Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Home Depot - what a bunch of maroons

as Bugs would say. FWW had a review of spindle sanders in their Tools &
Shops issue. The $200.00 RIDGID took Best Overall *and* Best Value. It
just so happens that I'm interested in making some bandsaw boxes, and
I've had my eye on the RIDGID one for a long time, so I had to run out
to Home Depot and buy one. :-)

So I ask the guy where the sanding spindles are, because I want to get
some extras. He says, "We don't carry any spindles except we have this
one pack" -- and he drags out an old shopworn plastic bag of sanding
spindles for the Ryobi, which they also sell. So I ask him if they will
be getting some in, and he says, "No, we don't carry them at all."

I'm thinking why on earth would somebody sell a sander with a lifetime
guarantee and not sell the sanding spindles for it?

None were to be found on the HD web site when I searched for "sanding
spindles" or "sanding sleeves." Klingspors has a wide variety, of
course.

Just another chapter in the story of the long, slow slide of HD into
irrelevance.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 4, 10:31 pm, Argon wrote:
[snip]

Just another chapter in the story of the long, slow slide of HD into
irrelevance.

The HD here doesn't even carry 6" hook 'n loop sandpaper for their own
RIDGID ROS.
They also tried to sell me an extended warranty for a tool with
life-time warranty...no joke.

Slipping fast.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Argon wrote:
I'm thinking why on earth would somebody sell a sander with a lifetime
guarantee and not sell the sanding spindles for it?

As Homer would say: "I dunno....Innernet?"

I think it's one of those things where they want to cover the bases by
having one for sale, but they figure too few of them will sell to
justify carrying spindles. They don't carry many of the machines in
stock either.

I'm interested in one of those sanders too. Perhaps we should both
email Home Depot and Ridgid.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:31:52 -0700, Argon wrote:

as Bugs would say. FWW had a review of spindle sanders in their Tools &
Shops issue. The $200.00 RIDGID took Best Overall *and* Best Value. It
just so happens that I'm interested in making some bandsaw boxes, and
I've had my eye on the RIDGID one for a long time, so I had to run out
to Home Depot and buy one. :-)

So I ask the guy where the sanding spindles are, because I want to get
some extras. He says, "We don't carry any spindles except we have this
one pack" -- and he drags out an old shopworn plastic bag of sanding
spindles for the Ryobi, which they also sell.

I don't know why everybody complains about this--the Ryobi spindles work
fine, they're about as cheap as spindles get (try to find another set for
less), and they're in standard sizes--there's nothing magic about the
Ridgid that makes it require a special spindle.

So I ask him if they will
be getting some in, and he says, "No, we don't carry them at all."

I'm thinking why on earth would somebody sell a sander with a lifetime
guarantee and not sell the sanding spindles for it?

Would you be this upset if those spindles came in a package that said
"Norton" or "3M" on it instead of "Ryobi"?

None were to be found on the HD web site when I searched for "sanding
spindles" or "sanding sleeves." Klingspors has a wide variety, of
course.

You won't find them on the Ridgid web site either.

Just another chapter in the story of the long, slow slide of HD into
irrelevance.

I'm sorry, while I loathe Home Depot this seems to me to be complaining
for the sake of complaining. If you think Ridgid should go into the
sandpaper business you really should take the matter up with them.

Main thing Klingspor gets you over Ryobi is choice of grits.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:24:00 -0800, MUSTANGS7981 wrote:

How about they are "morons" not the color maroon :-)

How about you take that up with Warner Brothers. Or are you unfamiliar
with the cartoon character "Bugs Bunny", one of whose catchphrases is
"what a maroon"? Note--not "what a moron", he clearly and distinctly
pronounces the long-double-oh sound.

Argon wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Argon wrote:
[...]

Are you talking about the RIDGID Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander,
Model EB4424? It uses (according to the Home Depot web site) a 4 x 24"
belt, of the type used on hand-held belt sanders. Should be available
just about anywhere (except Home Depot of course!)

--Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Well, that certainly helps explain why their stock price hasn't moved for
the last 4+ years. :-(

Buy high, sell low, that's *my* investment strategy. Well, maybe not
strategy so much as reality.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
How about they are "morons" not the color maroon :-)

Bugs Bunny used to say "What a maroon!"
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Well, that certainly helps explain why their stock price hasn't moved for
the last 4+ years. :-(

Buy high, sell low, that's *my* investment strategy. Well, maybe not
strategy so much as reality.

