Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is this a US-only group?

It's interesting; most of the groups I follow have a mixture of people
from all over the world; lots of US people of course, almost as many
from the UK, and a sprinkling of others, mostly from countries where
English is spoken well (Canadians of course, Ireland, the Dutch, all the
Scandinavians, the Finns, most of India and Pakistan, Malaysia, ...).
But a quick scan through this group just now, though hardly rigorous,
showed me only US posters and lots of US-specific topics (Home Depot,
Craigs list ...)

Before you start to hit the keyboard harder read this, though: it's fine
with me if the answer is "yes": it's just odd, that's all.

--

Henry Law Manchester, England
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Henry Law" wrote in message
It's interesting; most of the groups I follow have a mixture of people
from all over the world; lots of US people of course, almost as many from
the UK, and a sprinkling of others, mostly from countries where English is
spoken well (Canadians of course, Ireland, the Dutch, all the
Scandinavians, the Finns, most of India and Pakistan, Malaysia, ...). But
a quick scan through this group just now, though hardly rigorous, showed
me only US posters and lots of US-specific topics (Home Depot, Craigs list
...)

Before you start to hit the keyboard harder read this, though: it's fine
with me if the answer is "yes": it's just odd, that's all.

--

Henry Law Manchester, England

I think it includes all of Europe and Australia as well. The majority of
posters are North Americans, but speaking for myself, all who make sawdust
and shavings (or want to) are certainly welcome.
One of our favorite sources of quality tools is Lee Valley and they are a
Canadian company. It seems that Hitachi used to be Italian ( I may be wrong
about that though).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Henry Law wrote:
| It's interesting; most of the groups I follow have a mixture of
| people from all over the world; lots of US people of course, almost
| as many from the UK, and a sprinkling of others, mostly from
| countries where English is spoken well (Canadians of course,
| Ireland, the Dutch, all the Scandinavians, the Finns, most of India
| and Pakistan, Malaysia, ...). But a quick scan through this group
| just now, though hardly rigorous, showed me only US posters and
| lots of US-specific topics (Home Depot, Craigs list ...)
|
| Before you start to hit the keyboard harder read this, though: it's
| fine with me if the answer is "yes": it's just odd, that's all.

As of 04:04 this morning, these are the recorded May hits by
domain/country at my web site. I think most of the search engine hits
fall into either the "Network" or "US Commercial" catagories. Nearly
all of my site activity is the result of posting articles here and to
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

There have been 106401 total hits so far in May - from 67 countries.
Here are the "Top 30":

1 41364 38.88% Network
2 27573 25.91% US Commercial
3 14367 13.50% Unresolved/Unknown
4 3051 2.87% Canada
5 2865 2.69% India
6 1920 1.80% Australia
7 1551 1.46% Italy
8 1233 1.16% Hungary
9 1110 1.04% US Educational
10 1107 1.04% United Kingdom
11 1047 0.98% New Zealand (Aotearoa)
12 969 0.91% US Military
13 780 0.73% Greece
14 705 0.66% Non-Profit Organization
15 459 0.43% France
16 414 0.39% Thailand
17 402 0.38% Belgium
18 399 0.37% Brazil
19 399 0.37% Mexico
20 396 0.37% Poland
21 324 0.30% Netherlands
22 318 0.30% United States
23 300 0.28% Sweden
24 282 0.27% Czech Republic
25 279 0.26% Switzerland
26 267 0.25% Finland
27 264 0.25% Germany
28 252 0.24% US Government
29 219 0.21% Turkey
30 192 0.18% Japan

Methinks there are a _lot_ more lurkers than posters. I wish more of
the lurkers would join in our discussions...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 20 May 2007 19:01:59 +0100, Henry Law
wrote:

Before you start to hit the keyboard harder read this, though: it's fine
with me if the answer is "yes": it's just odd, that's all.

No.

I've gotten replies from folks all over, including a gent in Iceland.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Not yet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Henry:

AFAIK; this newsgroup is dominated by posters from North America,
although, I suspect many more read this NG

There are several forums, which are moderated, that have many more EU
members. I recommend:
http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/index.php

It seems that in the UK, there are lots more problems with finding wood
suppliers than most North American's have any concept of. I, as someone
who lives in North America, finds the price you pay in the UK for raw wood
products / lumber is just unbelievably too high. Doesn't your lumber have
have some sort of certification that the source of the lumber is from a re-
newable forest or some such?

