Mike in Mystic

Default 1 micron vs 5 micron DC bags (or, Have my goolgle skills gone bad?)

This is a very interesting report that discusses the hazards of wood dust.
It also confirms Bill's statement regarding the risks with certain particle
size. To paraphrase, greater than 5 micron dust will collect almost
entirely in the nose, but 0.5-5 micron will be deposited in the respiratory
tract.

Here's the link:

http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/roc/tenth/p...s/s189wood.pdf

--

There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

"Igor" wrote in message
I searched in the archives for a discussion on 1 micron versus 5 micron DC
bags -- i.e., is it worth the extra money -- and could not find anything.
My hunch is that it is there but I missed it, but in any event, has anyone
here gone from a 5 to a 1 and noticed a substantial difference -- in dust
"leakage" through the bag and/or quality suckage?

(OTOH, if someone out there is a better Booler than I, I will take the
embarrassment of a pre-formatted google link.)

BTW, I have read Penn State's ode to air flow and 5 micron bags

(http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...&Store_Code=PS
I),
and I assume that they and other vendors would make the same case for the

1
micron. But, as with an earlier post of mine, I'd like to hear any
real-world accounts. Thanks.

The Man I Am

I just read a "letter to the editor" in a woodworking magazine. If I
recall, the fellow worked at one of the companies that makes DCs. He said
that 1-10 microns are the dangerous size. He also got down on the idea of
trying to use an air cleaner to keep the air safe. It cleans the air after
it has been blowing around the room for you to breathe. Better to collect
it at the source.

I just noticed the Grizzly catalog sells 0.5 micron bags.

Igor

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 16:26:51 -0500, "The Man I Am"
wrote:

I just read a "letter to the editor" in a woodworking magazine. If I
recall, the fellow worked at one of the companies that makes DCs. He said
that 1-10 microns are the dangerous size. He also got down on the idea of
trying to use an air cleaner to keep the air safe. It cleans the air after
it has been blowing around the room for you to breathe. Better to collect
it at the source.

I just noticed the Grizzly catalog sells 0.5 micron bags.

Thanks. Based on your tip, I looked at Grizzly (website), and what I found
actually says 0.3 microns.
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/pages...9&site=grizzly

But I am confused. It seems that the 0.3 micron bags are cheaper than the
3.0 micron bags. How can that be? In any case, the cost is surprisingly
low -- if they are as advertised. At least there might be a solution to
the news about 1.0 micron stuff -- for those of us who can only afford a
DC with bags. Think these bags fit other DC's - Jet, Penn State, Delta?
Steve Knight

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:46:03 GMT, Bay Area Dave wrote:

Better yet to wear the proper mask/respirator, huh?? PLUS use a DC and maybe a
shop air filter. I can't see standing in a shop full of dust, relying on a
shop air filter to pull the dust out of the air BEFORE I breathe some of it.
Doesn't make sense. While a filter will HELP clear the air, it isn't going to
be CLEAN. It will EVENTUALLY become clean, once you stop woodworking, but
while you are making dust, you will be breathing it in unless you are smart
enough to don a mask.

it's easier to make or buy a cyclone with good cartridge filters and build a
good dc with 6" pipe and work to collect all the dust from the source. I get
almost all of it now and none comes back out of the filters. I make far more
fine dust then most people too.
air cleaners really don't do a lot.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Michael Daly

On 31-Jul-2003, Bay Area Dave wrote:

Better yet to wear the proper mask/respirator, huh??

Anyone know of a good respirator that actually works for someone with
a beard? Readily available preferebly. I saw an note on one in a magazine
at the library once, but can't remember which mag nor the name/brand of
the company making it. Google search didn't turn anything up..

Mike

David Wittenberg

In article ogers.com,

| Anyone know of a good respirator that actually works for someone with
| a beard? Readily available preferebly. I saw an note on one in a magazine
| at the library once, but can't remember which mag nor the name/brand of
| the company making it. Google search didn't turn anything up..

