Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Bemier Joe Bemier is offline

Default Your opinion, please.

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 04:02:37 -0500, Bill in Detroit
wrote:

I have come to own (I know not how) a Yankee push drill about 18" long
(I'm eyeballing it as it lays on my desk).

It is stamped:

Yankee No 130A
North Bros. Mfg. Co.
Phila, PA USA
Pat. Dec. 11 23
Made in United States
Of America

The handle is showing some wear and giving evidence of being (perhaps)
mahogany stain under varnish. Possibly actually mahogany.

It is in smooth working order but only has one bit, stamped:

Philips #2
Pat. 2046887

Is this worth anything in particular or is it simply dumpster food?

Bill

Bill- That is a Yankee Screwdriver I believe. Back in the 70's we
thought it was the greatest tool around (you know, hanging doors, etc)
Depending on its age, and the rarity of your particular model/style it
could be worth anywhere from $25 - $100's.
Mine (seldom used now) has a painted, purple handle. I have never seen
one that is mahogany. However, that could be a special model or
possibly someone custom-made the handle.

I'd browse through E-bay and see if you can find another for ref.

Good Luck,