Posted to alt.home.repair
ET1742

Default Tool for door hinge "insets"?

I am about to hang an interior bedroom door and want to "inset"(?) the
hinges so they will be flush with the door and the door jam. I know
I could just try to chisel out the spaces for the hinges. But is there some
kind of tool or gadget out there that is made for this (other than a
router)?

Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

a router is the way to go. however, even if you use a chisel, using a
butt hinge marker (google this) will help. also, invest in a vix bit
for drilling pilot holes for your screws.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ET1742

Thanks. I had never heard of a butt hinge marker or a vix bit. But I did
the Google search and they both look good for what I want to do. I'll look
for them at Lowes, Home Depot, ACE Hardware, etc. later today. I especially
like the vix bit idea since no matter how many times I try to drill pilot
holes for hinges, they never seem to end up being centered correctly.
Thanks again.

"marson" wrote in message
ups.com...
a router is the way to go. however, even if you use a chisel, using a
butt hinge marker (google this) will help. also, invest in a vix bit
for drilling pilot holes for your screws.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Nospam

Marson,
I have the same problem.
How does one control the router to get the right shape?
Thanks for the tip on the Vix bit.
Regards,
Robert
"marson" wrote in message
ups.com...
a router is the way to go. however, even if you use a chisel, using a
butt hinge marker (google this) will help. also, invest in a vix bit
for drilling pilot holes for your screws.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green

On This Old House I saw Tom Silva use a plastic clamp-on door hinge template
for his router. IIRC, he said the big boxes sell them.

Google found this one:

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...ARTNUM=114-674

I've not used them or the vendor, but it if Tom Silva uses something like
them, that's all the endorsement I need. :-)

--
Bobby G.

"Nospam" wrote in message

Marson,
I have the same problem.
How does one control the router to get the right shape?
Thanks for the tip on the Vix bit.
Regards,
Robert
ups.com...

Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 5 April 14th 05 05:39 PM
Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Woodworking 4 April 13th 05 02:50 AM
drive pin on R8 collets Charles A. Sherwood Metalworking 50 July 9th 04 05:41 AM
Leatherman Tool Henry E Schaffer Woodworking 13 August 27th 03 06:17 AM