Posted to rec.woodworking
Oughtsix Oughtsix is offline

Default Harbor Freight 6" jointer - decision made and thanks!

P.S. I have been searching ebay for the ten years I have owned this
jointer for an upgrade and have yet to find a jointer reasonablly
priced in my area. Save your money and buy the harbor freight
jointer. Then use your extra cash to buy a nice planer. Don't buy a
HF planer I owned one of there 15" planers for a week and sent it
back. I later found a used sunhill 15" planer locally. A HF jointer
paired with a good planer opens up a new world of woodworking. Taking
rough stock and making the exact dimensions you want is a real
blessing. Before owning a jointer and planer I always had problems
with the stock I purchased from the hardwood store being slightly
different thicknesses.

On Jan 30, 10:17 am, "Oughtsix" wrote:
I have owned and used a HF 6" rabbiting jointer for 10 years now. I
have never had ANY problems with it. One of my favorite hardwoods is
IPE' and I have planed hundreds of linear feet on my HF jointer
without a problem. If you are not familular with IPE it is the
hardest wood I know of. It is so dense it sinks in water. Besides
IPE, maple and walnut I have also turned countless feet of kiln dried
fir into very decent looking stock for shop / pantry shelves.

I own other harbor freight "crap" and several high quality woodwording
tools (Powermatic cabinet saw, Delta RAS...) and I would pronounce the
6" rabbiting jointer the exception to the HF rule! It is one of my
most used tools. Practically every project starts out on this
jointer.

The fence does not have a positive stop at 90 degrees but you set it
once with a square and it stays put. My only regret with this jointer
was that I didn't buy the 8" version when they were a lot cheaper way
back when. I have used an oliver direct drive 12" jointer quite a bit
and it is much much nicer but it doesn't really give any better finish
than the HF.