Keith Marshall

Default Sad News

I watched a rerun of Southern Steel this morning on Discovery Channel and
happened to notice at the end they displayed a message saying something
like: In loving memory of Gary Woodford, 1953 - 2005.

If you've ever watched the show you know Gary as the older guy with the long
ZZ-Top style beard that did nearly all of the metalworking and was fun to
watch. The show includes a bit more actual metalwork than others and a bit
less of the BS although the boss does get annoying at times. ;-)

Gary was obiously the most creative and impressive of the bunch. He seemed
to have a really unique outlook on life. Once when he was having a tough
time with something, rather than get ****ed off and rant and rave like many
of us might do he walked outside to find a 4-leaf clover. :-)

I'd never heard his last name and wasn't sure if he was the one mentioned so
I did a Google search but didn't find anything. Then I tried

http://www.milwaukeeiron.com

and found that it was indeed him. He passed away just a couple of days ago
but they don't say why.

Here's a link to a tribute to him:

http://www.milwaukeeiron.com/item.as...& Backlink=No

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

wallster

"Keith Marshall" wrote in message
m...
I watched a rerun of Southern Steel this morning on Discovery Channel and
happened to notice at the end they displayed a message saying something
like: In loving memory of Gary Woodford, 1953 - 2005.

If you've ever watched the show you know Gary as the older guy with the
long ZZ-Top style beard that did nearly all of the metalworking and was
fun to watch. The show includes a bit more actual metalwork than others
and a bit less of the BS although the boss does get annoying at times.
;-)

Gary was obiously the most creative and impressive of the bunch. He
seemed to have a really unique outlook on life. Once when he was having a
tough time with something, rather than get ****ed off and rant and rave
like many of us might do he walked outside to find a 4-leaf clover. :-)

I'd never heard his last name and wasn't sure if he was the one mentioned
so I did a Google search but didn't find anything. Then I tried

http://www.milwaukeeiron.com

and found that it was indeed him. He passed away just a couple of days
ago but they don't say why.

Here's a link to a tribute to him:

http://www.milwaukeeiron.com/item.as...& Backlink=No

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

That is very sad news indeed. That guy was a real craftsman.

walt

Spehro Pefhany

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 02:04:24 GMT, the renowned "Keith Marshall"
wrote:

[...]

An obit from the local Lynchburg, VA paper.

http://www.newsadvance.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=LNA%2FMGArticle%2FLNA_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031785316777&path=!obituaries

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
michael

Keith Marshall wrote:
[...]

Small world. I did some work, through another vendor, some years ago for
MI. Looking at the website, some of the parts pictured looked familiar,
the triple trees in particular. I was in touch directly with them at the
time get questions answered and/or feedback on ideas I had, etc. ISTR
speaking with someone named Gary on the phone. If it was the same Gary,
he impressed me as being a genuinely decent person. I'm sure those who
were close will miss him greatly.

michael
wallster

Keith Marshall wrote:
[...]

He had an apparent heart attack.
http://www.wset.com/news/stories/0905/264192.html
....rip Gary.

Here's a link to a tribute to him:

http://www.milwaukeeiron.com/item.as...& Backlink=No

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Jaime

"wallster" wrote in message
oups.com...
He had an apparent heart attack.
http://www.wset.com/news/stories/0905/264192.html
...rip Gary.

That sucks. I had a mild heart attack last year and they are NO FUN.
Anyway that is too bad about the guy. I watched the show from time to time
and liked him.

RDF

Guys- Was this a re-run? The last episodes I saw is where they were getting
the laser cutter and started the production bike kits.
What a loss! That was one cool guy. I would give my front teeth to work
in a shop with that atmosphere and a guy like Gary to learn from. They have
to be devastated beyond belief. (especially his two sidekicks) They were
just in AWS magazine last month too. Wow, I can't believe it.... You figure
the steroid loaded Tetul Sr. would drop before a laid back clover hunting
guy who I never saw get angry or even stress out. Sort of makes you think.
I can't believe it. I was a Larry DeSchmidt fan since I was a kid and the
only tattoo I have is his logo under my left wrist. I wear my Rolex and I
look at it to keep me inspired and when things get tough and I need to bust
my ass a little harder I look at the bottom of my wrist and Larry's logo is
there underneath it, opposite to let me know it's all gonna work out in the
end. My Ying/Yang thing.
I'm floored that Gary passed. I would have never figured... Really makes
you think. I called and made an appt for a total physical after reading
this. And one of the "Total body cardio scans" Just seems so unfair. I
just feel bad for the people he left behind.

Respects,

Rob Fraser

Fraser Competition Engines
Chicago, IL.
Long Beach, CA.
"wallster" wrote in message
oups.com...

Keith Marshall wrote:
[...]

Keith Marshall

Guys- Was this a re-run? The last episodes I saw is where they were
getting

the laser cutter and started the production bike kits.

Yes, it was one of the early shows and they just put the "in memory of"
message at the end.

What a loss! That was one cool guy. I would give my front teeth to work

in a shop with that atmosphere and a guy like Gary to learn from.

Me too! I was really impressed with his attitude as much as his talent. I
was surpised to find out he was just 52 though. He looked a bit older to me
so perhaps that was some indication that health problems were on the way.
:-(

"RDF" wrote in message
[...]

"wallster" wrote in message
oups.com...