Phil

"Henry Law" wrote in message
It's interesting; most of the groups I follow have a mixture of people
from all over the world; lots of US people of course, almost as many from
the UK, and a sprinkling of others, mostly from countries where English is
spoken well (Canadians of course, Ireland, the Dutch, all the
Scandinavians, the Finns, most of India and Pakistan, Malaysia, ...). But
a quick scan through this group just now, though hardly rigorous, showed
me only US posters and lots of US-specific topics (Home Depot, Craigs list
...)

Before you start to hit the keyboard harder read this, though: it's fine
with me if the answer is "yes": it's just odd, that's all.

--

Henry Law Manchester, England

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 20 May 2007 19:01:59 +0100, Henry Law
wrote:

Not 100%

Barry, Christchurch, New Zealand.
Posted to rec.woodworking

At least one from Nelson, New Zealand

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking

Henry Law wrote:
It's interesting; most of the groups I follow have a mixture of people
from all over the world; lots of US people of course, almost as many
from the UK, and a sprinkling of others, mostly from countries where
English is spoken well (Canadians of course, Ireland, the Dutch, all the
Scandinavians, the Finns, most of India and Pakistan, Malaysia, ...).
But a quick scan through this group just now, though hardly rigorous,
showed me only US posters and lots of US-specific topics (Home Depot,
Craigs list ...)

Before you start to hit the keyboard harder read this, though: it's fine
with me if the answer is "yes": it's just odd, that's all.

Although many of the posters and topics on "the wreck" are from the US
of A and Canada, posters from all over the world are more than welcome.

David Starr

Posted to rec.woodworking

Henry Law wrote:
It's interesting; most of the groups I follow have a mixture of people
from all over the world; lots of US people of course, almost as many
from the UK, and a sprinkling of others, mostly from countries where
English is spoken well (Canadians of course, Ireland, the Dutch, all the
Scandinavians, the Finns, most of India and Pakistan, Malaysia, ...).
But a quick scan through this group just now, though hardly rigorous,
showed me only US posters and lots of US-specific topics (Home Depot,
Craigs list ...)

Before you start to hit the keyboard harder read this, though: it's fine
with me if the answer is "yes": it's just odd, that's all.

Lots are but there a couple of blokes from Oz, me being one.
I've learnt some interesting things in this group over the years and
hopefully been able to help a few people on the way.
It does get a little frustrating tho, when you mention an Aussie Co such
as Bunnings and get no response and when Home depot is mentioned the
flood gates open. Oh well that's what you get when your the 51st state

Just have fun

regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 20, 2:01 pm, Henry Law wrote:

Before you start to hit the keyboard harder read this, though: it's fine
with me if the answer is "yes": it's just odd, that's all.

I'm so glad you approve, you limey-****.

*group hug* Canada here standing on guard for thee and willing to
share all I know about sub-zero glueing techniques.

You eel-pie munching, warm beer slurping peeps are truly my favourite
crowd. Truly.

How can I be of service?

Posted to rec.woodworking

John B wrote:

snip

| It does get a little frustrating tho, when you mention an Aussie Co
| such as Bunnings and get no response and when Home depot is
| mentioned the flood gates open. Oh well that's what you get when
| your the 51st state

John...

I hadn't thought about that. Would it help if the subject of articles
dealing with tool/wood sources carried a US-vendor/CA-vendor/etc tag?

This might facilitate filtering out stuff of little or no interest to
people in other regions...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 21, 1:27 am, John B wrote:
Oh well that's what you get when your the 51st state

Bite your tongue.
I have been to Oz and just bought a very expensive sander from Oz. I
wish I could live in Oz, but I don't have the 1/2 million I need to
prove that I don't 'need' to live in Oz.
You live on the finest island on this earth.
You have everything you need to live wonderful lives, except good
beer, nice looking women and you drive on the wrong frickin' side of
the road. Those traffic circles really messed with my head, dude.

DAMN, I had a good time there......

(you know I'm kidding ya about the wimmin there, right, mate?)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

expurgated

Wow!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

John B wrote:

snip

| It does get a little frustrating tho, when you mention an Aussie Co
| such as Bunnings and get no response and when Home depot is
| mentioned the flood gates open. Oh well that's what you get when
| your the 51st state

John...

I hadn't thought about that. Would it help if the subject of articles
dealing with tool/wood sources carried a US-vendor/CA-vendor/etc tag?

This might facilitate filtering out stuff of little or no interest to
people in other regions...

It has been my experience that we all lust for things on the other side of
the fence.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

John B wrote:

snip

| It does get a little frustrating tho, when you mention an Aussie Co
| such as Bunnings and get no response and when Home depot is
| mentioned the flood gates open. Oh well that's what you get when
| your the 51st state

John...

I hadn't thought about that. Would it help if the subject of articles
dealing with tool/wood sources carried a US-vendor/CA-vendor/etc tag?

