hex

Default minimum dust collector w/ trash can

Igor wrote in message
some snippage here
I'd appreciate hearing from people who have this trash can setup using
whatever lower-end HP DC -- whether or not it works. Thanks.

(BTW, I see that Penn State is selling its 2HP for only $20 more than its
1.5HP, though w/ the 1.5 you get 50' of hose -- which I don't need. They
even say that the 2HP is a little quieter. If only I could find the room.)

I have a 2HP DC hooked up to trash can separator. With the can in the
middle I haven't had any problems with getting reasonable suction on a
single 4" line. Reasonable means a) I've never plugged it up and b)
it will keep up with the jointer. Most of the time I handle serious
amounts planer shavings with a shovel and wheelbarrow approach I
haven't tried a separator with a smaller collector. FWIW, I find the
can eats about 95% of the stuff I generate --- but the "bulky" part of
what get's sucked up is cleaning up around the lathe, planer or
jointer.
Don't forget 2HP will probably require a 220V feed --- no idea if
that is an issue in your shop.

PS: You may say that in a small shop how can there be room for the can?
Good point. In fact, a 1.5HP DC would probably be smaller than a 1HP DC +
can -- and the 1.5 has more capacity. It's a question of reducing the mess
when emptying the chips/dust -- a standard trade-off.

This spring I got tire of chasing the DC around and put it up on top
of a 7' cabinet --- yes I have a high space but it's un-insulated, no
climate control --- think barn. Anyway, I used to have a carrier
bolted to the DC that held the can so the can went whereever the DC
went. If you are using the DC as a roll-around unit, I would highly
recommend doing something similar. Also tie the hose off to the DC
unit somewhere after the can so things don't fall apart if (when) you
pull on the hose. I used a couple of elastic cords to hold the can
onto the carrier.

Best of luck,

Hex
-30-