Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lowes RANT!

Have been asking lumber yards and other places about Baltic Birch ply
availability getting mostly half blank stares as if they hadn't heard
of it before. Recently went to plywood section of local Lowes and
there was a single slab of 1/2" X 5' X 5'. Asked where the rest was
being stored and wood section Mgr said that piece was special order
and walked away with it under his arm. There was a stack of 3/4" X 4'
X 8' labeled Birch ply that had characteristic thin plies making up
the total 23/32" thickness that the Mgr identified as BB. Also some
1/4" X 4' X 8'slabs were there and he said that was all they carried.

Search of their site discloses "Not available at that store". I sent
mail asking how it not available but it was there from special order.
So far that is still open. Suggested in the mail they work up a query
option by product name or category listing what items CAN be special
ordered. They answered the mail stating it would be forwarded to
appropriate people and they called at 7PM to say the same thing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
[...]

You expect them to carry LN planes, too? The difference between them and a
Stanley is about the same as between standard and multiply versions of birch
with the same display faces. This is a home center, for cryin' out loud.

Posted to rec.woodworking

So what's the problem?

Put in a special order, and the manager will keep other lookers from walking
off with YOUR piece of wood.

It's also available by mail....

Old Guy

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
[...]

I noticed that they do not carry Cocobolo either.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 04:39:43 -0500, nospambob wrote:

[...]

I'm curious--where are you located? Several yards in this area
(Connecticut) have Baltic Birch, but they're hardwood yards, not softwood
yards. It's not something I would expect to find at Lowes or Home
Depot. Have you tried http://www.woodfinder.com? It's not comprehensive
or always accurate but it's sometimes a useful starting point.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a rant but it is about a tool.

My boss wanted to re-do is deck with Trex. But he did not want to face
screw it and wanted a hidden fastening system. To which I had no
control of what he ordered or wanted. So he had a couple of options at
the lumber yard where we have credit.

One option was a tiger claw system where you tap one clip on each
joist into the first piece of Trex and the next piece gets driven into
that and you keep repeating this.

The second option he had was a biscuit type system that and you used
stainless steel screws once you cut all the biscuit slots. This is the
method he chose. Which I was fine with I just install.

So we had to buy a biscuit cutter to cut some 100's worth of biscuits.
We purchased a Porter Cable from Lowe's. About a month ago we had to
do the same process at his beach house. We need to replace the blade.
Fine we go to Lowe's search for the blade. They do not sell it. We
tried HD they don't sell it the blade either. I said to the guy in the
tool department. "How can you sell a tool but not the blade?" His
response was "That is the way things are done." And then he told me to
try a hardware store.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Forget Lowe's. If they had BB it would be too high, like their hardwood.

Look around for a hardwood dealer and they will ususally handle Baltic
Birch. There are 2 or 3 in our area that sell it at a reasonable price.
Several of the independent lumber yards do too. The only drawback so far is
they do not always stock the 'A' grade. I occasionally have to settle for a
occasional veneer-filled hole (no filler).

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

Honestly replacing blades on biscuit cutters is a pretty rare
occurance. I suppose the Trex is more abrasive than normal wood. I
wouldn't expect each store to carry a blade that might never get sold.
Yes, retail has to carry lots of inventory but I would give them a pass
on this non-typical item.

The only analogy I can come up with (I love analogies) is expecting
them to carry a replacement chuck for every brand and model of drill
they carry. Yes, chucks go bad but it is not a typical occurance.

Bill Davis Jr wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lou Lou is offline

You guys are funny, I've only been in 3 lowes. I've been asked to leave

all three and not come back. I've happily agreed. I prefer the pro's.
Lou.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark Blum wrote:

Same for my local dealer, who stocks the lower grade. Kind of

annoying
to have a football-shaped patch on the "good" side. Nobody else
anywhere nearby stocks it at all.

For those of you looking for B/B inventory at reasonable prices, have
you tried to find a plywood distributor.

Here in SoCal, have at least 3-4 to choose from.

AT least one of them is on line and will ship.

Last time I was there, they were sending a shipment of something to
New Zealand.

