrote in :

I know it sounds like an attempt at a smart ass answer, but I am
serious.

Mine would be the No. 2 pencil. How many of us could work without it
for long?

Joe

Hm... you have a point, but a ball point pen marks wood too. (Well,
SOMEONE'S got to be a smart alec.)

I suppose most the marks I make with a pencil could be done with a knife,
but they wouldn't show up very well. Ever just dotted a mark and then
gone looking for it 30 seconds later? It's that kind of thing.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
hlink.net...

A suggestion:

Set up an endowment funded with the contents of your shop to teach
industrial arts to the underprivledged in your area.

Would take some work, but should be worth the effort.

Lew

Being old but not that old, I will probably have to sell all my tools to buy
gas before I go. :~)
But certainly something to think about.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 May 2007 07:38:36 -0400, 10x wrote:

In article , Bob the Tomato
wrote:

What is your favorite "classic" tool in the shop?

Mine would be the Porter Cable 505 half-sheet sander

I know it sounds like an attempt at a smart ass answer, but I am
serious.

Mine would be the No. 2 pencil. How many of us could work without it
for long?

Joe

I could. I use a marking knife most often. Sometimes the pencil.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 May 2007 17:12:40 +0100, LRod
wrote:

On 24 May 2007 06:51:34 -0700, "
wrote:

Personally my favorite is my 50 yo powermatic 66 table saw heavry at
hell had to take it down to pieces to move it in my shop but well
worth the effort, my grand daughter will be selling this one,

If it makes it that long. One time I mentioned to my daughter that I'd
bought a new blurfl of some sort or other and she rolled her eyes
(talk about **** rolling down hill--just like her grandmother...and
her father).

I said, "what's the matter? It's all going to wind up with you and
your brother, anyway." And she instantly replied, "yeah, biggest ebay
sale ever."

So much for handing stuff down.

Better you see what's coming for your and sell it or give it to
someone of your choice. When they sell your stuff, they'll be happy
to take a buck and half apiece for your Lie-Nielsen planes They just
don't know. Or care.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Okay. New thread.

What is your favorite "classic" tool in the shop? You can interpret
"classic" to mean any number of things; I am going to interpret it as
meaning "they still make them the same way after 20+ years". But you
can interpret it differently if you like.

Mine would be the Porter Cable 505 half-sheet sander. Love it! It is
a bullet proof design and I don't think it could be improved much if
you tried.

Bob the Tomato

Tough call. My own favorite "classic" is my DJ-20 jointer.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Don't worry about the sewing machines. Those electronic jobs don't last that
long and, when they break, it's often impossible to get parts. I'll stick
with my 1947 and 1960 Singers.

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"LRod" wrote in message

I said, "what's the matter? It's all going to wind up with you and
your brother, anyway." And she instantly replied, "yeah, biggest ebay
sale ever."

So much for handing stuff down.

LOL,, They just don't understand.... I can relate, I have a shop full

of
equipment and my son shows little interest and less interest his mothers 2
sewing machines that cost close to 10K between the two.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"LRod" wrote in message
I said, "what's the matter? It's all going to wind up with you and
your brother, anyway." And she instantly replied, "yeah, biggest ebay
sale ever."

So much for handing stuff down.

LOL,, They just don't understand.... I can relate, I have a shop full of
equipment and my son shows little interest and less interest his mothers 2
sewing machines that cost close to 10K between the two.

10K for two sewing machines? Dang. I hope they can sew together some kool
woodworking projects for that kinda loot. I am happy with my $150 Singer
walking foot industrial machine circa 1952.

Wayne
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

LOL,, They just don't understand.... I can relate, I have a shop full

of
equipment and my son shows little interest and less interest his mothers 2
sewing machines that cost close to 10K between the two.

Yabbut, your son is too smart to fall for either of those pursuits ... it's
a good bet that at some point in the future he will probably own a Fortune
500 company, and you don't get there quilting or building cabinets.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07