hex

Default minimum dust collector w/ trash can

Steve Knight wrote in message . ..
I have a 2HP DC hooked up to trash can separator. With the can in the
middle I haven't had any problems with getting reasonable suction on a
single 4" line. Reasonable means a) I've never plugged it up and b)
it will keep up with the jointer. Most of the time I handle serious
amounts planer shavings with a shovel and wheelbarrow approach I
haven't tried a separator with a smaller collector. FWIW, I find the
can eats about 95% of the stuff I generate

it's not the planer shavings that a dc needs power for. it's the fine dust.
that's the hardest and most important to collect.
hell shavings are easy try padouk sawdust from a SCMS. it makes a cloud of fine
sawdust.

Agreed, the "fines" are the important part from a health perspective.
Efficient collecting on an SCMS is something I've always considered to
be pretty hopeless -- do what you can hooking up the DC, wear a mask,
make sure the air filter is running. But, for better or worse, most
people adding a separator aren't thinking about gathering the fines;
they are worried about reducing the number of times the bags are
emptied. The OP was concerned with keeping up a dado blade in a TS. In
that case efficient collection (including the fines) is pretty easy.
The approach I have favored is that machines with a low waste volume
avoid going through the separator as it provides no benefit and only
costs power. Fortunately, the high waste volume devices tend to
generate larger shavings so, as you point out, the collection is easy
and the loss of power isn't a big deal. Of course, I work almost
exclusively in domestic hardwoods -- my WW budget doesn't afford much
in the way of exotics, no Padauk dust for me.

Must get to work......

hex
-30-