I don't waste time with lumber yards, DIY centers, etc.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Seeing as baltic birch is seldom used as sheathing or floor underlayment, I
wouldn't expect Lowes to carry it.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

The only place I've ever heard of Menards is here. Never seen one.

"Will" wrote in message

Menards has it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark Blum wrote:

We have one plywood distributor nearby (South Jersey), but they will
only sell to the trade.

CASH works wonders in situations like that.

South Jersey tells me you are metro Philly.

Got to be lots of fish in that pond who will do business.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lou" wrote in message
oups.com...

You guys are funny, I've only been in 3 lowes. I've been asked to leave

all three and not come back. I've happily agreed. I prefer the pro's.
Lou.

I'm proud of you. I've only been asked to leave and never come back at one
store. You got me beat.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

Where's the rant?

--
Contentment makes poor men rich. Discontent makes rich men poor.
--Benjamin Franklin

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Bill Davis Jr wrote:
I have a rant but it is about a tool.

...snipped...

Fine we go to Lowe's search for the blade. They do not sell it. We
tried HD they don't sell it the blade either. I said to the guy in the
tool department. "How can you sell a tool but not the blade?" His
response was "That is the way things are done." And then he told me to
try a hardware store.

I think you have too high expectations of Lowes & HD and for that
matter, most hardware stores also. A biscuit cutter is not a very
common tool, compared to say a circular saw or drill, and the
replacement blades would be a low volume item for any retail
store. I know of a few tool dealers in my area that probably stock a
replacement blade for biscuit joiners (Ooops, _almost_ put that 't' in
there!) but honestly, If I needed to replace mine, my first thought
would be mail order.
--
Contentment makes poor men rich. Discontent makes rich men poor.
--Benjamin Franklin
Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark Blum wrote:

Same for my local dealer, who stocks the lower grade. Kind of annoying
to have a football-shaped patch on the "good" side.

What's more annoying is being totally baffled as to which side is
supposed to the BE the good side. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . net, "CW" wrote:
The only place I've ever heard of Menards is here. Never seen one.

It's another big-box home improvement chain, but not national. They're in the
upper-Midwest only, with the largest concentrations of stores in the Chicago,
Minneapolis, and Indianapolis regions.
http://www3.menards.com/menards?mm_d...torefinder.jsp

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"George" wrote in message
. ..

You expect them to carry LN planes, too? The difference between them and

Stanley is about the same as between standard and multiply versions of

birch
with the same display faces. This is a home center, for cryin' out loud.

George - sit down and be quiet. Don't you know it's fashionable to rag on
Home Depot and Lowes? It gives one a certain... oh, shall we say, a "lofty
feeling".

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

South Jersey tells me you are metro Philly.

Got to be lots of fish in that pond who will do business.

When got serious about woodworking, I was shocked at the number of good
hardwood, plywood, and finishing sources we have here in CT.

Ask at local tool stores, call local cabinet shops, etc.. My early
leads came from Woodworkers Warehouse employees. Ask the store
employees where they buy their wood.

Don't expect the dealers to be slickly merchandised stores in a strip
mall. The places you want will often be located in industrial areas,
sometimes "across the tracks". G Some cabinet and millwork shops
will even sell stock and supplies. If you sound like a "time hole",
you'll probably get blown off. Know what you want or be willing to
accept suggestions, and you may develop a very helpful and convenient
relationship.

Be aware that credit cards may not be accepted outside of the DIY /
retail channel. Plan on cash or a check. Green cash can result in
discounts. Lots of places who sell to "the trade" WILL deal with you
under the right circumstances.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 03:28:01 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Lou" wrote in message
roups.com...

You guys are funny, I've only been in 3 lowes. I've been asked to leave

all three and not come back. I've happily agreed. I prefer the pro's.
Lou.

I'm proud of you. I've only been asked to leave and never come back at one
store. You got me beat.

I am sorry, but I just can't even imagine how big of a dick someone
would have to be to be asked to leave a Home Depot or Lowes, let alone
three.

Dave Hall
Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm curious too.

How does one get thrown out of a lowes?

"Lou" wrote in message
oups.com...

