David Binkowski

Default 1 micron vs 5 micron DC bags (or, Have my goolgle skills gone bad?)

I'm using a Jet DC with 1 micron bags (Penn State), and that unit
sits right under my 3-speed ambient air cleaner. As I understand
it, the 1 micron bags actually get better airflow than the 5 micron.
While the gaps in the fiber are finer, there are more of them.
So the benefit it two-fold, better airflow, catches much smaller
particles.

I agree that grabbing chips/dust at the source is best, and in
conjunction with an ambient air cleaner its about the best you
can do for yourself. As long as I'm not doing prolonged
cutting I don't put a mask on but if I'm making 5 or more
cuts I'll do it to limit the dust I breath. If you cut just a few
pieces on the miter saw, try to catch a glimpse of the dust in
the air under the right fluorescent lighting. Its ghastly...

So I installed it on Linux...
"Igor" wrote in message
I searched in the archives for a discussion on 1 micron versus 5 micron DC
bags -- i.e., is it worth the extra money -- and could not find anything.
My hunch is that it is there but I missed it, but in any event, has anyone
here gone from a 5 to a 1 and noticed a substantial difference -- in dust
"leakage" through the bag and/or quality suckage?

(OTOH, if someone out there is a better Booler than I, I will take the
embarrassment of a pre-formatted google link.)

BTW, I have read Penn State's ode to air flow and 5 micron bags

(http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...&Store_Code=PS
I),
and I assume that they and other vendors would make the same case for the

1
micron. But, as with an earlier post of mine, I'd like to hear any
real-world accounts. Thanks.