Home Depot. Whose idea has come....and gone. The local store is now
hiring out of Future Shop and Best Buy.... what does that tell you?
Soon they'll be luring away Burger King employees.
You can only fool people for so long... (no sirreee..not a statement
about politics.. no no no.)
Yup, they move into town, kill off the blood and guts that went into
the brick & mortar family owned stores... and move on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 21:46:25 -0800, Steve wrote:

Argon wrote:
[...]

It uses a belt with the belt adapter but it also uses standard 4-1/2"
spindles in various diameters. Sears (across the street from HD here) has
belts in stock that will fit (so does HD for that matter) but I got a
bargain box from Klingspor which gives me more belts than I'm probably
ever going to use.

--Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5 Dec 2006 05:55:01 -0800, "Robatoy" wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Yup, they move into town, kill off the blood and guts that went into
the brick & mortar family owned stores... and move on.

This strategy was perfected by WalMart 20 years ago when they
decimated rural communities and then abandoned them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Dubea" wrote in message

This strategy was perfected by WalMart 20 years ago when they
decimated rural communities and then abandoned them.

I just spent the better part of a week in a small AR town whose entire
cultural center revolved around a Wal-Mart SuperCenter and an Atwoods (farm
& ranch version of Harbor Freight).

Further proof of the BORG insidious assimilation being ingrained and
complete: even for this country boy, around the third day and the sixth
visit to each, I found myself looking forward to going again ...

Sad ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Yup, they move into town, kill off the blood and guts that went into
the brick & mortar family owned stores... and move on.

This strategy was perfected by WalMart 20 years ago when they
decimated rural communities and then abandoned them.

Where do you see Wal Mart and Home Depot pull out of town after they have
"decimated" them?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bixby, Oklahoma for one...

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 17:49:03 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

.. .

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Yup, they move into town, kill off the blood and guts that went into
the brick & mortar family owned stores... and move on.

This strategy was perfected by WalMart 20 years ago when they
decimated rural communities and then abandoned them.

Where do you see Wal Mart and Home Depot pull out of town after they have
"decimated" them?

Mike Alexander
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
See my online aerial photo album at
http://flying.4alexanders.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike 'Flyin'8'" wrote in message

Bixby, Oklahoma for one...

So what you're saying is that Wal Mart or Home Depot moved into Bixby, drove
out all of the mom-n-pop businesses (which has been demonstrated to be a
falisy, but we'll assume it for the sake of the discussion), and then having
successfully closed down all of these salt of the earth businesses, pulled
out of Bixby themselves?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lou Lou is offline

On Dec 5, 5:41 pm, "Mike Marlow" wrote:
"Mike 'Flyin'8'" wrote in messagenews:taubn2l391d58bokrcjcs5bsnt99ug54t4@4ax .com...

Bixby, Oklahoma for one...So what you're saying is that Wal Mart or Home Depot moved into Bixby, drove

out all of the mom-n-pop businesses (which has been demonstrated to be a
falisy,

Falisy my ass. I see it happen quite a bit.
Lou

Posted to rec.woodworking

To make sure there is no hidden words in your text that I am missing,
I will write it out in exact terms...

-It is a fact that Wal Mart moved into Bixby.
-It is a fact that shortly there after, a large number of the small
privately owned retailers (Mom and Pop shops if you will) located in
and near the town closed up shop and ceased to operate as a business
entity.
-It is a fact, that less than 5 years after opening, Wal Mart pulled
up stakes and left.

Those are the facts of one small rural town. Call it a falisy if you
like.

To say ALL mom and pop shops are gone is not accurate. This is most
likely true in ANY of the cases... But it certainly did have a
negative impact on the number of small retailers in the town.

"Mike 'Flyin'8'" wrote in message
.. .

Bixby, Oklahoma for one...

So what you're saying is that Wal Mart or Home Depot moved into Bixby, drove
out all of the mom-n-pop businesses (which has been demonstrated to be a
falisy, but we'll assume it for the sake of the discussion), and then having
successfully closed down all of these salt of the earth businesses, pulled
out of Bixby themselves?

Mike Alexander
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
See my online aerial photo album at
http://flying.4alexanders.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Where do you see Wal Mart and Home Depot pull out of town after they have
"decimated" them?

Bixby is a suburb of Tulsa. It looks like Home Depot still has eight
stores in the Tulsa area.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:24:00 -0800, MUSTANGS7981 wrote:

How about they are "morons" not the color maroon :-)

How about you take that up with Warner Brothers. Or are you unfamiliar
with the cartoon character "Bugs Bunny", one of whose catchphrases is
"what a maroon"? Note--not "what a moron", he clearly and distinctly
pronounces the long-double-oh sound.