This might facilitate filtering out stuff of little or no interest to
people in other regions...

It has been my experience that we all lust for things on the other side of
the fence.

You mean that topless 20-year-old cutting the grass on the other side of
the street?

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

Robatoy wrote:

expurgated

Wow!

LOL.. One year, I took the train to Dover (from London) to take the
ferry from there to Belgium. Turns out, we missed one and 'had' to stay
in Dover for the night. We closed the pub called Golden Arrow and were
adopted by a few locals who got the biggest kick out my asking the
question: Where is Vera Lynn's statue? We're in touch today, and I have
tried on several occasions to make it past Jolly Ol'..on my way to my
home-country, but I seem to get stuck in the UK every time I try to get
through it.
So steeped in history. What a wonderful place. Warm beer...hey..Lucas
fridges, right?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 21, 12:47 am, Robatoy wrote:
On May 20, 2:01 pm, Henry Law wrote:

Before you start to hit the keyboard harder read this, though: it's fine
with me if the answer is "yes": it's just odd, that's all.

I'm so glad you approve, you limey-****.

*group hug* Canada here standing on guard for thee and willing to
share all I know about sub-zero glueing techniques.

You eel-pie munching, warm beer slurping peeps are truly my favourite
crowd. Truly.

How can I be of service?

Jeeezus....

I quoted the whole thing so I wouldn't be accused of taking something
out of context.

I am thinking you don't like Henry for some reason. His post seemed
pretty innocuous, and (unless talking about GHWB) seem pretty mellow.

How did he **** in your oaties?

No, I'm no trying to be snide, funny or obtuse, here. I am just
feeling like I missed something, just about the time the all the air
left the room.

(as he backs carefully away from his monitor hoping not to get bitch
slapped...)

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 21, 2:28 am, "
wrote:
On May 21, 12:47 am, Robatoy wrote:

On May 20, 2:01 pm, Henry Law wrote:

Before you start to hit the keyboard harder read this, though: it's fine
with me if the answer is "yes": it's just odd, that's all.

I'm so glad you approve, you limey-****.

*group hug* Canada here standing on guard for thee and willing to
share all I know about sub-zero glueing techniques.

You eel-pie munching, warm beer slurping peeps are truly my favourite
crowd. Truly.

How can I be of service?

Jeeezus....

I quoted the whole thing so I wouldn't be accused of taking something
out of context.

I am thinking you don't like Henry for some reason. His post seemed
pretty innocuous, and (unless talking about GHWB) seem pretty mellow.

Ya kidding me? I thought his post was a welcome, refreshing
introduction.
Try taking what I said at face-value. It's similar to grabbing a bar-
stool and inviting Henry to sit his ass down and have a pint.

How did he **** in your oaties?

Noooo, man, where did this **** come from? Are things so depressing
down there that nobody 'gets' a warm welcome? (okay, maybe a bit edgy,
but holy cow...touchy, touchy.)

No, I'm no trying to be snide, funny or obtuse, here. I am just
feeling like I missed something, just about the time the all the air
left the room.

Yup.. you missed something. You did before. I'm not evil. I am what
you see.
Now sit down and pour yourself a single malt, you dick! (That's the
affectionate 'dick')

(as he backs carefully away from his monitor hoping not to get bitch
slapped...)

What's happening to you guys down there, Robert? I mean, really? Are
you trying to tell me that you would take exception to my saying:
"Dude!!", "lemme pour a fine scotch down that ugly face of yours!"

Something gets lost in this medium.

When I said to a waitress the other day; "You must have some special
harness to keep those boobies in line.".. I got a giggle...not a
****ing lawsuit.

It's me! Rob!....keep your shirt on, already.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 21, 8:37�am, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

* So steeped in history. What a wonderful place. Warm beer...hey..Lucas
* fridges, right?

Lucas as in "The Prince Of Darkness"?

Lew

That's the great thing about this NG. With the exception of tool/
lumber outlets and some brand names, every other aspect of woodworking
is the same and the language is truly international. I'm a bit of an
odd resident, though. I'm a Yank from Boston but I've lived in the UK
for the last 27 years. And when I really want to beat myself up, I go
to the Amazon U.S. web site and look at all the wonderful CHEAP (with
current ROE, even CHEAPER!) tools and curse whoever invented customs
duties and shipping costs.

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

John B wrote:

It does get a little frustrating tho, when you mention an Aussie Co such
as Bunnings and get no response and when Home depot is mentioned the
flood gates open.

What's Bunnings?

