Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sad news and Good news

It was bound to happen. Our dog, my shop dog, got old and we had to put her
down Friday.
She was a Chocolate Lab and adopted our family after being traded between 3
previous families. 2 months before we were adopted we had put down our 10
year old Great Dane and I was not really ready for another dog quite yet but
the price was right. I really did not have much to do with her but as time
passed she chose me to be her companion over the other family members and I
grew very fond of her. She was a natural in the shop and I often found her
under a pile of shavings at the far side of the planer. She loved laying
out in the shop with me and keeping all the cats and squirrels at a safe
distant. She never met a person that she did not like. But, as I
mentioned, she got old and arthritis started to take its toll starting about
a year ago. Little by little she had more trouble getting up and down but
never showed any sign of being in pain. At Thanksgiving last month a 2 year
old nephew crawled all over her with never any sign of discomfort or
disapproval. This month she turned 14 years old. She was a great dog and
I'll miss her for a long time to come.

Because a new dog helps to relieve the pain of a lost friend we got a new
family companion today. We went for a Great Dane again and let her spend
some time in the shop this after noon. She watched with interest and
curiosity. She was 2 months old yesterday.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

Giving up a dog is hard. Sorry to hear you had to make that tough
decision.

My dad's maid is a Dane owner. Her recent acquisition was 3 months old
when I met 'it'.
What a delightfully goofy animal. If I wasn't so busy, I could go a dog
like that.
Congratulations. Pictures, please!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
It was bound to happen. Our dog, my shop dog, got old and we had to put her
down Friday.

I understand as one who's been there. Everybody needs a dog so they
can know unconditional love. Sorry for your loss.

DonkeyHody

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Leon" wrote:
[...]

Sorry to hear of your loss. I've had dogs my entire life, and I know what it's
like to lose an old friend. Someone once said that it's good that dogs are
with us only for a (relatively) short time, else we could not bear it when
they die.

Because a new dog helps to relieve the pain of a lost friend we got a new
family companion today.

Yes, it does. Good luck with the new family member!

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ps.com...
..

Giving up a dog is hard. Sorry to hear you had to make that tough
decision.

Thanks

My dad's maid is a Dane owner. Her recent acquisition was 3 months old
when I met 'it'.
What a delightfully goofy animal. If I wasn't so busy, I could go a dog
like that.

Truly goofy, Polly, our old Dane after 6 years, discovered that we had
ceiling fans in every room and was scared to walk under them so she walked
the perimeter of the room keeping an eye on the fan if it was on. And if a
door was not Wide open she would not go through it. A 100 lb Great Dane
balling her eyes out because she can see you through the door but because
the door is at a 45 degree angle she just could not bring herself to pass
through the opening. ;~)

Congratulations. Pictures, please!

Done on a.b.p.w.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DonkeyHody wrote:

I understand as one who's been there. Everybody needs a dog so they
can know unconditional love. Sorry for your loss.

DonkeyHody

Nicely said.

You and Kim certainly have my sympathy as I too know how hard that is
to go through.

I was never actually able to give up my old Shepherd. After saving him
from the population control efforts of our city, I had him for almost
14 years. Like many Shepherds, he was completely loyal to me, and in
his case never cared for anyone else but me.

He is still with me... I had him cremated and his ashes are in an urn
with his collar around it on my mantle.

Hang in there... a new dog is a tonic for all.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Done on a.b.p.w.

I posted a shot of my buddy's Dane, Porsche... about 5 years ago. He's
still alive.

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you want to become a diplomat, get a cat.

If you want to practice being a parent, then have a
friend for his or her life - get a dog. If you have
a kid, have him or her grow up with a dog - a lab
or golden retriever preferably.

If you want a great dog get a lab. If you want a goofy
great dog - that can be mischivous as hell - get a
chocolate lab. Nitro earned his name by his third
month on this planet.

If you want to learn of loss - own a good dog.

If you want to know that death isn't the end
owning a dog for its lifetime will give you a
pretty good start. You will have many reminders
of that as you go about your daily life - memories
of your dog at every turn for a while, then less
often but often enough to know there's still
hanging out with you. If they're in your thoughts
and in your heart they're not gone - just not
visible and impossible to "scritch".

Getting a pup around 7 weeks is when they
do their imprinting. You're now his/her
mother/father/ pack leader and unlike most
animals, that animal will die for you - without
hesitation or question.

Losing a good dog is hard.

A real pity would be that you never had a dog.

Enjoy the new pup. Teach him well and treat
him better.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Sorry for your loss Leon. Do a search for Rainbow Bridge and you'll find a
long list of sites of a poem for passed on pets. It's worth looking at a few
of them as one has an addition to it for abused pets and children.
Hope your new shop dog is around for a long time to come.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
It was bound to happen. Our dog, my shop dog, got old and we had to put

her
down Friday.

She never met a person that she did not like

Having met her, I can attest to that, and am truly sorry to hear that, Leon.

