Vic Baron

Default Harbor Freight 6" jointer

HF was having a sale on their 6" jointer and stand for 179 so I decided to
pick one up. Thought I'd post my experiences as I set it up.

First of all, it was packed extremely well. The shipping case was angle iron
with wood in between. Very sturdy. Although I'm used to working alone, this
thing is HEAVY - about 96kg which I believe is about 200lbs. The main
jointer tables and cutterhead com pre assembled but you do have to set up
the stand and lift the jointer on top. It took me about 2 1/2 hours to
assemble the stand. The instructions were clear and all the parts were
there. The parts fit and assembled with no problem. All I had time to do
today was get the unit unpacked and assemble the stand.

When I mount the jointer to the stand and set it up, I'll post more.

Overall impression was very good. The quality of the nuts and bolts and the
metal cabinet is very good.

Vic Baron

--
Of course, I may be wrong, I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Vic Baron

Today I installed the jointer to the base, completed the wiring and started
making wood chips. Even thought the cast iron jointer assembly is too heavy
for me to lift alone ( I'm 67 folks) I was able to rock it onto the base
with no problem or undue strain, either on myself or the hardware. Bought
two add-ons, link belt and a mobile base.

I was pleased at the quality of the machining on the table tops and the
fence. I had seen some really bad stuff from China before but this was very
nice. Cleaned the protective coating off the machined parts, installed the
fence. Checked that everything moved without bumping into anything else and
pushed the start button. Since no fuses blew and it passed the smoke test. I
powered down, unplugged and proceeded to check the fence and tables for
alignment. Out of the box I needed a little tweak to adjust the fence to 90
deg and the outfeed table was a tad low. Made the adjustments and proceeded
to joint some walnut, maple and pine.

Everything seems ok so I can rest for the day and get started on some more
projects tomorrow.

Time will tell the overall quality of this piece. I've had good luck and bad
luck with HF. You can't paint all their stuff with the "you get what you pay
for label". Sometimes they have a decent product for the price. We will see.

Just thought someone might be interested in the assembly project.

Vic Baron

"Vic Baron" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Rick Samuel

About 6 mo. ago, I picked up a HF 14" band saw and 9x46" disc/belt
sander, preowned. Seems ok, band saw has seen a bit of work. So last
mo. bought the 7" HF jointer. A real PITA to assemble, the author of
the manual, I feel, has never even seen a jointer. But works good. No
blade adjustment screws, (manual said it had them), so had to make them.
Outfeed & infeed are flat to each other, fence comes back to 90 each
time. But their black spring clamps are pure junque, 4 broke within the
first week.

Vic Baron wrote:
[...]

Adguru

Thanks Vic,
I have been wanting a jointer for a long time. They are so heavy you
can't hardly buy used out of town and afford the shipping. I live in a
realitively small town so used jointers just don't hit the want ads.

The next step would be HF, and you need a testimonial like yours to
feel safe.

I'll be waiting for the next installment.
Regards,
Ed

"Vic Baron" wrote in message news:

Time will tell the overall quality of this piece. I've had good luck and bad
luck with HF. You can't paint all their stuff with the "you get what you pay
for label". Sometimes they have a decent product for the price. We will see.

Just thought someone might be interested in the assembly project.

Vic Baron

You're welcome. Even tho I live in Los Angeles, the shipping on used
equipment was still too much. Lucky for me. My neighbor has a truck and HF
is just a few miles from me so it turned out to be good for me.

"Adguru" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Bruce

In rec.woodworking
(Adguru) wrote:

Thanks Vic,
I have been wanting a jointer for a long time. They are so heavy you
can't hardly buy used out of town and afford the shipping. I live in a
realitively small town so used jointers just don't hit the want ads.

The next step would be HF, and you need a testimonial like yours to
feel safe.

I just bought the HF 6" jointer today and concur with Vic's post with a few
exceptions. First, for $179, you really can't go wrong can you? I could
get 2 for the price of the Grizzly 6".

My outfeed table also required a bit of adjustment, no bigee. The tables
are flat to each other and the fence is flat. My complaint is the fence
mechanism. The entire fence is supported by the right end and when you
loosen it to set an angle, it just flops all over, raises up when you
tighten the nut, etc. The mechanism to stop at 90 degrees seems too flimsy
to be trustworthy.

The good news is, it can be set square with little trouble using a
machinists square. That is how I intend on using it and luckily, I seldom
joint anything at other than 90 degrees.

Power seems adequate. The dust chute works but I'm stuck having to fab
something to connect my dust collector. I also cut a few rabbets and that
worked very well also.

All in all I'm pleased and have no regrets and would recommend it to anyone
that is a budget conscious hobby woodworker. I've used a Jet 6" quite a
bit and really see no difference in performance at 1/3 the price.

