Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Craftsman Compucarver Machine

, subprogram linking

Posted to rec.woodworking

bent wrote:

| I bet you're scratching your head as to what to do if
| you get sick! Pretty deep waters, and deep pockets
| needed.

Strange you should put it that way. In August and September I was
fighting a case of shingles (started at the back of my neck and
followed the nerves over the top of my head to settle in and around my
left eye - ugly!) and found myself working one-eyed in the shop. Work
slowed considerably; but didn't (couldn't) stop.

With no pockets at all, if I get really sick, then I'll either get
better or punch out. Either way, it becomes a non-problem - and worry
doesn't make the deep waters any less deep.

Still scratching my head...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , charlie b
wrote:

# Fred # wrote:

I bet you a lot of existing computers and devices that's running on XP now
won't work when the new Vista OS comes out - just like switching from Win 98
to XP.

I also have more than a dozen of devices and systems (computers, graphics
cards, xy-plotters, printers, digitizers, printers - you name it) that were
orphaned every time a new OS comes out. From CPM to DOS, from DOS to Win
3.x, from Win3.x to Win98, from Win98 to WinXP and so on. Every upgrade
means some device or system become unusable and I don't think the
Compucarver is all that different.

Now if you were on a Mac . . .

I do all my diagrams, line art illustrations and other drawings with
an
application called SuperPaint from Aldus (bought out by Adobe). The
last upgrade, the one I still use, was copyrighted 1993! Now granted
have to use "legacy mode" - I think that's what it's called, when
running

"Classic", properly.

OS X, but I can still use it. That's four major OS updates (6-10)
and it's
been on a Quadra 630 - a 68040 cpu and now on a G3 - that's four
cpu upgrades.

Am keeping the G# just in case the new duo Macs won't handle
SuperPaint.

The Intel Macs won't run Classic, I'm using a program called
"Sheepshaver" to run OS 9.0.4 on my Intel iMac.

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Anyone have one? or used one"

Apparently not. After 44 posts in response only one writer
seemed to have something to offer of a relevant nature - the web site
of the Carvewright! http://www.carvewright.com/

But there are 44 opinions left by folks who never touched the machine
much less watched it work or operated it.

Well, you said "Any", didn't you? "Appreciate any views or information
on this machine"

Elliott wrote:
Anyone have one? or used one. I am seeing it advertised on TV, but they
are not in Sear's stores locally. Priced at $1900 and
special order.
Appreciate any views or information on this machine.
Photos of carvings done look very ornate and are computer composed and
driven.
Thanks, Glenn

Posted to rec.woodworking

This is not in reference to you, but I am getting totally sick of people
complaining about responding directly to them. Its an imperfect world. I
can't even begin to explain this. Maybe I should do a terse thread. This
thread is 30 messages long, and half way down its indented all th eway to
the right then goes back again. If people are not respomding one after the
other, how did it get this tangent. I could not get under the original
topic + sign if I tried. If I want to put a message at that point, and
don't want date to affect its placement, like put it down after all th
eother people who are gonna want to respond at that point in order, the
order I want, what the heck am I gonna do. If I don't, my post is gone.
Its not your ng. If I was commenting on you and I said something wrong, ok,
but gimme a break. What else can I do? This ****es me off, as I get
slammed all the time by some paranoid who thinks I've crossed them.
Anyways, I have no idea what you're talking about. Hey, I'm nt perfect. I
can understand getting ****ed off. And I personally never quote the message
preceeding, unless a piece is needed. Why not just quote the whole thread?
In this case, the only message I saw from JT before my message was:

Thu, Jan 4, 2007, 10:21pm (EST-1) (Elliott) doth query:
Anyone have one? or used one. I am seeing it advertised on TV, snip
any views snip

Yeah, I saw it on the tube too. Thought it was pretty neat. Then
thought about it for a minute, and realized, about all it would be good
for is mass producing pukey duck type stuff, the type they sell in the
catalogs you get in the maik. That's the only real use I cn figure for
one. What's the fun in that I ask? Can't afford one anyway, but I'd
pass even if I did.