There are a few that have a clear faceshield with a gasket at the bottom,
and a fan drawing air from behind you through a filter and then blowing it
down the front of the face shield. Not only gives you clean air, but
prevents the face shield from fogging. I think 3M makes one, and Triton
says that their version will be announced at the Anaheim show, which I think
is this week. I'm planning on taking a good look at the Triton version.

--
--David Wittenberg

David Binkowski

I'm using a Jet DC with 1 micron bags (Penn State), and that unit
sits right under my 3-speed ambient air cleaner. As I understand
it, the 1 micron bags actually get better airflow than the 5 micron.
While the gaps in the fiber are finer, there are more of them.
So the benefit it two-fold, better airflow, catches much smaller
particles.

I agree that grabbing chips/dust at the source is best, and in
conjunction with an ambient air cleaner its about the best you
can do for yourself. As long as I'm not doing prolonged
cutting I don't put a mask on but if I'm making 5 or more
cuts I'll do it to limit the dust I breath. If you cut just a few
pieces on the miter saw, try to catch a glimpse of the dust in
the air under the right fluorescent lighting. Its ghastly...

So I installed it on Linux...
"Igor" wrote in message
I searched in the archives for a discussion on 1 micron versus 5 micron DC
bags -- i.e., is it worth the extra money -- and could not find anything.
My hunch is that it is there but I missed it, but in any event, has anyone
here gone from a 5 to a 1 and noticed a substantial difference -- in dust
"leakage" through the bag and/or quality suckage?

(OTOH, if someone out there is a better Booler than I, I will take the
embarrassment of a pre-formatted google link.)

BTW, I have read Penn State's ode to air flow and 5 micron bags

(http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...&Store_Code=PS
I),
and I assume that they and other vendors would make the same case for the

1
micron. But, as with an earlier post of mine, I'd like to hear any
real-world accounts. Thanks.

Steve Knight

I agree that grabbing chips/dust at the source is best, and in
conjunction with an ambient air cleaner its about the best you
can do for yourself. As long as I'm not doing prolonged
cutting I don't put a mask on but if I'm making 5 or more
cuts I'll do it to limit the dust I breath. If you cut just a few
pieces on the miter saw, try to catch a glimpse of the dust in
the air under the right fluorescent lighting. Its ghastly...

it's better to work at a really good dc setup so you don't have any sawdust in
the air. the air cleaners don't do a lot of good really. quite a bit of air gets
in your lungs that it does not filter.
With some effort you can set up a really good dc with good filter and have
almost no dust in the air.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

David Wittenberg

In article ogers.com,
"Michael Daly" writes:

| Ooops - sorry, I should have been clear - I know about the hoods, what I was
| thinking of was a mask type respirator. The one I saw in a magazine had a
| mouthpiece like a SCUBA second stage and air intake tubes that ran to a filter
| pack below. No filter for the nose (you clip it closed) and no ability to talk (which
| would probably mean it'll never get approved for work environments). Fine for
| me working alone in the garage, though. I was hoping there was some news on this
| or a similar thing.

I've seen the snorkel with a filter at Woodcraft. I didn't try it.

--
--David Wittenberg

Warren Senders

| Ooops - sorry, I should have been clear - I know about the hoods, what
I was
| thinking of was a mask type respirator. The one I saw in a magazine
had a
| mouthpiece like a SCUBA second stage and air intake tubes that ran to
a filter
| pack below. No filter for the nose (you clip it closed) and no ability
to talk (which
| would probably mean it'll never get approved for work environments).
Fine for
| me working alone in the garage, though. I was hoping there was some
news on this
| or a similar thing.

I've seen the snorkel with a filter at Woodcraft. I didn't try it.

It's called the "resp-o-rator." I got one and have enjoyed using it
a lot. The clip on the nose is irritating at first, and the snorkel
type mouthpiece irritated the inside of my lips a bit. But it's
very easy to use, *very* easy to remove from the mouth
(for phone calls, coffee, conversation), and seems to do a good
job of filtering things. They say the filters go down to 3 microns,
so you've still got a lot of the finest stuff to contend with, though.

Warren
CW

Quit messing around. Contact NASA and find out where they buy their space
suits. Clean air and no shop apron needed.