Silvan

Bruce wrote:

are flat to each other and the fence is flat. My complaint is the fence
mechanism. The entire fence is supported by the right end and when you
loosen it to set an angle, it just flops all over, raises up when you
tighten the nut, etc. The mechanism to stop at 90 degrees seems too
flimsy to be trustworthy.

Sounds a lot like my new Delta JT160. I haven't figured out what to do
about that yet, but the fence is seriously questionable.

Power seems adequate. The dust chute works but I'm stuck having to fab
something to connect my dust collector. I also cut a few rabbets and that
worked very well also.

My chute doesn't work. It jams up and then shavings start spewing out the
motor vent holes. Gotta do something about that.

Maybe I shouldda bought the HF. Especially if it happens to have cast iron
tables. These aluminum tables didn't seem like as bad of an idea in the
store as they have proven to be in the flesh.

Sure gets things flat fast though, and without all the sweat. I think I
like it.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Vic Baron

I'm still trying to come up with a good connection for my dust collector.
The dust chute is marginal at best. I'm thinking of taking a 12" or 14"
tablesaw hood and mounting it over the dust chute opening. It *looks* like
it might work. What have you done/decided?

Vic

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
In rec.woodworking
(Adguru) wrote:

[...]

Bruce

In rec.woodworking
"Vic Baron" wrote:

I'm still trying to come up with a good connection for my dust collector.
The dust chute is marginal at best. I'm thinking of taking a 12" or 14"
tablesaw hood and mounting it over the dust chute opening. It *looks* like
it might work. What have you done/decided?

I'm sucking it off the floor right now What I was thinking is a 3" pvc
coupling glued into a piece of 1/4" plywood. Think that would work?

Johnson

I know you aren't asking me but I have this jointer and your idea is
exactly what I did years ago. Works pretty well, too. Worth the
trouble. I didn't see any reason to make it removable and used pop
rivets. A little duct tape around the plastic for a seal and ready to
go.

Jim

"Vic Baron" wrote in message
m...
I'm still trying to come up with a good connection for my dust

collector.
The dust chute is marginal at best. I'm thinking of taking a 12" or

14"
tablesaw hood and mounting it over the dust chute opening. It

*looks* like
it might work. What have you done/decided?

Vic

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
In rec.woodworking
(Adguru) wrote:

[...]

Vic Baron

Finished the dust collector attachment and it works like a charm. Got a 12"
tablesaw flat connector. Put some 1.5" wide weather-stripping all along the
edge.Drilled three holes for some screen latches - the kind that have a
little tab that swings over the screen edge to hold a screen in a door etc.
It swings over the edge of the tablesaw connection and holds it tight to the
weather-stripping. Fired her up and jointed away and all the shavings went
into the DC as planned. To quote the "A Team" - "I love it when a plan comes
together".

Vic

"Johnson" wrote in message
I know you aren't asking me but I have this jointer and your idea is
exactly what I did years ago. Works pretty well, too. Worth the
trouble. I didn't see any reason to make it removable and used pop
rivets. A little duct tape around the plastic for a seal and ready to
go.

Jim

"Vic Baron" wrote in message
m...
I'm still trying to come up with a good connection for my dust

collector.
The dust chute is marginal at best. I'm thinking of taking a 12" or

14"
tablesaw hood and mounting it over the dust chute opening. It

*looks* like
it might work. What have you done/decided?

Vic

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
In rec.woodworking
(Adguru) wrote:

[...]

Oughtsix

I have had a HF 6" jointer for 6+ years now. It is one of the most
used tools in my shop. I have only moved the fence a few times. When
I clamp down the fence on mine it likes to tilt a bit while
tightening. No biggie, it stays put once set.

For dust collection I have been using a piece of stove pipe flashing.
It is about 12" x 12" and is made to go over a stove pipe on a roof.
It has a cone shaped chute and my 4" flex tubing fits on it nicely.
Mounting is a little tricky, 4 pieces of duct tape and it has never
fallen off. I have never had a clog.

I made a jig and use the scarey sharp system to sharpen the knives.
Works great and is less work than buying more knives or taking the old
knives to the sharpener.

I have not found a reason to purchase a nicer 6" jointer but a 10"
long bed would be nice.

"Johnson" wrote in message
I know you aren't asking me but I have this jointer and your idea is
exactly what I did years ago. Works pretty well, too. Worth the
trouble. I didn't see any reason to make it removable and used pop
rivets. A little duct tape around the plastic for a seal and ready to
go.

Jim

"Vic Baron" wrote in message
m...
I'm still trying to come up with a good connection for my dust

collector.
The dust chute is marginal at best. I'm thinking of taking a 12" or

14"
tablesaw hood and mounting it over the dust chute opening. It

*looks* like
it might work. What have you done/decided?

Vic

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
In rec.woodworking
(Adguru) wrote:

[...]

Rob V

I made a jig and use the scarey sharp system to sharpen the knives.
Works great and is less work than buying more knives or taking the old
knives to the sharpener.

Care to share your jig details??

