George

Default minimum dust collector w/ trash can

I do it with 3/4, but I'm not selling dust collectors.

Put the can on wheels. Better yet, buy the JET collector on a can at
Klingspor or some other place.

"Igor" wrote in message
I will be doing lots of dados using my TS, so lots of waste. I have a
small shop. I'd like to use one of the in-line trash can hook-ups with a
DC. The hose run from the saw to the can to the DC will be no more than

10
feet; I could even put both the can and DC next to the TS.

What I'd like to know is if this setup can be done successuly using a 1 HP
DC? 1.5HP? A friendly tech guy at Penn State said 2HP -- and I think he
does believe that versus trying to make a sale.

bay area dave

I've got a 1.2HP 650 or 750 TWC unit and it is adequate for TS, jointer, router
table pickup. Once I hooked up a trash can separator (a necessary item, in my
case) efficiency dropped a bit, but the DC still picks up fairly well. I'm
sure it would be cool to have a unit that could suck the chrome off a bumper,
but my little unit is: little, cheap, and reasonably quiet. All three
characteristics I appreciate. I have a 10' hose to the can, and a 20' hose to
the equipment.

dave

Igor wrote:

I will be doing lots of dados using my TS, so lots of waste. I have a
small shop. I'd like to use one of the in-line trash can hook-ups with a
DC. The hose run from the saw to the can to the DC will be no more than 10
feet; I could even put both the can and DC next to the TS.

What I'd like to know is if this setup can be done successuly using a 1 HP
DC? 1.5HP? A friendly tech guy at Penn State said 2HP -- and I think he
does believe that versus trying to make a sale.

I'd appreciate hearing from people who have this trash can setup using
whatever lower-end HP DC -- whether or not it works. Thanks.

(BTW, I see that Penn State is selling its 2HP for only $20 more than its
1.5HP, though w/ the 1.5 you get 50' of hose -- which I don't need. They
even say that the 2HP is a little quieter. If only I could find the room.)

PS: You may say that in a small shop how can there be room for the can?
Good point. In fact, a 1.5HP DC would probably be smaller than a 1HP DC +
can -- and the 1.5 has more capacity. It's a question of reducing the mess
when emptying the chips/dust -- a standard trade-off.

Tomeshew

Igor wrote:I'd appreciate hearing from people who have this trash can setup
using
whatever lower-end HP DC -- whether or not it works. Thanks.
It works with my 1.5 HP Jet 1100, and I'm using 4 inch flex and
DWV about 35 feet from the can and collector. And dadoes, not being
through-cuts, won't spit much sawdust at you. Tom
The World

I've been using a little Jet DC (3/4 hp I think) with a shop-made trash can
chip collector. It's plumbed with 4" PVC pipe to serve a contractor saw and
has an additional port where I hook my planer when I need it--the total run
is about 20 ft.. It has worked fine for the past 5 years. I have a
grounding wire down the inside of the PVC pipe that sometimes collects big
shavings from the planer and chokes, but other than that it works fine.
More suctation from a bigger DC is always nice, but this one serves my
needs.

malcolm

"Igor" wrote in message
[...]

Gary DeWitt

Igor wrote in message . ..
I will be doing lots of dados using my TS, so lots of waste. I have a
small shop. I'd like to use one of the in-line trash can hook-ups with a
DC. The hose run from the saw to the can to the DC will be no more than 10
feet; I could even put both the can and DC next to the TS.

What I'd like to know is if this setup can be done successuly using a 1 HP
DC? 1.5HP? A friendly tech guy at Penn State said 2HP -- and I think he
does believe that versus trying to make a sale.

I'd appreciate hearing from people who have this trash can setup using
whatever lower-end HP DC -- whether or not it works. Thanks.

I have the 1HP jet unit that is made to sit on a 35Gal can (you
supply) which I have on wheels. It has a canister type final filter.
Uses less floor space than a DC AND a trashcan separator. With 4"
hose, works very well for all my tools, including a very messy planer
that creates cubic feet of waste in short order.
It's quiet (actually quieter than my saw running at idle). Only beef
is having to clean canister every few days when doing a lot of fine
dust.
I'm not affiliated with any tool co. or distributor, just a happy
consumer.

Gary

William E. Prisavage

Based on a post I read here I picked up a H.F. 1 h.p. about 6 months ago.You
know the one,plastic wheels, portable etc...
It was on sale for $83.00.
The original poster mentioned removing the plastic screens on the inlet and
discharge side.
I fabbedup 55 gallon drums for a separator and run it with the table saw
planer,jointer with no problem.
Beats a shop vac hands down.
The down side is the 3" neck on the bag but the drums get most of the stuff.
"Igor" wrote in message
[...]

Bob G.

Igor wrote:

I will be doing lots of dados using my TS, so lots of waste. I have a
small shop. I'd like to use one of the in-line trash can hook-ups with a
DC. The hose run from the saw to the can to the DC will be no more than 10
feet; I could even put both the can and DC next to the TS.

