Posted to rec.woodworking
J. J. is offline

Default Harbor Freight 6" jointer

This past weekend, for the first time ever, I have actually seen the
inside of a Harbor Freight store. (Returning home from a family event in
another state. Just got lucky.) Cheesy, cheesy, stuff. All of it. I too
had been tempted by their low prices. Not again. I walked out of the
store empty handed.

I see old Craftsman cast iron jointers (both 4 and 6 inch variety) on
eBay for pickup only that sell in the $150 to $200 range (with motor and
stand). I inherited a 1970's 6 inch model and I have to say that it's a
very nice machine. I don't try to square up blanks larger than 4 feet
with it. It saddens me that it's worth less than 200 bucks. But that
fact might please you.

For the sake of completeness I would never recommend a contemporary
Craftsman power tool. Same crapola as HF, IMO.

J.

Everett Cotton wrote:
I know that Harbor Freight is considered at ground zero for most if
not all of there power tools, and most everything else. However I was
wondering about the 6" jointer. They are on sale at the local Harbor
freight for $ 199 minus 15%. This sounds like an amazing price. At
present I need a jointer for truing up square wood for turning 34 "
legs for Islands. Would appreciate any help in making the decision to
buy it. What I really want is a good used jointer, but have not found
anything suitable in my four month search.

Thanks in advance

Everett Cotton