Paulus

Default Help! Trying to get a fax machine working with an answering machine/PABX

I've wired up my house to have a phone socket in each room with the cabling
going to a central point under the stairs, where I have a home PABX
installed. I'd like now to connect a fax machine and an answering machine
(or TAD as these machines seem to be called). The PABX can be programmed so
that it knows on which extensions the fax and TAD are attached to. However,
in this case the answering machine connection cannot be used as a phone, and
since I have a DECT phone/answering machine combo, this means that I can't
internally "phone" this extension.

The fax instructions state that I should connect the fax and any downstream
devices in series, with the fax closest to the cable coming into the house
from the exchange. I looked inside the fax machine, and noticed that all 4
wires on the cable seem to be used, so I assume that the fax machine is
smart enough to switch the call downstream in some way if it decides that
the incoming call is a voice call.

Does anyone know about this, or can point me somewhere?

Many thanks in advance,
Paul

Lurch

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:39:59 GMT, in uk.d-i-y "Paulus"
strung together this:

I've wired up my house to have a phone socket in each room with the cabling
going to a central point under the stairs, where I have a home PABX
installed. I'd like now to connect a fax machine and an answering machine
(or TAD as these machines seem to be called). The PABX can be programmed so
that it knows on which extensions the fax and TAD are attached to. However,
in this case the answering machine connection cannot be used as a phone, and
since I have a DECT phone/answering machine combo, this means that I can't
internally "phone" this extension.

You could, but you'd just get put through to the andswer machine.

The fax instructions state that I should connect the fax and any downstream
devices in series, with the fax closest to the cable coming into the house
from the exchange. I looked inside the fax machine, and noticed that all 4
wires on the cable seem to be used, so I assume that the fax machine is
smart enough to switch the call downstream in some way if it decides that
the incoming call is a voice call.

On a standard system, yes. On a PABX the fax is just installed on one
extension on its own. The switch may have a fax detect switch in it
which does the routing that the fax machine would normally do.

Does anyone know about this, or can point me somewhere?

A mention of the make and model of PABX would help.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Paulus

Thanks for the reply "Bill".

The PABX is a Profoon, CX-6, I think it's a Dutch make.

As for phoning the answering machine. I think it's programmed to only ring
this extension when an external phone call arrives in. When I phone the
extension from another internal phone, nothing happens. I think the PABX is
an old design, and doesn't take account that a phone/answering machine might
be attached.

Paul