Bob G.

Default minimum dust collector w/ trash can

Igor wrote:

I will be doing lots of dados using my TS, so lots of waste. I have a
small shop. I'd like to use one of the in-line trash can hook-ups with a
DC. The hose run from the saw to the can to the DC will be no more than 10
feet; I could even put both the can and DC next to the TS.

What I'd like to know is if this setup can be done successuly using a 1 HP
DC? 1.5HP? A friendly tech guy at Penn State said 2HP -- and I think he
does believe that versus trying to make a sale.

================================================= =====

I have owned a Grizzly 1029 for about 15 years and a few years ago I
picked up a 1 HP Penn State unit at an estate sale for peanuts...so I
bought it.....

ANYHOW.... The 2 HP Griz by my (unscientific) tests sucks about 3
times harder then the 1 HP
unit..... This was "tested" by just swapping the DC out and connecting
it to the same 4" PVC ductwork I had already installed ... There was
just a major difference...so on that basis alone I would have to say go
the 2 Hp route if at all possible....

Now my Griz is 12-15 years old and I believe it was rated at 1300 CFM
not the current model which is rated higher...but honestly CFM ratings
seem to be generated by the same guy who rates HP for sears... IMHO they
are Bullsh^^ !

I have tried using a Metal 20 gallon trash can a few times with my
systems and (purchased 2 different style "lids") but I still have not
made up my mind if they really work all that well.. Everyone seems to
say they work...But I have not determined if they work "well enough" for
me yet...

Having said all of that.... placing the can and a 2 HP DC next to the
tablesaw with only a few feet of hose should work without any problems...

I DO NOT use the DC ...NOT FOR HEALTH REASONS.... Heck I can't chase
women anymore because I am too damn slow to catch any...I smoke , I
drink, etc... I use the DC only
to keep my shop cleaner... I find I can relax much better in a neat
cleaner shop...

Bob Griffiths