Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M Stephen M is offline

Default Favorite "classic" tool?

12" Starrett combination square.

Previously, I owned cheapies and never really used them. Most frequently I
use it as a marking gauge in conjunction with the marking knife, but also as
a trisquare and a ruler.

The only improvement that I could see in that tool is the graduation marks:
1/8 & 1/16 one side and 1/32 & 1/64 on the other.

mini-rant

IMO no direct-read measuring tool (that is, no manification, like a
thickness caliper or a dial indicator) should be graduated in 1/32. I can
interpolate to around .01

IME 1/64 actually harder to read than 1/32 for measurements +/- 1/128.

-Steve

"Bob the Tomato" wrote in message
Okay. New thread.

What is your favorite "classic" tool in the shop? You can interpret
"classic" to mean any number of things; I am going to interpret it as
meaning "they still make them the same way after 20+ years". But you
can interpret it differently if you like.

Mine would be the Porter Cable 505 half-sheet sander. Love it! It is
a bullet proof design and I don't think it could be improved much if
you tried.

Bob the Tomato