Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron Vic Baron is offline

Default Harbor Freight 6" jointer

wrote in message
ups.com...

On Jan 26, 11:13 am, "Vic Baron" wrote:
All in all, I'm satisfied with my HF purchases. Their QC is non existent
so
you can get a perfect product and a horrible product side by side. A good
example is clamps - their prices are way below anyplace else on bare
clamps,
etc BUT you have to hand pick them from the bin.

Some folks here paint HF with a broad brush - not really fair - if you're
careful you can get a helluva lot MORE than you paid for. Same goes for
Craftsman - not all good but not all bad either.

I think that sums it up right there. You gamble when you buy HF stuff,
but if you're careful you can come out ahead overall. So far I know I'm
ahead.

I think the odds are a little worse with things like the jointer. I'd
still be inclined to save the money or get a jointer plane. But I think
Vic's right - not ALL of HF's stuff is crap. You're just gambling on
not getting a dud and you can improve your odds by careful inspection.

Yes, I did forget to mention that I live fairly close to a HF store and have
looked at the products up close before buying. I would not buy a large item
via mail order unless I knew the return policy was very liberal and had an
easy way to schlep a heavy item to a shipping terminal.

Vic