JOAT
To listen is an effort, and just to hear is no merit. A duck hears
also.
- Igor Stravinsky

As far as I'm concerned this whole thing never happened. Right.

Posted to rec.woodworking

ok, so maybe you weren't blasting me for posting out of order specifically,
but for something. In this thread, before this post, I had responded 17
times, 201 lines, 2294 words, 12 743 characters. Then, only because you
decided to post after me, not because of me, did I find your post claiming
that I was techno-babbling about something. Had it not been where it was
and you had not reprinted the whole thing I wouldn't have any idea what was
going on . Good.
No idea. Check your dates. Or interrogations.

Posted to rec.woodworking

it won't do your shoes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

btw, if you want to point me to the relevant details on the correct syntax
for posting. Particularly the part where it says date should be
excluded....ah, shhh; you didn't say that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

obviously, on the subject of posting in order, I know what I'm talking
about, right

Posted to rec.woodworking

I hope I'm not the only one who's priority sort is by date so what's at top
is what's current. And I do appologize to those without a news provider,
and newsreader, and for the state of the economy, global warming, etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking

This is a (hopefully last) response (by me, bent) to post made by by JT on
08/01/2007 8:19PM where he blasted me for making fun of him by using the
similar words "etch-a-sketch", and bringing up the "why are you responding
to me" problem. My ((2) etch a sketch comment(s) were made 07/01/2007 at
5PM +/-4 mins. Though on my computer, JTs "etch-a-sketch" comment, the
original "etch-a-sketch" comment comes farther down this posts thread, it is
nonetheless dated 06/01/2007 1:23PM, prior to both the offense noted and
offense (alleged)

If everyone posted as I often post this would never happen. If you are
pointing out something to someone immediately preceedeing, just make it
known. Its a post-order thing, not an attack. If text is needed, I include
it, otherwise I drop it. Most of the posts I have in here, though generally
an addition to what I have said before, do not require an explanation.

Yet you acuse me of being rude:

Well, because you reerenced etch-a-sketch, it's possible you're
referring to the post I made. But, it's really impossible to say for
sure, because you don't bother saying to whom, and what post, you're
responding to. That's just plain rude.

I'm not suggesting I'm just saying, if everyone were to use reply to group
by highlighting the previous post in time, not the one a few up, or the one
at the top, things would sort better, and things wouldn't be condfused with
posts said at one time posted weay down in the sorting order. I am assuming
you didn't receive an e-mail (if you did it is unintentional). While in the
mean time, if I try to keep this clear,everyone is gonna blast me for
criticising them!! It is space and time, it is not someones newsgroup to
dictate you cannot post after someone, especially since NO IDEA. How am I
come to make a comment about someone else making a comment about a comment I
made about that same somewone. The reference to the offending words were
made first, but appear last. The only way to make this work is for everyone
to either never or always use the same posting proceedure. Which is the one
thast makes sense? The one that uses order and date, or the one that uses
date only? I actually don't know - i'm trying to figure it out. Anyone,
can you help.

Posted to rec.woodworking

bent wrote:

| Anyone, can you help.

Some - keep the attribution of the post you're responding to and quote
the particular portion of the post you're talking about.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

this is to do with the origin of my use of the term "etch-a-sketch". In a
computer controlled m/c, say a compucarver, say you can put in a spinning in
the x-y plane round-head router bit. Next say that you have to draw the
part that you have to machine (with the round head router bit), OR you can
write the code. If the part where to look like a square 3D cube, you would
have to direct the cutter head to pivot/reposition its spinning axis into
the x-z and y-z planes. Say you have to draw the part in the 3 standard
principle orthographinc drawing views, Front, Top, and Right. To include
all the features you have to image looking form an infinite distance away
from F, T, or R positions, and include all the hidden lines (in the drawing)
for machining. Imagine the object was a porsch 911. You do not make an
infinite number of views so all points of the features of the car are
perpedicular to the page. So how do you draw a front fender from the back
of the car? No object has labels, just best for making the drawing, and
back (of the car) can mean Left view in this example. You imagine what a
drop of water would do if it landed on the very highest position of the line
of that feature. As it follows gravity. You follow it, with your
pencil/cursor. You have to either code yourself, or draw all features.
This is as basic as it gets. btw JT I don't expect nothing, cept maybe
constructive critism.

bent:
Rarely would a program be written in G-code.

