Old January 26th 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Harbor Freight 6" jointer

I know that Harbor Freight is considered at ground zero for most if
not all of there power tools, and most everything else. However I was
wondering about the 6" jointer. They are on sale at the local Harbor
freight for $ 199 minus 15%. This sounds like an amazing price. At
present I need a jointer for truing up square wood for turning 34 "
legs for Islands. Would appreciate any help in making the decision to
buy it. What I really want is a good used jointer, but have not found
anything suitable in my four month search.

Thanks in advance

Everett Cotton

Old January 26th 07, 03:49 AM posted to rec.woodworking
J. J. is offline

This past weekend, for the first time ever, I have actually seen the
inside of a Harbor Freight store. (Returning home from a family event in
another state. Just got lucky.) Cheesy, cheesy, stuff. All of it. I too
had been tempted by their low prices. Not again. I walked out of the
store empty handed.

I see old Craftsman cast iron jointers (both 4 and 6 inch variety) on
eBay for pickup only that sell in the $150 to $200 range (with motor and
stand). I inherited a 1970's 6 inch model and I have to say that it's a
very nice machine. I don't try to square up blanks larger than 4 feet
with it. It saddens me that it's worth less than 200 bucks. But that
fact might please you.

For the sake of completeness I would never recommend a contemporary
Craftsman power tool. Same crapola as HF, IMO.

J.

Old January 26th 07, 06:55 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 25, 8:28 pm, Everett Cotton wrote:
I know that Harbor Freight is considered at ground zero for most if
not all of there power tools, and most everything else.

OK for some stuff, as long as you don't expect too much. I've actually
heard their higher-end drill presses and bandsaws aren't too bad.

However I was
wondering about the 6" jointer. They are on sale at the local Harbor
freight for $ 199 minus 15%. This sounds like an amazing price.

This isn't the cheesy orange one, is it?
From the picture on the website, it looks like that would be a ripoff

at $200. If, on the other hand, it's one of their "industrial"
rabbeting jointers, and I were in the market for a cheap jointer, I'd
policy in writing. Or expand my search radius for used ones - any
semi-local craigslists where you could post a wanted ad? If I could
drive 50 mi for a used one, and that would let me avoid HF, I'd
definitely consider that.

If all you need is square for turning, but not a smooth face, have you
considered a bandsaw? It seems like that'd be a lot more versatile if
you don't already have one, and with a little tuning, it could get you
square and straight.

Of course, I'm not a turner and I don't own a jointer, so my advice is
probably worth about as much as you paid for it.
Good luck,
Andy

Old January 26th 07, 10:16 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"J." wrote in message

For the sake of completeness I would never recommend a contemporary
Craftsman power tool. Same crapola as HF, IMO.

That's a shame. Some of the newer table saw selection is pretty good
equipment.

--

-Mike-

Old January 26th 07, 11:42 AM posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
For the sake of completeness I would never recommend a contemporary

Craftsman power tool. Same crapola as HF, IMO.

That's a shame. Some of the newer table saw selection is pretty good
equipment.

If you can get one. They have refused to sell me one, twice.

Old January 26th 07, 12:23 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Lou Lou is offline

I have bought 3 machines from harbor freight including a jointer. All
three had to have
the switch screws tightened. As long as you expect that your somewhat
safe. As for the jointer,
the guard springs broke on the first run. Since I waited to open the
box after I got it, it was
too late to return it.
Lou

Old January 26th 07, 12:57 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 26, 7:23 am, "Lou" wrote:
I have bought 3 machines from harbor freight including a jointer. All
three had to have
the switch screws tightened. As long as you expect that your somewhat
safe. As for the jointer,
the guard springs broke on the first run. Since I waited to open the
box after I got it, it was
too late to return it.
Lou

There is a quote about Harbor Freight

"Their tools are assembled only to prove all the parts are there"

Old January 26th 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Pig Pig is offline

A couple of observations. HF is IMHO good for disposables, and that
includes the majority of their machines. I own a HF 1" belt sander I
bought for $25 on sale and use just to sharpen things, and its fine for
that, but if it broke during use it would not injure me physically and
I can afford the dollar loss. Don't be seduced by the price,
generally, you get what you pay for. Second, last time I noticed,
jointer cutterheads spin at high rpm with knives in them; so how much
confidence do you have in the engineering and manufacturing tolerances,
much less the assembly process, of a tool built to sell for so little
when during its operation you are standing right above that cutterhead
pushing wood through it. Third, think parts. Unless this is a one job
throwaway purchase, you might need a part from time to time.

Do yourself a favor, get a quality manufacturer used, or if new, go
Grizzly benchtop for $199, or the old standby 6" jointer for about
$350, the latter machine (or its predecessor) served me very well for
12 years until I upgraded to an 8" machine. Wilke Machinery sells
their Yorkcraft 6" for about $320, and I hear its a very servicable
machine. My two cents.

Mutt

Old January 26th 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:42:38 GMT, "CW" wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
.. .
For the sake of completeness I would never recommend a contemporary
Craftsman power tool. Same crapola as HF, IMO.

That's a shame. Some of the newer table saw selection is pretty good
equipment.

If you can get one. They have refused to sell me one, twice.

Is the top of the line Craftsman tablesaw now a rebadged Steel City?
At least I think that is what I read on Steel Cities web site.

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618
Old January 26th 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:42:06 -0600, Markem
wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:42:38 GMT, "CW" wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
. ..
For the sake of completeness I would never recommend a contemporary
Craftsman power tool. Same crapola as HF, IMO.

That's a shame. Some of the newer table saw selection is pretty good
equipment.

If you can get one. They have refused to sell me one, twice.

Is the top of the line Craftsman tablesaw now a rebadged Steel City?
At least I think that is what I read on Steel Cities web site.

Who has refused to sell? Sears? The only reason that I know of that
Sears would refuse to sell one something is that one presented them
with counterfeit cash, a bad check, or a bounced credit card.

As for the current Craftsman saws, they have more powerful models than
the three Orions (Orion changed their name to Steel City) and the
Sears saws are not identical to any model sold under the Steel City
brand--they seem to be specials that Orion designed for Sears.

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618