Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lowes RANT!

Honestly replacing blades on biscuit cutters is a pretty rare
occurance. I suppose the Trex is more abrasive than normal wood. I
wouldn't expect each store to carry a blade that might never get sold.
Yes, retail has to carry lots of inventory but I would give them a pass
on this non-typical item.

The only analogy I can come up with (I love analogies) is expecting
them to carry a replacement chuck for every brand and model of drill
they carry. Yes, chucks go bad but it is not a typical occurance.

Bill Davis Jr wrote:
I have a rant but it is about a tool.

My boss wanted to re-do is deck with Trex. But he did not want to face
screw it and wanted a hidden fastening system. To which I had no
control of what he ordered or wanted. So he had a couple of options at
the lumber yard where we have credit.

One option was a tiger claw system where you tap one clip on each
joist into the first piece of Trex and the next piece gets driven into
that and you keep repeating this.

The second option he had was a biscuit type system that and you used
stainless steel screws once you cut all the biscuit slots. This is the
method he chose. Which I was fine with I just install.

So we had to buy a biscuit cutter to cut some 100's worth of biscuits.
We purchased a Porter Cable from Lowe's. About a month ago we had to
do the same process at his beach house. We need to replace the blade.
Fine we go to Lowe's search for the blade. They do not sell it. We
tried HD they don't sell it the blade either. I said to the guy in the
tool department. "How can you sell a tool but not the blade?" His
response was "That is the way things are done." And then he told me to
try a hardware store.