Posted to alt.home.repair
SeaKan

Default home depot

i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet peeves about
hd? anything in particular?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Boatright

"SeaKan" wrote in message
i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet peeves
about hd? anything in particular?

Most of my peeves come when I either can't find an associate, which is
usually a staffing issue, or when I do find one and s/he doesn't know enough
about the product(s) or have enough how-to knowledge to help me...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

SeaKan wrote:
i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet
peeves about hd? anything in particular?

Ditto Boatright's complaint plus aisles filled with "stuff".

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

SeaKan wrote:
i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet peeves
about hd? anything in particular?

I would like to see lines of higher quality products along with consumer
information explaining why they are better and more expensive.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"SeaKan" wrote in message
i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet peeves
about hd? anything in particular?

I hate it when personnel finish helping a customer, and then don't look
around to see if there might be another customer who needs assistance. Make
eye contact or ask. Don't just wander away like a mental patient who's
largely sedated.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"SeaKan" wrote in message
i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet peeves
about hd? anything in particular?

Many of the "associates" are not customer oriented.

Just one example. I needed a sheet of plywood cut and the "associate"
complained that he had other work to do. THIS IS HIS JOB to cut sheet
goods.

Some "associates" are knowledgeable, but others can't tell you where the
restrooms are.

The merchandise is strictly mass market goods. If you want a better quality,
off to the local stores. I'd never buy another screw at HD as they are
strictly junk compared to what I get at many other places. HD is good for
lightbulbs, some tools, and a few brand name commodity items, but not a
consideration for appliances (better service and pricing locally) or a
decent grade of lumber. I bought my Pella patio door at the dealer right
cross from HD as the HD store only sold a cheap version, not the better
grade.

BTW, why do stores use the term "associate" when you are really a retail
clerk? There is no shame in that and I imaging the pay is about the same.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PanHandler

"SeaKan" wrote in message
i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet peeves
about hd? anything in particular?

Just associates.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Haar

On 2005/12/10 8:08 AM, "SeaKan" wrote:

i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet peeves about
hd? anything in particular?

Unlike some previous posters, I have had very little problem getting help in
our local HD. There are knowledgeable staff in the tool/hardware/plumbing
areas that I frequent.

My complaint is that the stock of repair/replacement parts and accessories
is limited and only for whatever line they are currently pushing. I can buy
something like a faucet or a door lock and a year later, all the related
items are off the shelves.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Kyle Boatright ) said...

"SeaKan" wrote in message
i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet peeves
about hd? anything in particular?

Most of my peeves come when I either can't find an associate, which is
usually a staffing issue,

I find that one often enough. If I need the associate to get something
from an upper shelf, I find that if I start to move one of those stairs
on wheels, someone usually comes pretty quickly! ;-)

or when I do find one and s/he doesn't know enough
about the product(s) or have enough how-to knowledge to help me...

While I have run into associates who are lacking in the product knowledge
area (I recently needed a cut piece of 14/2 BX cable -- when I asked for
3 metres of 14/2 BX he responded, "BX?" -- not a good sign!), my bigger
peeve is quite the opposite.

I usually just need someone to get something from an upper shelf (see
my solution above!). Since HD prides itself in hiring associates with
trade knowledge, every idiot who can't spend an hour reading a book or
looking on web pages or in Usenet have to monopolize associates' time
with questions that are answered in books usually on display within a
few yards of where they are asking the questions.

I just need a ladder-climber, sometimes one with a little strength.

But I have to wait for Mr. Idiot to ask his 423 questions to the
associate (if I'm lucky -- usually there are five Mr. Idiots with just
as many questions ahead of me!).

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
- Napoleon

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"SeaKan" wrote in message
i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet peeves
about hd? anything in particular?

1) Are you experienced with any kind of home repair at all? Gardening?
Anything? If not, then all you can really do is tell people where things
are, right?

2) Arrive at work 15-30 minutes early, and tell your boss to leave you alone
while you slowly wander the store, getting to know where things are. There's
nothing more annoying than asking an associate where to find a product, only
to have the associate say "I think it's aisle 14 - let's look", and take you
for a walk. I don't need to take a walk with someone else who doesn't know
where something is. I can walk alone, and probably faster.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark D

One thing I hate about the HD we have in our town, is once you finally
succeed in finding what you are looking for, then try to check out, you
can't get out of the place.

There's numerous checkout lanes, with only 1 staffed. It's getting like
that everywhere though unfortunately. When a company/business looks to
cut overhead costs, and increase its profits, it seems it always points
its finger to the employees. Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"SeaKan" wrote in message
i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet peeves

about
hd? anything in particular?