"Oughtsix" wrote in message
m...
I have had a HF 6" jointer for 6+ years now. It is one of the most
used tools in my shop. I have only moved the fence a few times. When
I clamp down the fence on mine it likes to tilt a bit while
tightening. No biggie, it stays put once set.

For dust collection I have been using a piece of stove pipe flashing.
It is about 12" x 12" and is made to go over a stove pipe on a roof.
It has a cone shaped chute and my 4" flex tubing fits on it nicely.
Mounting is a little tricky, 4 pieces of duct tape and it has never
fallen off. I have never had a clog.

I made a jig and use the scarey sharp system to sharpen the knives.
Works great and is less work than buying more knives or taking the old
knives to the sharpener.

I have not found a reason to purchase a nicer 6" jointer but a 10"
long bed would be nice.

. com...

"Johnson" wrote in message
I know you aren't asking me but I have this jointer and your idea is
exactly what I did years ago. Works pretty well, too. Worth the
trouble. I didn't see any reason to make it removable and used pop
rivets. A little duct tape around the plastic for a seal and ready to
go.

Jim

"Vic Baron" wrote in message
m...
I'm still trying to come up with a good connection for my dust

collector.
The dust chute is marginal at best. I'm thinking of taking a 12" or

14"
tablesaw hood and mounting it over the dust chute opening. It

*looks* like
it might work. What have you done/decided?

Vic

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
In rec.woodworking
(Adguru) wrote:

[...]

One trick I've seen and used on mine is to get a pair of those arrow
shaped welding magnets whose point is 90 degrees, and stick them
between the fence and the tables. Harbor Freight has them for $1/ea
every now and again.

They'll hold the fence securely in place while tightening; no
guesswork and it works every time (ok, both of the two times I've done
it since the fence typically stays put.)

The same magnets can be used to adjust the height of the blades by
resting them on the edge of the outfeed table, sticking out over the
edge over the blade. Loosening the hold-down bolts allows the blade
to move and stick to the edge of the magnet (one magnet for each end
of the blade is needed). It's now level with the outfeed table, and
can be tightened at your leisure.

On a related question, the knives that come with this jointer are
plain carbon steel and dull quickly. They scary sharpen pretty sharp,
but harder blades would be more convenient. Does anybody have
recommendations for high speed steel knives for this machine?

....John
Oughtsix

I made a real simple jig out of 3 scrap pieces of Ipe. I put the
jointer knife on my table saw and held the bevel against the table
surface and set my table saw at the same angle. I ripped a piece of
Ipe at this angle. I then lowered the blade and moved the fence in a
little to make a grove just under the width of the knife. I used a
couple of nuts and bolts to fasten the top piece to the first piece
and clamp the knife. The third piece is held on with screws and the
holes are oblong to allow for a little angle adjustment. I used a
screw on each side to mount some roller bearings. A piece of card
board at the top was just thick enough to clamp the knife nice and
tight without any movement.

I just clamp the blade in the jig and move the jig back and forth over
sandpaper glued to glass. It makes a better edge than I have ever
recieved from a sharpening service.

Side View.

/\ Cardboard
/ \ /
/ / /
/ / //\
/ / // \
/ / / \
/ / / \
/ / / \
/ / \ / /-\
/ / /\ / / / \
/ / / / / / / /-\ \
/__/ / / /______/ /_( o )_\
/_/ \_/ Roller bearing
Knife

"Rob V" wrote in message om...
I made a jig and use the scarey sharp system to sharpen the knives.
Works great and is less work than buying more knives or taking the old
knives to the sharpener.

Care to share your jig details??

"Oughtsix" wrote in message
m...
I have had a HF 6" jointer for 6+ years now. It is one of the most
used tools in my shop. I have only moved the fence a few times. When
I clamp down the fence on mine it likes to tilt a bit while
tightening. No biggie, it stays put once set.

For dust collection I have been using a piece of stove pipe flashing.
It is about 12" x 12" and is made to go over a stove pipe on a roof.
It has a cone shaped chute and my 4" flex tubing fits on it nicely.
Mounting is a little tricky, 4 pieces of duct tape and it has never
fallen off. I have never had a clog.

I made a jig and use the scarey sharp system to sharpen the knives.
Works great and is less work than buying more knives or taking the old
knives to the sharpener.

I have not found a reason to purchase a nicer 6" jointer but a 10"
long bed would be nice.

. com...

"Johnson" wrote in message
I know you aren't asking me but I have this jointer and your idea is
exactly what I did years ago. Works pretty well, too. Worth the
trouble. I didn't see any reason to make it removable and used pop
rivets. A little duct tape around the plastic for a seal and ready to
go.

Jim

"Vic Baron" wrote in message
m...
I'm still trying to come up with a good connection for my dust

collector.
The dust chute is marginal at best. I'm thinking of taking a 12" or

14"
tablesaw hood and mounting it over the dust chute opening. It

*looks* like
it might work. What have you done/decided?

Vic

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .