Bill Thomas

Default 1 micron vs 5 micron DC bags (or, Have my goolgle skills gonebad?)

Greetings,

Neither of these will filter out the fine particles that can
get both get into your lungs and stay there.
You need something that can filter out .5 micron particles.

The large will not get into your lungs. The very small will
get in and then go out, i.e. they will not settle out of
the air in your lungs.

Sincerely,
Bill Thomas

Igor wrote:
I searched in the archives for a discussion on 1 micron versus 5 micron DC
bags -- i.e., is it worth the extra money -- and could not find anything.
My hunch is that it is there but I missed it, but in any event, has anyone
here gone from a 5 to a 1 and noticed a substantial difference -- in dust
"leakage" through the bag and/or quality suckage?

(OTOH, if someone out there is a better Booler than I, I will take the
embarrassment of a pre-formatted google link.)

BTW, I have read Penn State's ode to air flow and 5 micron bags
(http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...Store_Code=PSI),
and I assume that they and other vendors would make the same case for the 1
micron. But, as with an earlier post of mine, I'd like to hear any
real-world accounts. Thanks.

Igor

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 19:47:41 GMT, Bill Thomas wrote:

Greetings,

Neither of these will filter out the fine particles that can
get both get into your lungs and stay there.
You need something that can filter out .5 micron particles.

The large will not get into your lungs. The very small will
get in and then go out, i.e. they will not settle out of
the air in your lungs.

Hey, on the bright side, this would mean that if I got the 1 micron bags
then whatever was trapped would not be hazardous waste! The stuff that got
through would kill me, but at least I would not get a fine for illegal
dumping, a la Arlo Guthrie. Kill, kill, kill me.
Steve Knight

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 19:36:58 GMT, Igor wrote:

I searched in the archives for a discussion on 1 micron versus 5 micron DC
bags -- i.e., is it worth the extra money -- and could not find anything.
My hunch is that it is there but I missed it, but in any event, has anyone
here gone from a 5 to a 1 and noticed a substantial difference -- in dust
"leakage" through the bag and/or quality suckage?

Ok here is some info few have posted. it is not just the size of the particles
the bag will fillers but how big the bag is. this is a key issue. the bigger the
bag the better. if the bag is big enough to pass the air with little resistance
you will get far better filtering then if you use a smaller bag or even one that
goes down to a lower micron.
this is one of the best places to get a bag
http://www.americanfabricfilter.com/
you can get very good filtering if you do it right. I was getting pretty good
filtering on my big bad on my cyclone if I kept it clean. far better then I
would have with a smaller bag. if the air flow is restricted it pushes the
smaller particles out of the bag.
you also need to shake the bag often. aleast once a day.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
JackD

"Steve Knight" wrote in message
[...]

If the bag is big enough, you never need to shake it, nor empty it as it can
contain everything. One might even muse that the universe is mother nature's
dust collector bag.

-Jack

Steve Knight

If the bag is big enough, you never need to shake it, nor empty it as it can
contain everything. One might even muse that the universe is mother nature's
dust collector bag.

very true but then there would be no room for tools in your shop (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes