Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Your opinion, please.

On Nov 18, 4:02 am, Bill in Detroit wrote:
I have come to own (I know not how) a Yankee push drill about 18" long
(I'm eyeballing it as it lays on my desk).

It is stamped:

Yankee No 130A
North Bros. Mfg. Co.
Phila, PA USA
Pat. Dec. 11 23
Made in United States
Of America

The handle is showing some wear and giving evidence of being (perhaps)
mahogany stain under varnish. Possibly actually mahogany.

It is in smooth working order but only has one bit, stamped:

Philips #2
Pat. 2046887

Is this worth anything in particular or is it simply dumpster food?

Dumpster? A working tool? At the very least it's a gift or a garage
sale item.

In the mid 80's, the Yankee was the preferred tool of many union lock
installers in NYC. Cordless drivers were available, but it was
interesting to see these guys hanging on to the manual tool. I'd asked
a couple why they didn't switch over - the answer was that they almost
never cammed out the screw and they were fast.

The wood handle is just an older model. They're common, so no real
collector value unless it's in mint in the original box, and even then
the value isn't anything worth mentioning. You can still get bits for
them.