bay area dave

Default minimum dust collector w/ trash can

I've got a 1.2HP 650 or 750 TWC unit and it is adequate for TS, jointer, router
table pickup. Once I hooked up a trash can separator (a necessary item, in my
case) efficiency dropped a bit, but the DC still picks up fairly well. I'm
sure it would be cool to have a unit that could suck the chrome off a bumper,
but my little unit is: little, cheap, and reasonably quiet. All three
characteristics I appreciate. I have a 10' hose to the can, and a 20' hose to
the equipment.

dave

Igor wrote:

I will be doing lots of dados using my TS, so lots of waste. I have a
small shop. I'd like to use one of the in-line trash can hook-ups with a
DC. The hose run from the saw to the can to the DC will be no more than 10
feet; I could even put both the can and DC next to the TS.

What I'd like to know is if this setup can be done successuly using a 1 HP
DC? 1.5HP? A friendly tech guy at Penn State said 2HP -- and I think he
does believe that versus trying to make a sale.

I'd appreciate hearing from people who have this trash can setup using
whatever lower-end HP DC -- whether or not it works. Thanks.

(BTW, I see that Penn State is selling its 2HP for only $20 more than its
1.5HP, though w/ the 1.5 you get 50' of hose -- which I don't need. They
even say that the 2HP is a little quieter. If only I could find the room.)

PS: You may say that in a small shop how can there be room for the can?
Good point. In fact, a 1.5HP DC would probably be smaller than a 1HP DC +
can -- and the 1.5 has more capacity. It's a question of reducing the mess
when emptying the chips/dust -- a standard trade-off.