You guys are funny, I've only been in 3 lowes. I've been asked to leave

all three and not come back. I've happily agreed. I prefer the pro's.
Lou.

Posted to rec.woodworking

(Doug Miller) writes:
In article . net, "CW" wrote:
The only place I've ever heard of Menards is here. Never seen one.

It's another big-box home improvement chain, but not national. They're in the
upper-Midwest only, with the largest concentrations of stores in the Chicago,
Minneapolis, and Indianapolis regions.
http://www3.menards.com/menards?mm_d...torefinder.jsp

I'm not sure I'd classify them as big-box, unless they've changed considerably
in the last 10 years or so. More like Orchard Supply Hardware in the SF bay
area; big hardware stores with lumber yards, usually outdoors.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Hall writes:
On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 03:28:01 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Lou" wrote in message
groups.com...

You guys are funny, I've only been in 3 lowes. I've been asked to leave

all three and not come back. I've happily agreed. I prefer the pro's.
Lou.

I'm proud of you. I've only been asked to leave and never come back at one
store. You got me beat.

I am sorry, but I just can't even imagine how big of a dick someone
would have to be to be asked to leave a Home Depot or Lowes, let alone
three.

And be proud of it.

scott

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

Lou wrote:
You guys are funny, I've only been in 3 lowes. I've been asked to leave

all three and not come back. I've happily agreed. I prefer the pro's.
Lou.

After you got thrown out of the first one (and was glad), why did you
go to two other ones?
Is this your idea of entertainment, annoying store employees to the
point that they ask you to leave? It's not the fault of the people
working on the floor that the store is stocked the way it is, that
decision is made by management way above them. They are just trying to
earn a living, and there's no excuse to be a jerk to them.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lou Lou is offline

Well, the size of my dick has nothing to do with it, but thanks for
thinking with yours.
When your used to dealing with inteligent people for materials and you
venture into a Lowes.
You end up talking to the hired help and can't help thinking that there
are plenty of people who
are actually good at job but are unemployed, and then you have Lowes.
They must have to fail an
IQ test just to get on the payroll. I have yet to meet less inteligent
then the people who work there
unless you consider the people who think its a great store. Good luck
with that dick thing.
Lou

Posted to rec.woodworking

It all comes full circle baby. With aholes like the guys that get
tossed out of big box hardware stores can you blame the wholesale guys
for not wanting to sell to the public?

B A R R Y wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lou" wrote:

When your used to dealing with inteligent people for materials and you
venture into a Lowes.

Nice sentence.

I have yet to meet less inteligent
then the people who work there
unless you consider the people who think its a great store.

If your[sic] looking too see less inteligent[sic] then[sic] the people
who work at Lowes, there's one place to check -- its[sic] a mirror.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lou Lou is offline

..If your[sic] looking too see less inteligent[sic] then[sic] the people
who work at Lowes, there's one place to check -- its[sic] a mirror.

I'm sorry to hear that your mirror has this problem.
Lou

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lou" wrote in message
ups.com...
.If your[sic] looking too see less inteligent[sic] then[sic] the people
who work at Lowes, there's one place to check -- its[sic] a mirror.
--
Alex -- Replace "nospam" with "mail" to reply by email. Checked
infrequently.

I'm sorry to hear that your mirror has this problem.
Lou

Who permitted a 3 y/o to post here?
Grow up or tell your mommy to take the computer away from you.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lou Lou is offline

LouWho permitted a 3 y/o to post here?

Grow up or tell your mommy to take the computer away from you.

Wow, So you really think that a 3 year old can match you thought for
thought.
I feel sorry for your family.
Lou

The Borg vs Lowes Drb Woodworking 10 August 8th 06 03:23 AM
Tools at lowes brianlanning Woodworking 12 May 3rd 05 07:09 AM
ON TOPIC (RANT) MidAmerican Extrusions (RANT) Pedro Metalworking 4 April 25th 05 11:02 PM
Boiler at Lowes? No Home Repair 1 March 25th 05 08:09 PM
Aluminum at Lowes [email protected] Metalworking 7 January 28th 05 11:26 PM