Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Your opinion, please.

I have come to own (I know not how) a Yankee push drill about 18" long
(I'm eyeballing it as it lays on my desk).

It is stamped:

Yankee No 130A
North Bros. Mfg. Co.
Phila, PA USA
Pat. Dec. 11 23
Made in United States
Of America

The handle is showing some wear and giving evidence of being (perhaps)
mahogany stain under varnish. Possibly actually mahogany.

It is in smooth working order but only has one bit, stamped:

Philips #2
Pat. 2046887

Is this worth anything in particular or is it simply dumpster food?

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 04:02:37 -0500, Bill in Detroit
wrote:

I have come to own (I know not how) a Yankee push drill about 18" long
(I'm eyeballing it as it lays on my desk).

It is stamped:

Yankee No 130A
North Bros. Mfg. Co.
Phila, PA USA
Pat. Dec. 11 23
Made in United States
Of America

The handle is showing some wear and giving evidence of being (perhaps)
mahogany stain under varnish. Possibly actually mahogany.

It is in smooth working order but only has one bit, stamped:

Philips #2
Pat. 2046887

Is this worth anything in particular or is it simply dumpster food?

Bill

Bill- That is a Yankee Screwdriver I believe. Back in the 70's we
thought it was the greatest tool around (you know, hanging doors, etc)
Depending on its age, and the rarity of your particular model/style it
could be worth anywhere from $25 - $100's.
Mine (seldom used now) has a painted, purple handle. I have never seen
one that is mahogany. However, that could be a special model or
possibly someone custom-made the handle.

I'd browse through E-bay and see if you can find another for ref.

Good Luck,
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Consider that they are still made (in the size you have) and are priced in
the $50.00 range, they have virtually no collector value. If you don't want
to use it, give it to somebody that will.

"Joe Bemier" wrote in message

Bill- That is a Yankee Screwdriver I believe. Back in the 70's we
thought it was the greatest tool around (you know, hanging doors, etc)
Depending on its age, and the rarity of your particular model/style it
could be worth anywhere from $25 - $100's.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 18, 4:02 am, Bill in Detroit wrote:
I have come to own (I know not how) a Yankee push drill about 18" long
(I'm eyeballing it as it lays on my desk).

It is stamped:

Yankee No 130A
North Bros. Mfg. Co.
Phila, PA USA
Pat. Dec. 11 23
Made in United States
Of America

The handle is showing some wear and giving evidence of being (perhaps)
mahogany stain under varnish. Possibly actually mahogany.

It is in smooth working order but only has one bit, stamped:

Philips #2
Pat. 2046887

Is this worth anything in particular or is it simply dumpster food?

Dumpster? A working tool? At the very least it's a gift or a garage
sale item.

In the mid 80's, the Yankee was the preferred tool of many union lock
installers in NYC. Cordless drivers were available, but it was
interesting to see these guys hanging on to the manual tool. I'd asked
a couple why they didn't switch over - the answer was that they almost
never cammed out the screw and they were fast.

The wood handle is just an older model. They're common, so no real
collector value unless it's in mint in the original box, and even then
the value isn't anything worth mentioning. You can still get bits for
them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 04:02:37 -0500, Bill in Detroit wrote:

I have come to own (I know not how) a Yankee push drill about 18" long
(I'm eyeballing it as it lays on my desk).

It is stamped:

Yankee No 130A
North Bros. Mfg. Co.
Phila, PA USA
Pat. Dec. 11 23
Made in United States
Of America

The handle is showing some wear and giving evidence of being (perhaps)
mahogany stain under varnish. Possibly actually mahogany.

It is in smooth working order but only has one bit, stamped:

Philips #2
Pat. 2046887

Is this worth anything in particular or is it simply dumpster food?

FWIW, a new 130B goes for about 75 bucks in the UK. The Yankee is pretty
much nonexistent in the US market these days but the Europeans like it
enough that the Germans are making a Yankee clone that takes 1/4" hex
shank bits.

--
X:\Newsreaders\sig.txt

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill in Detroit wrote:

I have come to own (I know not how) a Yankee push drill about 18" long
(I'm eyeballing it as it lays on my desk).

It is in smooth working order but only has one bit, stamped:

Philips #2
Pat. 2046887

Actually, what you have is a Yankee screwdriver, not a drill. You can still
get "bits" for it IIRC. I've got two and use them now and then.

There are push drills made on the same principle. IMNSHO, Goodell & Pratt
made the best one. I use one frequently for screw starter holes.

As far as value, $20-$50 depending on age and condition. So use it instead -
you may like it.

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill in Detroit wrote:

Is this worth anything in particular or is it simply dumpster food?

Bill

Okay ... thanks guys. I'm not "a tool guy" so I don't keep up with that
stuff. I'm cleaning out my toolboxes*, etc. and don't want to keep
anything I am reasonably certain I won't be using ... and this
screwdriver is definitely pushing the envelope on that score.

Bill

* I'm stinking sick and tired of spending more time looking for a tool
than using it. I've been trying to find (2) 7/8" combination wrenches
off and on for almost two weeks. It's stupid just to keep buying stuff
that I KNOW I OWN.

On analyzing the problem, I find that most of my clutter is caused by
"maybe someday" tools. Rusty gear pullers. The odd ignition wrench from
a kit my Dad threw away years ago. A pruning saw that only needs to have
the rust knocked off it and the handle re-finished to be good as new.
Hmmm ... "maybe someday" I'll get lost in the woods and that saw will
just so happen to be in my back pocket and will save my life by helping
me build a shelter and gather fuel for a fire ... maybe even help me
dress out a rabbit I might catch in a snare.

Bzzzzt! Reality check. Ain't no way, Jack. I love my Dad but I can't
keep every tool he ever discarded. And I studiously avoid doing serious
automotive work these days. I simply have NO interest in it. So I don't
need three sets of gear pullers and a tie-rod fork tool.

Clutter has been killing me for a very long time. Now I'm returning the
favor.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey--Power to you!

I have had the same revelation about how clutter saps my working time. I
have tried to find places for everything I wanted/needed and put them in
their place.

I still have to have my daily pickup routine--each time I go into the shop,
I pick up and put away 10 items. Amazing how fast that cuts the clutter.

And yes, shop time is much more enjoyable when I can go to a spot and find
(most of the time) the tool that I need.

And--usually there is someone who is grateful to get the old tools. Moved a
fair amount by ebay, and some through the old tools message board.

Final realization--if I discard a tool because I don't think I will use it,
and later have to buy another one, a: it's just rent I pay on having an
uncluttered shop. b: I probably will have a better tool than the one I
discarded.

Enjoy your orderly shop!

Bill in Detroit wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Old guy wrote:

Final realization--if I discard a tool because I don't think I will use it,
and later have to buy another one, a: it's just rent I pay on having an
uncluttered shop. b: I probably will have a better tool than the one I
discarded.

Enjoy your orderly shop!

Thank you.

I've been walking up to my possessions and asking myself "What is this
doing in my life?"

If I don't get a good answer, I pitch it.

It's amazing how much cruft I've collected, finally disposed of and am
now living easily without. And I am no where near done.

Bill

Sit Back, Relax, and Get Paid for Your Opinion!! Info Home Repair 0 July 30th 06 04:53 PM
Opinion on snake repellents TCB er ah TCC Taking Care of Carol Home Repair 10 May 13th 06 08:58 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Basement Buddy backup sump pump opinion Dave Home Repair 11 May 24th 04 09:44 PM