Right from the wabbit's mouth:

http://www.earthstation1.com/WBCarto...avs/maroon.wav

B.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Mike 'Flyin'8' wrote:
To make sure there is no hidden words in your text that I am missing,
I will write it out in exact terms...

-It is a fact that Wal Mart moved into Bixby.
-It is a fact that shortly there after, a large number of the small
privately owned retailers (Mom and Pop shops if you will) located in
and near the town closed up shop and ceased to operate as a business
entity.
-It is a fact, that less than 5 years after opening, Wal Mart pulled
up stakes and left.

Those are the facts of one small rural town. Call it a falisy if you
like.

The word is "fallacy". And speaking of fallacies... it is NOT a fact that
Bixby OK is a "small rural town". Bixby OK is a suburb of Tulsa, with a
population of some 16 or 18 thousand.

Bixby is right on the Arkansas River. There are four or five WalMart stores
just across the river from Bixby.

So... if you couldn't get even that little bit right, it doesn't seem there's
much reason to put any stock in your other claims, either. Care to
substantiate them? Note: "everybody knows it happened" won't fly. Let's see
some actual, you know, *proof*.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike 'Flyin'8'" wrote in message

To make sure there is no hidden words in your text that I am missing,
I will write it out in exact terms...

Thanks - that makes your comment from the previous post easier to
understand - lends context.

-It is a fact that Wal Mart moved into Bixby.
-It is a fact that shortly there after, a large number of the small
privately owned retailers (Mom and Pop shops if you will) located in
and near the town closed up shop and ceased to operate as a business
entity.
-It is a fact, that less than 5 years after opening, Wal Mart pulled
up stakes and left.

I'd sure have to understand more about this decision to close a brand new
Wal Mart. This is an anomoly in the world of Wal Mart. There certainly had
to be factors surrounding the decision to close this particular store that
you left out, either because you're not aware of them or you are trying to
skew a point by limiting the "facts" to an abreviated list of occurances.

Those are the facts of one small rural town. Call it a falisy if you
like.

Never said that your claim was false. What I said was that the ever-present
"drove all of the mom-n-pops out of business" was a false claim. In fact,
every place that a Wal Mart or a Home Depot exist, small business exists too
which compete at some level with the Wal Mart or the Home Depot. I've
posted here before that Ace Hardware tells their franchise owners who are
worried about a new Wal Mart coming into their area that the best thing that
could happen for their business is that Wal Mart would open right across the
street from them.

To say ALL mom and pop shops are gone is not accurate. This is most
likely true in ANY of the cases... But it certainly did have a
negative impact on the number of small retailers in the town.

As in the case of many locations, some small businesses do fold when a big
store moves in. They typically don't have the ability to compete with
anyone, let alone Wal Mart, because they only existed based on a
stranglehold they had on the area prior to Wal Mart coming along. It is
common to find these types of enterprises crying that Wal Mart is going to
run them out of business, and then close immediately upon the opening of Wal
Mart. In fact, Wal Mart did not run them out of business, but was a
convenient excuse and even more conveniently, Wal Mart provided them with a
nice David and Goliath story.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Brown" wrote in message

OK, please lets try and get it right - the word is "fallacy".

Correction noted and appreciated.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" writes:

which compete at some level with the Wal Mart or the Home Depot. I've
posted here before that Ace Hardware tells their franchise owners who are
worried about a new Wal Mart coming into their area that the best thing that
could happen for their business is that Wal Mart would open right across the
street from them.

There is a Super Walmart in Beatrice, Nebraska population 12,000. Also a
Tractor Supply and a few few other chain stores.

My friend and I were visiting town a few years back and needed some
plumbing parts for my RV. We drove all over town looking for a hardware
store. We finally stopped at a small CO-OP for directions and were told
that both hardware stores had gone out of business since Walmart opened.

There may have been other reasons besides Walmart that both hardware
stores failed, but it seems awful coincidental.

We ended up buying some fuel hose and clamps from Autozone for a temporary
fix.

Brian Elfert
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" writes:

I'd sure have to understand more about this decision to close a brand new
Wal Mart. This is an anomoly in the world of Wal Mart. There certainly had
to be factors surrounding the decision to close this particular store that
you left out, either because you're not aware of them or you are trying to
skew a point by limiting the "facts" to an abreviated list of occurances.

It is not at unusual for Walmart to close an existing Walmart store and
open a brand new Supercenter a few miles away. In some cases, they can't
get approval to renovate an existing store into a Supercenter so they just
close it and build new elsewhere.

