Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron Vic Baron is offline

Default Harbor Freight 6" jointer

I've had the rabbeting jointer for over a year now and am extremely happy
with it. They had the same sale when I bought it and I haven't regretted it.
I'm still on the first set of blades. Setup was no problem but I did spend
time initially making sure the infeed/outfeed tables were properly aligned
( they were a tad off ) and the knives all at same height ( they were ).
Through the years I've bought a drill press, mortiser, belt sander from HF.
For wood, the drill press is fine but I would not want to do any accurate
drilling of metal - BUT it works fine. The mortiser need better chisels and
drills which I got on eBay for a few bucks - works fine. Switch and bearing
failed in short time on belt sander -easy low cost replacement - sold it a
year later for what I paid for it.

All in all, I'm satisfied with my HF purchases. Their QC is non existent so
you can get a perfect product and a horrible product side by side. A good
example is clamps - their prices are way below anyplace else on bare clamps,
etc BUT you have to hand pick them from the bin.

Some folks here paint HF with a broad brush - not really fair - if you're
careful you can get a helluva lot MORE than you paid for. Same goes for
Craftsman - not all good but not all bad either.

Just MHO,

Vic

"Everett Cotton" wrote in message
I know that Harbor Freight is considered at ground zero for most if
not all of there power tools, and most everything else. However I was
wondering about the 6" jointer. They are on sale at the local Harbor
freight for $ 199 minus 15%. This sounds like an amazing price. At
present I need a jointer for truing up square wood for turning 34 "
legs for Islands. Would appreciate any help in making the decision to
buy it. What I really want is a good used jointer, but have not found
anything suitable in my four month search.

Thanks in advance

Everett Cotton