Posted to alt.home.repair
TCB er ah TCC Taking Care of Carol

Default Opinion on snake repellents

Two days ago two of my miniature dachshunds were bitten several times
by a huge rattler.......things were touch and go for awhile but
todsay we brought both dogs home from the vet and they are doing fine.
We have a large population of snakes (rattlers, cotton mouths and
copperheads) in this area, but so far its only been rattlers that have
come uip and around the house. They seem to like this land as its
hot, sandy, hardwoods and pines, lots of birds, squirrels etc and out
in the country........there is no trash piles or other junk arund to
attract them, and all things normally storewed outside is moved around
a lot, or stored off the ground........Its just a heaven for
snakes......with environment and location.

So after quite an expensive bill and not having any more ideas to keep
snakes at bay, the wife was wanting to try this product called snake
away.........I am kind of skeptical. Anyone have any experience
withthis product or other snake repellents? I know for a fact the old
sulphur powder repellent did not work at all.
Thanks

"The original frugal ponder.."Since my statements are
given freely, take em or leave em, I am entitled to
my opinion none the less. My opinion and $1 is still
only worth $1.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/natres/06501.html

I dont think there is anything you can put down to repel
snakes...mothballs....other things I have heard...just dont work.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

The cowboys used to place a hair rope (lariat) around their bed
roll. The belief was/is that a snake will not cross over a hair
rope.

In south Texas many people used to keep Indigo snakes as they kill
only snakes and the belief was/is they keep other snakes away.

Supposedly pigs and turkeys are good at killing and eating snakes.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"TCB er ah TCC Taking Care of Carol" wrote in
message ...
[...]

I will take the cash and do as well of a job getting rid of buzzers.

Rattlers do not like light, they do not like noise. Noise makes it hard for
them to hunt.
I had a client in Carefree AZ that had this problem. I put 500 watt quartz
lights by all of the doors, pointing down. Except when the buzzers were
warming themselves on the concrete in the fall the lights eventually had
them move away. His wife would leave the quartz lights on most of the
night. You could walk out at night and the buzzers were at the edge of the
light looking for rodents.

Create a walled area for your pets. Call around locally and see if anyone
has a training facility for dogs. I suggest that you drop the dog off and
not watch. I took a golden in for this training. They used diamond backs
that were defanged. Dog got bit 30 times before he got the message. Was
not a cheap afternoon. Then I got to take him into the vet and get the
bites cleaned so he would not get infected.

Call your local ag office for suggestions. REMEMBER you moved into their
world. Eventually they will pull away from your home proper. They sure as
hell do not understand property lines.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

[...]

Trade your dachshunds for cats.

Cats are about the same size but don't try to bother rattlesnakes. Cats will
also make a significant dent in your rodent population; the snakes will then
look elsewhere for food. (I bet you thought you had snakes just because they
liked you.)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

clipped

Trade your dachshunds for cats.

Cats are about the same size but don't try to bother rattlesnakes. Cats will
also make a significant dent in your rodent population; the snakes will then
look elsewhere for food. (I bet you thought you had snakes just because they
liked you.)

Then you can import some boa constrictors to get rid of the stray cats )
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Greenberg

On Thu, 11 May 2006 16:59:47 -0700, SQLit wrote:

Rattlers do not like light, they do not like noise. Noise makes it hard for
them to hunt.

Snakes can't hear airborne sounds. They have no external ears.

Predators, snakes included, will be attracted to light, if their prey is
attracted to light.

The only reliable way to be rid of predators is to be rid of their prey. You
pretty much have to make the ground bare, so there is no place for the prey,
or the predators, to hide.

--
Art

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

On Fri, 12 May 2006 22:20:12 -0000, Art Greenberg
wrote:

On Thu, 11 May 2006 16:59:47 -0700, SQLit wrote:

Rattlers do not like light, they do not like noise. Noise makes it hard for
them to hunt.

Snakes can't hear airborne sounds. They have no external ears.

Predators, snakes included, will be attracted to light, if their prey is
attracted to light.

The only reliable way to be rid of predators is to be rid of their prey. You
pretty much have to make the ground bare, so there is no place for the prey,
or the predators, to hide.

I see no reason to get rid of non-poisonous snakes. It is beyond me
why so many folks are afraid of snakes. We have large (6 foot) black
snakes in our backyard; they eat rats, mice, moles, and copperheads. I
have seen a product called "Snake Away" sold in the garden department
at the BORG or Lowes. Hawks eat snakes.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Greenberg

On Sat, 13 May 2006 11:29:18 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

I see no reason to get rid of non-poisonous snakes. It is beyond me
why so many folks are afraid of snakes.

I agree. I have a small colection inside my house. Caged. Fascinating animals.

--
Art

Posted to alt.home.repair
bob kater

I've used it on an unknown type of snakes and the snake away seems to work.
wrote:

[...]

Real snake inside water supply pipes [email protected] Home Repair 12 May 6th 06 08:53 AM
plastic piece from snake stuck in tub drain [email protected] Home Repair 1 April 24th 06 01:41 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
sewer snake broke dryer vent pipe?? Chang Kuang Home Repair 14 April 25th 04 05:23 AM
sewer snake broke dryer vent pipe?? Chang Kuang Home Ownership 13 April 25th 04 05:23 AM