I still hear the collar of our Golden, "Belle", who we had to put down two
years ago, tinkling through the house on occasion.

Sounds like the new shop dog will be able to help you move equipment around
when she grows up.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/25/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlie b" wrote in message
If you want to become a diplomat, get a cat.

Yeah, LOL. If you have a cat, you are his "Staff".

If you want to practice being a parent, then have a
friend for his or her life - get a dog. If you have
a kid, have him or her grow up with a dog - a lab
or golden retriever preferably.

We got Ciera, the Choc Lab when our son was 5, Bryan is 19 now. She got
him through school and a a good start into college.

[...]

Thank you for the kind words Charlie.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
It was bound to happen. Our dog, my shop dog, got old and we had to put

her
down Friday.

She never met a person that she did not like

Having met her, I can attest to that, and am truly sorry to hear that,
Leon.

Thank you.

I still hear the collar of our Golden, "Belle", who we had to put down two
years ago, tinkling through the house on occasion.

It's tough walking out of the bed room in the mornings expecting to be
greeted.

Sounds like the new shop dog will be able to help you move equipment
around
when she grows up.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/25/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

I've had to say goodbye to 3 dogs. Each time it gets harder. They each had
there own personality and all shared there love in good and bad times. I've
learned to understand why the backwards spelling of doG is what it
is....unconditional and all forgiving love
"Leon" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee" wrote in message
. ..
I've had to say goodbye to 3 dogs. Each time it gets harder. They each had
there own personality and all shared there love in good and bad times.
I've learned to understand why the backwards spelling of doG is what it
is....unconditional and all forgiving love

Ciera was our 3rd also. We thought we were going to have to put her down in
April of this year and again in August but she kept coming back from a bad
bout. I guess that made it a bit easier as we had a few months to get used
to the idea but it never really hits home until you loose what you have to
come expect to see and hear from a companion each day.

Thank you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DonkeyHody wrote:
I understand as one who's been there. Everybody needs a dog so they
can know unconditional love. Sorry for your loss.

My brother had a dog, Smokey, that had to be put down this past summer.
Bob buried him in the back yard by the fence. My Dad loved that dog
and with good reason. Smokey was the sweetest dog I had ever been
around.

Dad died a couple of weeks ago and, when we went to the funeral home to
finalize the arrangements, we were each give a small velet bag full of
wildflower seeds to plant in memory of Dad. Bob, immediatly knew where
he was going to plant the seeds: Right on old Smokey's grave.

Dick "misty eyed" Durbin

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm so sorry. I've had dogs all my life and losing one is
always hard. My condolences. Not that he lacks for affection
but it reminds me to go hug Damien, my hound/border collie mix,
right now.

Leon wrote:
It was bound to happen. Our dog, my shop dog, got old and we had to put her
down Friday.
She was a Chocolate Lab and adopted our family after being traded between 3
previous families. 2 months before we were adopted we had put down our 10
year old Great Dane and I was not really ready for another dog quite yet but
the price was right. I really did not have much to do with her but as time
passed she chose me to be her companion over the other family members and I
grew very fond of her.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Condolences and congratulations, Leon. It is always tough to lose a part of
the family but it sounds like the addition will ease the loss!

My best for the New Year!

Vic

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
. net...
It was bound to happen. Our dog, my shop dog, got old and we had to put
her down Friday.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Even though you know it's coming, you are
never ready for it.

Because a new dog helps to relieve the pain of a lost friend we got a new
family companion today.

About 5 years ago we bought my daughter a 10 week old Toy Fox/Yorkie mix
from a co-worker for $50. Well, when 'Peanut' was killed by a car about 18
months later, she was devastated. After about a month we got her a Cocker
Spaniel (Missy); what we didn't realize for another couple of months, was
that our son (older) was just as hurt - he was the first to get home from
school, and had 'Peanut' as his only companion for about 3 hours each day.
So we bought him a Yorkie (Vixen). I used to kid my co-worker that it only
cost us $1,000 to replace a $50 dog. But you can't replace them - you just
get a new friend to spend time with - and I still miss 'Peanut'.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Vic Baron" wrote in message
t...

Condolences and congratulations, Leon. It is always tough to lose a part
of the family but it sounds like the addition will ease the loss!

My best for the New Year!

Thank you Vic.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom S" wrote in message

About 5 years ago we bought my daughter a 10 week old Toy Fox/Yorkie mix
from a co-worker for $50. Well, when 'Peanut' was killed by a car about 18
months later, she was devastated. After about a month we got her a Cocker
Spaniel (Missy); what we didn't realize for another couple of months, was
that our son (older) was just as hurt - he was the first to get home from
school, and had 'Peanut' as his only companion for about 3 hours each day.
So we bought him a Yorkie (Vixen). I used to kid my co-worker that it only
cost us $1,000 to replace a $50 dog. But you can't replace them - you just
get a new friend to spend time with - and I still miss 'Peanut'.