Morris Dovey:
Eh? I'd guess that depends on the operation. More than 95% of the part
programs used in my shop are hand-coded (I hand code 100% of the
g-code part programs).

bent:
yes, I guess it may be inverse in the ww field ,where not a lot isn't
self-evident w/r/t features. Impossible with any 3D stuff. Not that there
isn't 3D involved, but on a etch-a-sketch level. I bet one ornamental
mantel "wing" in the compucarver is thousands of lines long, and probably
not even know code if code is even available.

Posted to rec.woodworking

(Even I can see now; overall) why this could/should/would help, it doesn't
solve the problem, but what do you mean by attribution?: By name?:
mentioning the immediately preeeding poster, or poster you are respondidng
to. "To the group?"

I often think I am just giving info, don't even think about sentence
structure, TWIMC ,and as previously stated is.... "about the topic"

QQQ
What is attribution
aww forget it

Overall I hope someone learned something, besides me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Personally, I'm learning more and more about less and less uintil eventually
I'll know everything about nothing.

Maybe I'm dyslexic savant. If I filter out everything others have to say,
I'll have everything I need to know.

Posted to rec.woodworking

----- BENT scribbled: ---------
If everyone posted as I often post this would never happen. If you are
pointing out something to someone immediately preceedeing, just make it
known. Its a post-order thing, not an attack.

Posts often get to Usenet servers at different times, if at all. Don't
assume what you see as a thread is what others will see.

Most of the posts I have in here, though generally
an addition to what I have said before, do not require an explanation.

I often have no idea what you're referring to, so I skip your post.

Anyone,
can you help.

Sure! Do you see how I left only the information I'm referencing? Try
it! G

White (empty / blank) space between thoughts is also a valuable tool.

Barry
Posted to rec.woodworking

I've also been told not to ask more than one question at a time, and to
number them. As if more information is bad, or one can't remember what the
question is/was. I don't know what you said, whats yur question, theres too
much information, only one question. Number these. Don't ask any
questions. Uhhh, I can't help you. Leave me alone.

Posted to rec.woodworking

maybe if anything

had to do with anything

Posted to rec.woodworking

oh, that was for B A R R Y about what we were talking about before. I hope
you see this in a timely fasion, and it answers your question

Posted to rec.woodworking

bent wrote:
| (Even I can see now; overall) why this could/should/would help, it
| doesn't
| solve the problem, but what do you mean by attribution?: By name?:
| mentioning the immediately preeeding poster, or poster you are
| respondidng
| to. "To the group?"
|
| I often think I am just giving info, don't even think about sentence
| structure, TWIMC ,and as previously stated is.... "about the topic"
|
| QQQ
| What is attribution
| aww forget it
|
| Overall I hope someone learned something, besides me.

Look at the top line of /this/ post. Any doubt about who wrote the
stuff I'm responding to? That line ("bent wrote:") makes clear that
it's your post I'm quoting and responding to. That line attributes
(gives you credit for) the quoted stuff.

Not all posts show up on all news servers; and posts that do show up
don't necessarily appear in the order that they're sent (someone on
the other side of the world - or even down the block might not see
this post for a half hour after I send it).

The attribution helps to clarify who wrote what. If you snip all of
the previous post(s) and/or remove the attribution(s), it begins to
appear that you're having a somewhat strange discussion with just
yourself. This makes readers antsy and, if continued, they'll begin
ignoring what you write. It has about the same value as eye contact in
a face-to-face discussion.

