Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Elfert Brian Elfert is offline

Default Home Depot - what a bunch of maroons

"Mike Marlow" writes:

I'd sure have to understand more about this decision to close a brand new
Wal Mart. This is an anomoly in the world of Wal Mart. There certainly had
to be factors surrounding the decision to close this particular store that
you left out, either because you're not aware of them or you are trying to
skew a point by limiting the "facts" to an abreviated list of occurances.

It is not at unusual for Walmart to close an existing Walmart store and
open a brand new Supercenter a few miles away. In some cases, they can't
get approval to renovate an existing store into a Supercenter so they just
close it and build new elsewhere.

I personally know two locations where Walmart built a new Supercenter
within one block of an old store.

I read somewhere that Walmart has around 30 million square feet of empty
buildings they are trying to market. I'm sure the majority are old stores
replaced by new Supercenters. I've personally never heard or read of any
Walmart that closed without being replaced except a store in Canada that
formed a union.

I don't see a big market for closed Walmarts since not too many stores
are looking for a 75,000 square foot building.

Brian Elfert