What do you mean by Associate ? outside vendor? I would agree with most
everything I've read ( except the one person that never has a problem ) I
would add NO checkers I have left many full carts and walked out. I go to
Lowes first they have checkers less than 1/4 Mile apart. The one that put me
over the edge Special order God help you if you do, I never seen something
more screwed up in my life. Brings the saying "You got my Money, what
happened to my service?" HOME DEPOT the store you love to hate.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

The other day I was looking a light bulbs, the guy dropped a box and I
pulled out a bulb off a display that was broke, He would not respond to
my stating this and when I found A 4 pack of floodlights misspriced he
ignored me. Oh well we all have bad days it happens everywhere..

Get some doughnuts for the Free coffee.

Posted to alt.home.repair
twfsa

H D is very limited on what they have to offer on the shelve, very poor
selection.

Tom

"SeaKan" wrote in message
i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet peeves
about hd? anything in particular?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Patrick Cleburne

"SeaKan" wrote in message
i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet peeves
about hd? anything in particular?

Poorly educated associates who don't capitalize...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

"Mark D" wrote in message
One thing I hate about the HD we have in our town, is once you finally
succeed in finding what you are looking for, then try to check out, you
can't get out of the place.

There's numerous checkout lanes, with only 1 staffed. It's getting like
that everywhere though unfortunately.

Was recently in Mesa, AZ. Went to two different HDs and only one checkout
lane staffed at each. Several customers just left their carts and walked
out the door. I asked a manager why and he said they can't get people to
come work for them. He said they even hit the malls to recruit people but
they either don't show up or can't pass the drug test when they do. At one,
I figured out that the one checker they had was called out of bed on his day
off to come in at the last minute because someone didn't show up for work,
from what he was saying to other associates.
I think by the way, that the word "associates" was started by WalMart to
make their employees feel better about working for so little money. Kind of
like giving someone a title rather than a raise.
Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
John

Why are pnuematic nailers in with the nails and not the power tools/air
compressors?
I know, a minor point. I'd say not being to find an associate when needed.
I know you have work to do and having worked in retail it is very difficult
to do your work once the store is open.
Perhaps one associate should have an orange jacket and that would be the
person you ask for assistance. The other asssicate(s) in the area may then
get their work done, or at least more of it.
Or, they'll need to hire an overnight crew to do the required work while the
store is closed and allow the retail hour associates to assist customers.
We did this in 24-hour grocery stores and it worked very well for the price
of the overnight premium.

--
John

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"SeaKan" wrote in message
i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet peeves

about
hd? anything in particular?

Your bold and brave to be asking such a question

Ever looked at the grocery carts? Fine for groceries. Put a 8 foot 2by
across one and push it around.
Checker locations are not set up for anything of length.

Just how hard would be to have a cart that locks it's wheels? Ever tried to
load drywall by yourself?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Boettcher

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 08:08:54 -0500, "SeaKan"
wrote:

i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet peeves about
hd? anything in particular?

My pet peeve has been eliminated. Your empoloyer just installed self
check out lanes in the HD nearest to me. Halleluiah! Nobody else
seems to want to use them. I'm in and out in a flash.
Posted to alt.home.repair
rider89

it always amazes me when companies talk about how they can't hire people.
if you pay decent wages, you'll get people. simple economics.
to hear them tell it, you'd think they were required by law to limit wages.

bill

"Tom" wrote in message

Was recently in Mesa, AZ. Went to two different HDs and only one checkout
lane staffed at each. Several customers just left their carts and walked
out the door. I asked a manager why and he said they can't get people to
come work for them. He said they even hit the malls to recruit people but
they either don't show up or can't pass the drug test when they do.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robertm

"rider89" wrote in message
et...
it always amazes me when companies talk about how they can't hire people.
if you pay decent wages, you'll get people. simple economics.
to hear them tell it, you'd think they were required by law to limit
wages.

bill

After 40 years in the corporate world it amazes me how employers want
honest workers who will lie only for the corporation, minimum wage workers
capable of making management decisions, and so it goes. Such is the way of
American business.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
My pet peeve has been eliminated. Your empoloyer just installed self
check out lanes in the HD nearest to me. Halleluiah! Nobody else
seems to want to use them. I'm in and out in a flash.

I'll use them as soon as they give me a discount for doing the work of the
cashier.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan C

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 16:41:46 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
My pet peeve has been eliminated. Your empoloyer just installed self
check out lanes in the HD nearest to me. Halleluiah! Nobody else
seems to want to use them. I'm in and out in a flash.

I'll use them as soon as they give me a discount for doing the work of the
cashier.

Right. Keep waiting in line, then.

Linux Registered User #327951

Posted to alt.home.repair
Wes Stewart

wrote:

i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet peeves about
hd? anything in particular?

How long do you have?

