Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Harbor Freight 6" jointer

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 20:28:57 -0500, Everett Cotton
wrote:

I know that Harbor Freight is considered at ground zero for most if
not all of there power tools, and most everything else. However I was
wondering about the 6" jointer. They are on sale at the local Harbor
freight for $ 199 minus 15%. This sounds like an amazing price. At
present I need a jointer for truing up square wood for turning 34 "
legs for Islands. Would appreciate any help in making the decision to
buy it. What I really want is a good used jointer, but have not found
anything suitable in my four month search.

For what you're describing the Delta benchtop will work fine for
$169.99 from Amazon. Just keep a coat of wax on the table. Not the
greatest jointer in the world but it works as long as you take the
time to beat the fence into submission.

But if you're making turning blanks for spindle turning you don't
really need a jointer--a band saw will do everything you need unless
you're laminating the blanks from several pieces.