FWIW, grammar and spelling do count on usenet. There are no language
police; but the ability to express a thought coherently and correctly
contribute to credibility - almost as much as knowing what you're
talking about. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

bent wrote:
oh, that was for B A R R Y about what we were talking about before. I hope
you see this in a timely fasion, and it answers your question

It certainly does. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

bent wrote:

snip

I actually don't know - i'm trying to figure it out. Anyone,
can you help.

Quoting William James Hall from Harvard University in an article
entitled "A Quick Guide to Newsgroup Etiquette",

"When you are following up someone's article, please summarize the parts
of the article to which you are responding. This allows readers to
appreciate your comments rather than trying to remember what the
original article said. Summarizing on usenet is generally done by
quoting excerpts of the original post. Quoted material is usually
indicated by marks at the beginnings of lines."

See:
http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/soc-sci/netiquette.html

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

STOP IT PLEASE!

I withdraw the original posted question. Wished I had not started it.

It was only an innocent and honest query which provoked more man-hours
cost in computer time than the cost of the machine. I'm sorry I brought
it up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sometimes it gets out of hand, but generally speaking I can go back and fill
in the gray areas with simple text in brackets and it all makes sense.
There is anything really important missing. Just a lot of it. Maybe I'll
think along these lines in the future. I'm not on the subject of rocket
science, and I don't want to feel scared about saying something (obvious
afterall) quickly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't know anything about the machine. I have brought up a lot. Have you
checked (maybe the sales promo page), the tooling it can use. The travel?
If there was a ng for this machine it would all be written about this stuff;
its code or on the subject of CAD. If it involved neither there would be no
need for the newsgroup at all. I have explained all this.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm only too happy to do this:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00921754000

Didn't find any forums, 'cept a comment or two.

Posted to rec.woodworking

For a little more, see the post "cabinet building software", 05/01/2007 4:07
PM

and the link form the
http://www.holzher.com/seite33.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...
I'm only too happy to do this:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00921754000

Didn't find any forums, 'cept a comment or two.

Well there are 10 user ratings at that link and the overall rating from
those people is 4.5 stars (out of 5). Of those review, 7 of them give
it a perfect 5-star rating.

It might be of limited usefulness for most of the folks around here,
but the people who own it seem to like it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, the Rockcliff homebuilt machine looks like it can perform as
well as the compucarve machine and cheaper.

$20 for the plans
$70 for the material and parts
$345 to $475 for the stepper motors and control board. Possibly
cheaper depending on where you shop for em
$159 for Mach III software

and a computer with a printer port

That's $594 to $724 depending on how elaborate you get with your
stepper motors

That cost versus the almost $2000 for the Compucarve/Carveright system
makes me say, I'll put in the sweat equity and shop around.

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 11:47:41 -0500, Mark Blum
wrote:

Well there are 10 user ratings at that link and the overall rating from
those people is 4.5 stars (out of 5). Of those review, 7 of them give
it a perfect 5-star rating.

It might be of limited usefulness for most of the folks around here,
but the people who own it seem to like it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

do I really need this?

Posted to rec.woodworking

it very obvious you have nothing better to do than follow me around
correcting my synatx and grammar

Posted to rec.woodworking

The OP is complaining about the content, someone else is ****ed off about
some other.

All I can say is I am a man of steel. I do the best I can at all times. I
build cars. Please do not not treat me badly wherever I go.

Posted to rec.woodworking

bent wrote:
do I really need this?

You're rambling, bud. Who are you talking to? (I know it's not me.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 00:35:43 -0500, "bent" wrote:

do I really need this?

How much repeat carving are you going to do.

Yes I am a smart ass.

Weird sense of humor too.

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618
Posted to rec.woodworking

can you remind all that this is either serious, or humorous, and not to
confuse the two, or me with all this extra crap. I have no trouble dealing
with all three, or a combination. None is a little to extreme, even for me.

Lives of great men all remind us
We may make our lives sublime
But in parting leave behind us
Footprints in the sands of time

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:57:55 -0500, "bent" wrote:

None is a little to extreme, even for me.

Big problem is that the only one who knows what or who you are
replying to is you. No quoting, no context for others.

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618