Gripes:

1. Self checkout lines. If I wanted a job as a cashier, I'd put in
an application.

2. Too few open checkout lanes. I've left a full shopping cart and
walked out more than once.

3. Aisles that are blocked off during shopping hours. Do your
restocking when the store is closed. (Although, maybe you're
restocking the stuff left in shopping carts by disgruntled customers)

4. Employees who complain about working conditions or company policy
to customers. If you don't like it there, there is a Lowes a block
away.

5. Lack of "associates" in the department that I'm needing help with.
I and six other folks waited in the electrical department for wire
cutting one day. I went to the service desk twice asking for someone
to help. Then I remembered there is a Lowes a block away.

6. Lack of follow up support. I just bought an LG washer and drier
($1600). The door on the washer squeaks and rattles during the spin
cycle. I called HD and was asked, "Did you adjust the door?" I
wanted to say, "Hell no, if I wanted to work on a washing machine I
would have kept the old one." I was told to call LG's 800 number.
Guy says (in a foreign accent of some sort), "Did you adjust the
door?" I suspect that if I would reply "yes" they would say I voided
the warrenty. I -may- get service next Wednesday.

(I know I was asking for this by buying appliances at HD. I usually
use local stores but they don't have LG and HD was having a hell of a
sale.)

7. **** quality lumber. When I need firewood there's a Mexican guy
on the street corner selling Mesquite a lot cheaper.

8. I want to buy nails and screws by the pound or each. I don't need
a box or blister pack.

Pluses:

1) They sponsor Tony Stewart.

Wes Stewart

Posted to alt.home.repair

Calvin Henry-Cotnam wrote:

... when I asked for 3 metres of 14/2 BX he responded, "BX?"

Down here they'd say "3 meters?"

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair
John

wrote in message
Calvin Henry-Cotnam wrote:

... when I asked for 3 metres of 14/2 BX he responded, "BX?"

Down here they'd say "3 meters?"

Nick

Don't you mean tres metros?

: )

--
John

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 09:09:10 -0700, "SQLit" wrote:

"SeaKan" wrote in message
i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet peeves

about
hd? anything in particular?

Your bold and brave to be asking such a question

Ever looked at the grocery carts? Fine for groceries. Put a 8 foot 2by
across one and push it around.

I've had to push one of those carts with long items in it. It wasn't
as easy as it should be?

Also, how much weight would they handle? What if I wanted to buy 400
pounds of quick-drying concrete?

Checker locations are not set up for anything of length.

Just how hard would be to have a cart that locks it's wheels? Ever tried to
load drywall by yourself?

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:05:21 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"SeaKan" wrote in message
i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet peeves
about hd? anything in particular?

Many of the "associates" are not customer oriented.

Just one example. I needed a sheet of plywood cut and the "associate"
complained that he had other work to do. THIS IS HIS JOB to cut sheet
goods.

Some "associates" are knowledgeable, but others can't tell you where the
restrooms are.

I often prefer the local hardware store when I want someone who knows
about hardware.

The merchandise is strictly mass market goods. If you want a better quality,
off to the local stores. I'd never buy another screw at HD as they are
strictly junk compared to what I get at many other places. HD is good for
lightbulbs, some tools, and a few brand name commodity items, but not a
consideration for appliances (better service and pricing locally) or a
decent grade of lumber. I bought my Pella patio door at the dealer right
cross from HD as the HD store only sold a cheap version, not the better
grade.

BTW, why do stores use the term "associate" when you are really a retail
clerk? There is no shame in that and I imaging the pay is about the same.

Wal-Mart calls their clerks "associates" too. I was in the store one
morning, when they were having a meeting. It sounded like a cult.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy

On 12/10/05 11:13 am Frank Boettcher tossed the following ingredients
into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet peeves about
hd? anything in particular?

My pet peeve has been eliminated. Your empoloyer just installed self
check out lanes in the HD nearest to me. Halleluiah! Nobody else
seems to want to use them. I'm in and out in a flash.

The DIY checkouts (whether at HD or elsewhere) are in fact one of my pet
peeves: if the item won't scan, there's no way for me to punch in the
UPC. And when I've ripped the UPC code label off a piece of lumber
because I can't get the lumber+label into the scanner's line of sight,
the stupid high-tech-but-brain-dead device keeps telling me to "Place
the item in the bag", as though the only thing anybpody is going to buy
is packages of nails.

Our two closest HD stores have pretty much eliminated checkers and now
rely on DIY checkouts. But fortunately there is a Lowe's much closer,
and a Menard's, and an old-fashioned lumber yard/sawmill.

I also object to DIY checkouts because they are designed to put even
more people out of work. Checkout jobs aren't something that can be
exported to India or Mexico or China, so instead we'll replace them by
machines made in India or Mexico or China.