I would already miss the new one. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Finding the keyboard operational
Leon entered:

[...]

My wife and I take in "older" dogs so I have felt your loss many more times
then I thought I would.
I am convinced that somehow dogs leave instructions for the new dog.
Something like "This is your human now and you are going to have to train
him. It's going to take him some time to learn when you have to go out. Just
pee on the floor and sooner or later he'll learn. And don't forget to chew
up something you don't want to. Gotta keep him occupied. Most of all he's a
sucker for that cute look but don't do it too often. Make him earn it."
We just picked up 2 new bassets last month. They almost have me trained.
Bob

Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times
www.moondoggiecoffee.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"The Other Funk" wrote in message

My wife and I take in "older" dogs so I have felt your loss many more
times then I thought I would.
I am convinced that somehow dogs leave instructions for the new dog.
Something like "This is your human now and you are going to have to train
him. It's going to take him some time to learn when you have to go out.
Just pee on the floor and sooner or later he'll learn. And don't forget
to chew up something you don't want to. Gotta keep him occupied. Most of
all he's a sucker for that cute look but don't do it too often. Make him
earn it."
We just picked up 2 new bassets last month. They almost have me trained.
Bob

Shockingly, the new pup has not had an accident in the house yet. We OTOH
have had 2 because the whimpering did not register 15 minutes after coming
back in from out side. This 8 week old pup woke my wife up by whimpering to
let her out side. She knows already to let us know.
Also we have had her for 2 nights now and no crying. She goes right into
the kennel and that's it until morning.
Our first Great Dane was trained by our Weimeraner, or at least I thought.
I am convinced that Ciera's scent has helped to break in the new pup to her
new home. I believe you are right about the older dog leaving instructions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Leon
wrote:

We went for a Great Dane again and let her spend
some time in the shop this after noon.

I'm very sorry about your loss. We lost our 13 year old German
Shepherd/Australian Shepherd mix just over a year ago. On the morning I
was going to take her to the vet for that final shot, she didn't wake
up. She was such a great guardian that she even spared me from that
pain at the end.

A new dog is always great therapy.

We had been keeping an eye out for a Great Dane to rescue, but we also
liked the idea of a bloodhound. Out of the blue, a friend called and
asked if we had room for a Great Dane/Bloodhound mix.

The mix is every bit as loveable and goofy as you would imagine. She
looks like the world's tallest coonhound.

Behold, Tonka:

http://www.etasigma.org/tonka/tonka.html

Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Kevin Craig" wrote in message

Snip

We had been keeping an eye out for a Great Dane to rescue, but we also
liked the idea of a bloodhound. Out of the blue, a friend called and
asked if we had room for a Great Dane/Bloodhound mix.

Beware of LONG floppy ears. You have to dry them off after the dog eats or
drinks. My neice had a Coon Hound with long ears and it was a mess, they
would dip in to the food and water bowl. ;~) Then again the Danes tend to
carry half a dinner under those lips after they finish eating at the bowl.
LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sorry to hear it sir.

We lost our yellow lab about 1 year ago for the same reason.

All the replies are bringing back memories of our lab. I got him after
reading about many of the breeds and liked the fact that they like kids
and are very good natured. I thought this "retriever" breed would
retireve if you wanted it to. Boy was I wrong. After he turned one
year I was working outside one day and he came trotting up with a 2 by 4
by 8 feet long in his mouth. I could tell he was having trouble carring
it but he sure was proud. Then the compulsive retrieving continued for
awhile: neighborhood kid's toys, clothes from a clothesline, sock,
shoes, dead cow femurs, and other stuff. And boy did he have a
curiosity about food and an appetite. One day I came home from work and
didn't see him around(we had several acres and he ran free). But on the
ground there were these curious cardboard pieces and bits of white
plastic. I finally realized that my bottle of 500 large multiple
vitamins had arrived and our lab had torn open the package after UPS
left and eatin them all. I found him around back nursing an upset
stomach!

We still haven't continplated a new dog but I hope we do soon.

Keep those good memories and add more with the new dog. I have a
feeling the new one will turn out good also. The indians use to say
that dogs thought that man was a god because he could bring down wild
game from a distance with weapons. Not sure of that, but for some
reason they like us. I am surprised but glad that they do.

Ron T

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ron Truitt" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you Ron.

IT News - Tech News - Search Engine News - Updates News Page O Rama Home Repair 1 April 23rd 06 04:13 PM
More sad news... Keith Marshall Metalworking 1 December 6th 05 03:18 AM
Rikon 18" Band Saw, Bad News-Maybe Good news Leon Woodworking 7 December 3rd 05 05:17 PM
Sad News Keith Marshall Metalworking 7 October 4th 05 01:19 AM
Some good news and some bad news Michael Mcneil UK diy 50 June 3rd 04 07:15 PM