I plan to visit Oz and New Zealand one day, but I know there's far too
many beautiful things to see to be shopping for tools. G

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Canada here standing on guard for thee

Truly one of the most beautiful national anthems. ;^)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
John B wrote:

snip

| It does get a little frustrating tho, when you mention an Aussie Co
| such as Bunnings and get no response and when Home depot is
| mentioned the flood gates open. Oh well that's what you get when
| your the 51st state

John...

I hadn't thought about that. Would it help if the subject of articles
dealing with tool/wood sources carried a US-vendor/CA-vendor/etc tag?

This might facilitate filtering out stuff of little or no interest to
people in other regions...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

G'day Morris,
Na, not really. I wasn't bitching about the US content, it's rather
amusing some times seeing the big retailers getting a serve
It was the other way around, just wishing there was a bit more Oz
content, but as the say "Wish in one hand and sh*t in the other and see
which fills first".
all the best
John
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

John B wrote:

snip

| It does get a little frustrating tho, when you mention an Aussie Co
| such as Bunnings and get no response and when Home depot is
| mentioned the flood gates open. Oh well that's what you get when
| your the 51st state

John...

I hadn't thought about that. Would it help if the subject of articles
dealing with tool/wood sources carried a US-vendor/CA-vendor/etc tag?

This might facilitate filtering out stuff of little or no interest to
people in other regions...

It has been my experience that we all lust for things on the other side of
the fence.

G'day Lee,
Very rarely do want what's on the other side of the fence. The devil you
know is better than the devil you don't.

regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On May 21, 1:27 am, John B wrote:
Oh well that's what you get when your the 51st state

Bite your tongue.
I have been to Oz and just bought a very expensive sander from Oz. I
wish I could live in Oz, but I don't have the 1/2 million I need to
prove that I don't 'need' to live in Oz.
You live on the finest island on this earth.
You have everything you need to live wonderful lives, except good
beer, nice looking women and you drive on the wrong frickin' side of
the road. Those traffic circles really messed with my head, dude.

DAMN, I had a good time there......

(you know I'm kidding ya about the wimmin there, right, mate?)

Yep, There are some lookers here.
As for the Beer, it must be an acquired taste, as don't find the Yankee
stuff much good, but it sure is a lot better than the Pommy liquid with
a beer label on it.
Sheesh, if you don't like "Round-a-bouts", don't visit Kalgoorlie, I get
dizzie just nicking down the street

all the best
John
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
John B wrote:

It does get a little frustrating tho, when you mention an Aussie Co
such as Bunnings and get no response and when Home depot is mentioned
the flood gates open.

What's Bunnings?

I plan to visit Oz and New Zealand one day, but I know there's far too
many beautiful things to see to be shopping for tools. G

Bunnings is a joke !!!
It's a "Hardware Ware House" with nothing in it Probably similar to
your Big Box stores. That's if your American.

Regards
John

Posted to rec.woodworking

John B wrote:

As for the Beer, it must be an acquired taste, as don't find the Yankee
stuff much good, but it sure is a lot better than the Pommy liquid with
a beer label on it.

If you visit, ask us about "microbrew" before you head up. It may
change your opinion of American beer!
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
John B wrote:

It does get a little frustrating tho, when you mention an Aussie Co
such as Bunnings and get no response and when Home depot is mentioned
the flood gates open.

What's Bunnings?

I plan to visit Oz and New Zealand one day, but I know there's far too
many beautiful things to see to be shopping for tools. G

Barry,
Don't bother with them 2 hills the other side of the ditch, then again
it'd be quiet as all the locals now live in OZ
"Except for the Sheep"
regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking

in 1360010 20070521 121735 FoggyTown wrote:
On May 21, 8:37=EF=BF=BDam, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

=A0 So steeped in history. What a wonderful place. Warm beer...hey..Lucas
=A0 fridges, right?

Lucas as in "The Prince Of Darkness"?

Lew

That's the great thing about this NG. With the exception of tool/
lumber outlets and some brand names, every other aspect of woodworking
is the same and the language is truly international. I'm a bit of an
odd resident, though. I'm a Yank from Boston but I've lived in the UK
for the last 27 years. And when I really want to beat myself up, I go
to the Amazon U.S. web site and look at all the wonderful CHEAP (with
current ROE, even CHEAPER!) tools and curse whoever invented customs
duties and shipping costs.

FoggyTown

It's only money - look what you get instead. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message

I plan to visit Oz and New Zealand one day, but I know there's far too
many beautiful things to see to be shopping for tools. G

Live/traveled throughout in Oz in my younger days when Yanks were a rarity
.... found the beer good and the women truly friendly.