Decades ago they told us that automation and computerization would mean
a greatly reduced working week, but what has happened is that maybe the
average working week has declined, but with people in "third-world"
countries working well over 40 hrs a week and many of the
formerly-employed in the West working ZERO hours a week. Aren't averages
wonderful?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie Bress

wrote:

i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet peeves
about
hd? anything in particular?

My pet peeve has been eliminated. Your empoloyer just installed self
check out lanes in the HD nearest to me. Halleluiah! Nobody else
seems to want to use them. I'm in and out in a flash.

Interesting. We just had a new HD open last week. When I went to check out,
all the self checkouts had lines and the closest check out with a human
operator had no customers.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

SeaKan wrote:

i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet peeves about
hd? anything in particular?

I hate it when there are no cashiers (just the automated things).

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Sacramento Dave wrote:

"SeaKan" wrote in message

i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet peeves

about

hd? anything in particular?

What do you mean by Associate ? outside vendor? I would agree with most
everything I've read ( except the one person that never has a problem ) I
would add NO checkers I have left many full carts and walked out. I go to
Lowes first they have checkers less than 1/4 Mile apart. The one that put me
over the edge Special order God help you if you do, I never seen something
more screwed up in my life. Brings the saying "You got my Money, what
happened to my service?" HOME DEPOT the store you love to hate.

That reminds me of when I sought to special order a wall switch they
didn't have in stock. I was expecting maybe $15, but the price I was
quoted was $75.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

m Ransley wrote:

The other day I was looking a light bulbs, the guy dropped a box and I
pulled out a bulb off a display that was broke, He would not respond to
my stating this and when I found A 4 pack of floodlights misspriced he
ignored me. Oh well we all have bad days it happens everywhere..

Get some doughnuts for the Free coffee.

Yours has free coffee?

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Dan C wrote:

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 16:41:46 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

My pet peeve has been eliminated. Your empoloyer just installed self
check out lanes in the HD nearest to me. Halleluiah! Nobody else
seems to want to use them. I'm in and out in a flash.

I'll use them as soon as they give me a discount for doing the work of the
cashier.

Right. Keep waiting in line, then.

It's easier to just go to Lowe's. They're almost right across the street.

Posted to alt.home.repair
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

I'll have to follow up with the common theme here, finding any
associate (let alone one in your department of interest) is next to
impossible. It's one thing when you can't find someone to ask a
question, but it's even worse when you NEED an associate in order to
make your purchase, in my case flooring. This flooring was also a
special order, something I'll NEVER do at Home Depot again. I ordered
mu flooring in early November..... still waiting. Lowes is much better
in all the complaints above, we've been driving the extra 10 minutes to
Lowes instead. While Home Depot does have cheaper prices, Lowes has
better selection of goods and much better help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Calvin Henry-Cotnam wrote:

I just need a ladder-climber, sometimes one with a little strength.

But I have to wait for Mr. Idiot to ask his 423 questions to the
associate (if I'm lucky -- usually there are five Mr. Idiots with just
as many questions ahead of me!).

Been there, done that....

But, sometimes you get lucky and the questioner is a yummy mummy and you
can kill time by running some of your pet tool using fantasies in your
"minds eye" while you're watching and listening. G

Happy Holidays,

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

grodenhiATgmailDOTcom wrote:

I'll have to follow up with the common theme here, finding any
associate (let alone one in your department of interest) is next to
impossible. It's one thing when you can't find someone to ask a
question, but it's even worse when you NEED an associate in order to
make your purchase, in my case flooring. This flooring was also a
special order, something I'll NEVER do at Home Depot again. I ordered
mu flooring in early November..... still waiting. Lowes is much better
in all the complaints above, we've been driving the extra 10 minutes to
Lowes instead. While Home Depot does have cheaper prices, Lowes has
better selection of goods and much better help.

I'm not convinced HD has lower prices generally. My impression is that
on some things they do, and on others not.

Posted to alt.home.repair
nospambob

Or the character to acknowledge they DON'T know the answer.

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 08:16:12 -0500, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

"SeaKan" wrote in message
i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet peeves
about hd? anything in particular?

Most of my peeves come when I either can't find an associate, which is
usually a staffing issue, or when I do find one and s/he doesn't know enough
about the product(s) or have enough how-to knowledge to help me...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison

SeaKan wrote:
i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet peeves about
hd? anything in particular?

No 14' lumber.

No yellow pine lumber.

Too long to check out.

Not a good selection of materials.

Terrible corporate credit card system.

Way too hard to discount large orders, or to get the same
discount with follow up purchases.

No support for contractors.

No real delivery except to curb.

No discounts for contractors.

Terrible special order system.

Terrible delivery times for special orders.

Terrible tracking of special orders.

Associates are NOT knowledgable about products.

No loaders to help load.

Low paid, low skilled installers of products.

Overpriced materials.

No bulk items.

Shall I go on...?

--

[...]