I personally know two locations where Walmart built a new Supercenter
within one block of an old store.

I read somewhere that Walmart has around 30 million square feet of empty
buildings they are trying to market. I'm sure the majority are old stores
replaced by new Supercenters. I've personally never heard or read of any
Walmart that closed without being replaced except a store in Canada that
formed a union.

I don't see a big market for closed Walmarts since not too many stores
are looking for a 75,000 square foot building.

Brian Elfert
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message
"Mike Marlow" writes:

I'd sure have to understand more about this decision to close a brand new
Wal Mart. This is an anomoly in the world of Wal Mart. There certainly

had
to be factors surrounding the decision to close this particular store

that
you left out, either because you're not aware of them or you are trying

skew a point by limiting the "facts" to an abreviated list of occurances.

It is not at unusual for Walmart to close an existing Walmart store and
open a brand new Supercenter a few miles away. In some cases, they can't
get approval to renovate an existing store into a Supercenter so they just
close it and build new elsewhere.

Correct. That's the point I was trying to steer the other poster to.
Growth is one thing but to posture so as to make that growth look like
abandonment is something entirely different. At one time Wal Mart's store
model was that of a discount store. Today it is that of a Super Center -
because the supercenter model has been hugely successful. This is a natural
evolution of a successful venture and far from the abandonment that the
other poster implied.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
[brevitized]

As in the case of many locations, some small businesses do fold when a big
store moves in. They typically don't have the ability to compete with
anyone, let alone Wal Mart, because they only existed based on a
stranglehold they had on the area prior to Wal Mart coming along. [snip]

I know of a few examples in this area where hard working families
slugged it out to have a few quality stores which serviced the
community quite well. Many plowed a lot back into the community.
Many did a lot of work through service clubs. The families did well
because they filled a need.
One of them would drive an hour to another town and back every other
morning at 4 AM so that his customers could have a fresher banana.
Sometimes, on his way back, he'd stuff a few bananas in the mailbox of
some customers who he felt should stay in that day because the weather
sucked.
Meanwhile, his own kids were shopping at the huge K-Mart
SuperMegaGinormous Centre across the river. It ain't fair and it ain't
right.

Very few give a fark about values any more.

*cues some vinyl LP*

"Soon the pines will be falling everywhere
Village children fight each other for a share
And the 6:09 goes roaring past the creek
Deacon Lee prepares his sermon for next week

I saw grandma yesterday down at the store
Well she's really going fine for eighty four
Well she asked me if sometime I'd fix her barn
Poor old girl she needs a hand to run the farm

And it's good old country comfort in my bones
Just the sweetest sound my ears have ever known
Just an old-fashioned feeling fully-grown
Country comfort's in a truck that's going home

Down at the well they've got a new machine
The foreman says it cuts man-power by fifteen
Yeah but that ain't natural well so old Clay would say
You see he's a horse-drawn man until his dying day

Now the old fat goose is flying cross the sticks
The hedgehog's done in clay between the bricks
And the rocking chair's creaking on the porch
Across the valley moves the herdsman with his torch"

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm not sure that means anything. In the Chicago suburban
area, going to a store in a nearby suburb can easily be a
half hour drive. Gurnee is a suburb of Chicago. But it's
also about 40 miles north.

And Wal Marts have closed after just a few years when they
felt the store volume wasn't sufficient. Unfortunately the
small businesses that closed don't generally come right back.

wrote:

Where do you see Wal Mart and Home Depot pull out of town after they
have
"decimated" them?

Bixby is a suburb of Tulsa. It looks like Home Depot still has eight
stores in the Tulsa area.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 18:41:01 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

So what you're saying is that Wal Mart or Home Depot moved into Bixby, drove
out all of the mom-n-pop businesses (which has been demonstrated to be a
falisy, but we'll assume it for the sake of the discussion), and then having
successfully closed down all of these salt of the earth businesses, pulled
out of Bixby themselves?

I still think it's amazing how many people completely misunderstand
capitalism. Walmart and HD do not drive *ANYONE* out of business. If
anything, it's the CUSTOMERS who choose, of their own free will, to
shop at Walmart and HD, that do it. Walmart and HD don't herd
customers at gunpoint into their stores, they simply offer lower
prices, because of their size and buying power, and people make the
CHOICE to shop there. So anyone who claims that Walmart and HD drive
anyone out of business is a bald-faced liar.