I'm basically color blind and the only time I've ever seen green was the
North island of New Zealand (BTW, those little white specks on the sides of
the mountains were sheep). A truly beautiful country, from North to South
.... and the women were truly friendly.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John B" wrote in message
| It does get a little frustrating tho, when you mention an Aussie Co
| such as Bunnings and get no response and when Home depot is
| mentioned the flood gates open. Oh well that's what you get when
| your the 51st state

John...

I hadn't thought about that. Would it help if the subject of articles
dealing with tool/wood sources carried a US-vendor/CA-vendor/etc tag?

This might facilitate filtering out stuff of little or no interest to
people in other regions...

--
Morris Dovey

G'day Morris,
Na, not really. I wasn't bitching about the US content, it's rather
amusing some times seeing the big retailers getting a serve
It was the other way around, just wishing there was a bit more Oz content,
but as the say "Wish in one hand and sh*t in the other and see which fills
first".
all the best
John

There are other places to narrow yourself to your particular region.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/index.php?s= is a pretty good one.

One nice thing about the US folks is we're used to - dare I say - kowtowing
to minority interests. "For Spanish, press two." Al and Jesse are working
on "for Ebonics press three...."

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

? So steeped in history. What a wonderful place. Warm beer...hey..Lucas
? fridges, right?

Lucas as in "The Prince Of Darkness"?

Lew

That's the great thing about this NG. With the exception of tool/
lumber outlets and some brand names, every other aspect of woodworking
is the same and the language is truly international. I'm a bit of an
odd resident, though. I'm a Yank from Boston but I've lived in the UK
for the last 27 years. And when I really want to beat myself up, I go
to the Amazon U.S. web site and look at all the wonderful CHEAP (with
current ROE, even CHEAPER!) tools and curse whoever invented customs
duties and shipping costs.

FoggyTown

It is sad but true that the US has a lot more people who can/do crafts
of all sorts. For example: When we moved to Germany in 77 I brought
along all my stained glass stuff thinking I could buy my precious hand-
blown 'antique' style glass at the source- and cheaper than I had in
California. I was turned away at the door and informed that only
serious- guild related people could buy glass there. I had to make a
trip to the States, and buy more glass, and haul it back to Germany!
Just one more story: so far I've sold over 200 books, and sales in
Canada and Australia have been a good part of that- but just one sale
to Ireland- none in the rest of Europe. Best I can figure there just
aren't very many woodworkers there- at least not those interested in
small projects. One exception is for carvers- lots of wonderful
carvers in England. Donna Menke

Posted to rec.woodworking

on 5/21/2007 1:52 AM Morris Dovey said the following:
John B wrote:

snip

| It does get a little frustrating tho, when you mention an Aussie Co
| such as Bunnings and get no response and when Home depot is
| mentioned the flood gates open. Oh well that's what you get when
| your the 51st state

John...

I hadn't thought about that. Would it help if the subject of articles
dealing with tool/wood sources carried a US-vendor/CA-vendor/etc tag?

This might facilitate filtering out stuff of little or no interest to
people in other regions...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

I am/was a woodworker, but haven't done anything serious in years, but
as a lurker, I still like to read about others' experiences.
I, like you, give my location in my sig line. If others did the same in
worldwide newsgroups, at least we/you would know where we're/you're
coming from.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 21 May 2007 12:28:01 GMT, B A R R Y
wrote:

John B wrote:

As for the Beer, it must be an acquired taste, as don't find the Yankee
stuff much good, but it sure is a lot better than the Pommy liquid with
a beer label on it.

If you visit, ask us about "microbrew" before you head up. It may
change your opinion of American beer!

Yes there is a Winery near here "Charleville Vineyard Brewery" they
brew a nice assortment. Bit expensive though but mighty tasty.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 21, 3:37 am, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

So steeped in history. What a wonderful place. Warm beer...hey..Lucas
fridges, right?

Lucas as in "The Prince Of Darkness"?

Lew

LOL.
I could never figure out why British cars from the 50'and 60's
wouldn't start when it rained....coming FROM a country where it almost
always rains. (Last year, summer was on a Tuesday?)
One day, as four Merlin engines (on a Lancaster) gurgled to a start, I
almost peed my shorts with glee. Those Brits can do some cool
engineering.

New to group [email protected] Woodworking 2 August 7th 06 12:36 PM
New to group Morris Dovey Woodworking 0 August 7th 06 06:18 AM
New to group charlie b Woodworking 0 August 7th 06 06:08 AM
Probably not the right group for this but..... Mark Sherman Home Repair 6 October 8th 05 10:44 PM
looking for group Joshuall Electronics 0 December 14th 04 09:29 PM