Posted to rec.woodworking
bent bent is offline

Default Craftsman Compucarver Machine

this is to do with the origin of my use of the term "etch-a-sketch". In a
computer controlled m/c, say a compucarver, say you can put in a spinning in
the x-y plane round-head router bit. Next say that you have to draw the
part that you have to machine (with the round head router bit), OR you can
write the code. If the part where to look like a square 3D cube, you would
have to direct the cutter head to pivot/reposition its spinning axis into
the x-z and y-z planes. Say you have to draw the part in the 3 standard
principle orthographinc drawing views, Front, Top, and Right. To include
all the features you have to image looking form an infinite distance away
from F, T, or R positions, and include all the hidden lines (in the drawing)
for machining. Imagine the object was a porsch 911. You do not make an
infinite number of views so all points of the features of the car are
perpedicular to the page. So how do you draw a front fender from the back
of the car? No object has labels, just best for making the drawing, and
back (of the car) can mean Left view in this example. You imagine what a
drop of water would do if it landed on the very highest position of the line
of that feature. As it follows gravity. You follow it, with your
pencil/cursor. You have to either code yourself, or draw all features.
This is as basic as it gets. btw JT I don't expect nothing, cept maybe
constructive critism.

bent:
Rarely would a program be written in G-code.

Morris Dovey:
Eh? I'd guess that depends on the operation. More than 95% of the part
programs used in my shop are hand-coded (I hand code 100% of the
g-code part programs).

bent:
yes, I guess it may be inverse in the ww field ,where not a lot isn't
self-evident w/r/t features. Impossible with any 3D stuff. Not that there
isn't 3D involved, but on a etch-a-sketch level. I bet one ornamental
mantel "wing" in the compucarver is thousands of lines long, and probably
not even know code if code is even available.