And if they moved out of Bixby, it's likely they couldn't make enough
money to make a profit, what do you expect them to do? They leave and
anyone else who wants to start a business again is welcome to.

It's called competition. It's the cornerstone of the economic system
of capitalism.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5 Dec 2006 15:58:02 -0800, "Lou" wrote:

Falisy my ass. I see it happen quite a bit.

Then please show us just *ONE* documented example of HD or Walmart
forcing customers to shop in their stores. Just one. Put up or stick
a sock in it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 17:12:15 -0800, Mike 'Flyin'8'
wrote:

-It is a fact that Wal Mart moved into Bixby.

Gotcha.

-It is a fact that shortly there after, a large number of the small
privately owned retailers (Mom and Pop shops if you will) located in
and near the town closed up shop and ceased to operate as a business
entity.

Because their customers chose, of thier own free will, to shop
somewhere else. The mom & pop stores closed because they couldn't
compete. Competition is the cornerstone of capitalism.

-It is a fact, that less than 5 years after opening, Wal Mart pulled
up stakes and left.

Likely because they weren't making a profit. Are you saying that the
mom & pop stores can't re-open now that they can compete again?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

So what you're saying is that Wal Mart or Home Depot moved into Bixby, drove
out all of the mom-n-pop businesses (which has been demonstrated to be a
falisy, but we'll assume it for the sake of the discussion), and then having
successfully closed down all of these salt of the earth businesses, pulled
out of Bixby themselves?

I still think it's amazing how many people completely misunderstand
capitalism. Walmart and HD do not drive *ANYONE* out of business. If
anything, it's the CUSTOMERS who choose, of their own free will, to
shop at Walmart and HD, that do it. Walmart and HD don't herd
customers at gunpoint into their stores, they simply offer lower
prices, because of their size and buying power, and people make the
CHOICE to shop there. So anyone who claims that Walmart and HD drive
anyone out of business is a bald-faced liar.

Says the Wal-Mart apologist. Kind of hard to compete with an operation
that is several orders of magnitude larger than yours unless you can find
some way other than price to differentiate yourself, and that is
difficult with mass-market consumer goods.

And if they moved out of Bixby, it's likely they couldn't make enough
money to make a profit, what do you expect them to do? They leave and
anyone else who wants to start a business again is welcome to.

It's called competition. It's the cornerstone of the economic system of
capitalism.

Which system in its unfettered state proved to be an unmitigated disaster
hence the Sherman Antitrust Act and other legislation.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 20:23:31 +0000, Brian Henderson wrote:

Says the Wal-Mart apologist. Kind of hard to compete with an operation
that is several orders of magnitude larger than yours unless you can find
some way other than price to differentiate yourself, and that is
difficult with mass-market consumer goods.

Maybe we need federal regulation on the price of the toilet paper and power
drills?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Better service is certainly one way that small operations can compete with the
big box stores. Some small businesses understand that, some don't -- and it's
the latter, IME, that can't survive competition with the big boxes.

And if they moved out of Bixby, it's likely they couldn't make enough
money to make a profit, what do you expect them to do? They leave and
anyone else who wants to start a business again is welcome to.

It's called competition. It's the cornerstone of the economic system of
capitalism.

Which system in its unfettered state proved to be an unmitigated disaster
hence the Sherman Antitrust Act and other legislation.

Nonsense -- the Sherman Antitrust Act bans ANTIcompetitive business practices.
It was passed specifically to put an end to businesses conspiring to stifle
competition.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 17:10:17 -0500, Locutus wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 20:23:31 +0000, Brian Henderson wrote:

Says the Wal-Mart apologist. Kind of hard to compete with an operation
that is several orders of magnitude larger than yours unless you can find
some way other than price to differentiate yourself, and that is
difficult with mass-market consumer goods.

Maybe we need federal regulation on the price of the toilet paper and power
drills?

Or maybe we just need to break up Wal-Mart.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Posted to rec.woodworking

I lived there about 20 years ago... It was not even near 16-18k when
WalMart came and abruptly left. You are trying to teach the wrong
person about Bixby from the era of Wal Mart.

Home Depot Ha-Ha Al Bundy Home Repair 4 October 6th 06 05:17 AM
FREE Home Depot Home Improvement How-To-Guide [email protected] Home Repair 3 June 2nd 06 11:06 PM
home depot SeaKan Home Repair 123 December 18th 05 05:05 PM
navy ad (cmon maroons) paul e Home Repair 0 June 15th 05 11:20 AM
Home Depot at home services, any good reports? [email protected] Home Repair 8 January 20th 05 07:27 PM