What I'd like to know is if this setup can be done successuly using a 1 HP
DC? 1.5HP? A friendly tech guy at Penn State said 2HP -- and I think he
does believe that versus trying to make a sale.

================================================= =====

I have owned a Grizzly 1029 for about 15 years and a few years ago I
picked up a 1 HP Penn State unit at an estate sale for peanuts...so I
bought it.....

ANYHOW.... The 2 HP Griz by my (unscientific) tests sucks about 3
times harder then the 1 HP
unit..... This was "tested" by just swapping the DC out and connecting
it to the same 4" PVC ductwork I had already installed ... There was
just a major difference...so on that basis alone I would have to say go
the 2 Hp route if at all possible....

Now my Griz is 12-15 years old and I believe it was rated at 1300 CFM
not the current model which is rated higher...but honestly CFM ratings
seem to be generated by the same guy who rates HP for sears... IMHO they
are Bullsh^^ !

I have tried using a Metal 20 gallon trash can a few times with my
systems and (purchased 2 different style "lids") but I still have not
made up my mind if they really work all that well.. Everyone seems to
say they work...But I have not determined if they work "well enough" for
me yet...

Having said all of that.... placing the can and a 2 HP DC next to the
tablesaw with only a few feet of hose should work without any problems...

I DO NOT use the DC ...NOT FOR HEALTH REASONS.... Heck I can't chase
women anymore because I am too damn slow to catch any...I smoke , I
drink, etc... I use the DC only
to keep my shop cleaner... I find I can relax much better in a neat
cleaner shop...

Bob Griffiths

hex

Igor wrote in message
some snippage here
I'd appreciate hearing from people who have this trash can setup using
whatever lower-end HP DC -- whether or not it works. Thanks.

(BTW, I see that Penn State is selling its 2HP for only $20 more than its
1.5HP, though w/ the 1.5 you get 50' of hose -- which I don't need. They
even say that the 2HP is a little quieter. If only I could find the room.)

I have a 2HP DC hooked up to trash can separator. With the can in the
middle I haven't had any problems with getting reasonable suction on a
single 4" line. Reasonable means a) I've never plugged it up and b)
it will keep up with the jointer. Most of the time I handle serious
amounts planer shavings with a shovel and wheelbarrow approach I
haven't tried a separator with a smaller collector. FWIW, I find the
can eats about 95% of the stuff I generate --- but the "bulky" part of
what get's sucked up is cleaning up around the lathe, planer or
jointer.
Don't forget 2HP will probably require a 220V feed --- no idea if
that is an issue in your shop.

PS: You may say that in a small shop how can there be room for the can?
Good point. In fact, a 1.5HP DC would probably be smaller than a 1HP DC +
can -- and the 1.5 has more capacity. It's a question of reducing the mess
when emptying the chips/dust -- a standard trade-off.

This spring I got tire of chasing the DC around and put it up on top
of a 7' cabinet --- yes I have a high space but it's un-insulated, no
climate control --- think barn. Anyway, I used to have a carrier
bolted to the DC that held the can so the can went whereever the DC
went. If you are using the DC as a roll-around unit, I would highly
recommend doing something similar. Also tie the hose off to the DC
unit somewhere after the can so things don't fall apart if (when) you
pull on the hose. I used a couple of elastic cords to hold the can
onto the carrier.

Best of luck,

Hex
-30-
hex

Steve Knight wrote in message . ..
I have a 2HP DC hooked up to trash can separator. With the can in the
middle I haven't had any problems with getting reasonable suction on a
single 4" line. Reasonable means a) I've never plugged it up and b)
it will keep up with the jointer. Most of the time I handle serious
amounts planer shavings with a shovel and wheelbarrow approach I
haven't tried a separator with a smaller collector. FWIW, I find the
can eats about 95% of the stuff I generate

it's not the planer shavings that a dc needs power for. it's the fine dust.
that's the hardest and most important to collect.
hell shavings are easy try padouk sawdust from a SCMS. it makes a cloud of fine
sawdust.

Agreed, the "fines" are the important part from a health perspective.
Efficient collecting on an SCMS is something I've always considered to
be pretty hopeless -- do what you can hooking up the DC, wear a mask,
make sure the air filter is running. But, for better or worse, most
people adding a separator aren't thinking about gathering the fines;
they are worried about reducing the number of times the bags are
emptied. The OP was concerned with keeping up a dado blade in a TS. In
that case efficient collection (including the fines) is pretty easy.
The approach I have favored is that machines with a low waste volume
avoid going through the separator as it provides no benefit and only
costs power. Fortunately, the high waste volume devices tend to
generate larger shavings so, as you point out, the collection is easy
and the loss of power isn't a big deal. Of course, I work almost
exclusively in domestic hardwoods -- my WW budget doesn't afford much
in the way of exotics, no Padauk dust for me.

Must get to work......

hex
-30-