Posted to rec.woodworking

Default kevlar gloves with a bandsaw?

i ave a pair of kevlar gloves that are supposedly cut proof. i know you
cant use them on a table saw because if they catch...; but on a band saw
catching doesn't seem like it would be all that dangerous, it would just jam
in the throat plate. Anyone use them?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
i ave a pair of kevlar gloves that are supposedly cut proof. i know you
cant use them on a table saw because if they catch...; but on a band saw
catching doesn't seem like it would be all that dangerous, it would just jam
in the throat plate. Anyone use them?

Not with power tools.

If I have body parts close enough to a blade to think I need those
things, I take a time out to rethink the method.

However, I do use "carver's friction table" on my left thumb and
forefinger when ripping jointed stock, as I'm tired of slitting my skin
with the sharp board edge. I slip the tape on and off, reusing it for
weeks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Toller" wrote:
i ave a pair of kevlar gloves that are supposedly cut proof. i know you
cant use them on a table saw because if they catch...; but on a band saw
catching doesn't seem like it would be all that dangerous, it would just jam
in the throat plate.

Think this through. As the fabric is pulled down into the throat plate, where
is your *finger* being pulled?

Anyone use them?

Not anyone with any sense...

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:

i ave a pair of kevlar gloves that are supposedly cut proof.

Here's a test. Take a sausage, shove a chopstick up the middle to
simulate bone, stick it in a finger of the glove and then jam it into
the bandsaw. See just how much damage the sausage suffers.
(I did this a while ago with a plasma cutter - interesting results)

If these "Kevlar gloves" are the typical knitted sort, then they're
only "cut resistant", they're only claimed to be cut resistant against
stationary smooth knives rather than moving objects or any sort of
toothed or abrasive saw, and the manufacturers are extremely vociferous
in stating this.

In practice, they're loosely knitted and will catch on anything that
isn't glass smooth. Although they might offer a certain level of
resistance to some accidents, they've got absolutely no place anywhere
near moving machinery. Chances are (especially for a bandsaw) that
they'll turn small accidents into big ones.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 16:31:06 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

i ave a pair of kevlar gloves that are supposedly cut proof. i know you
cant use them on a table saw because if they catch...; but on a band saw
catching doesn't seem like it would be all that dangerous, it would just jam
in the throat plate. Anyone use them?

Why not try being more careful?
Posted to rec.woodworking

My wife loves all the medical shows on TV. A recent one she saw
featured a surgeon who lost a finger while doing woodworking. Because
he was worried about getting cut, he wore "safety gloves". Because of
the gloves snagging and tangling on the blade, his hand was quickly
pulled into the machine and he suffered more damage than he would have
if he had been able to pull his hand free. He said using the gloves
proved to be a big mistake.

Thanks,
Richard

Toller wrote:
i ave a pair of kevlar gloves that are supposedly cut proof. i know you
cant use them on a table saw because if they catch...; but on a band saw
catching doesn't seem like it would be all that dangerous, it would just jam
in the throat plate. Anyone use them?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andy Dingley " wrote:

Here's a test. Take a sausage, shove a chopstick up the middle to
simulate bone, stick it in a finger of the glove and then jam it into
the bandsaw. See just how much damage the sausage suffers.
(I did this a while ago with a plasma cutter - interesting results)

Got pictures? I may have to try this...

Pete C.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
My wife loves all the medical shows on TV. A recent one she saw
featured a surgeon who lost a finger while doing woodworking. Because
he was worried about getting cut, he wore "safety gloves". Because of
the gloves snagging and tangling on the blade, his hand was quickly
pulled into the machine and he suffered more damage than he would have
if he had been able to pull his hand free. He said using the gloves
proved to be a big mistake.

bs or ts? obviously a ts will be bad; i am not sure about a bs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pete C. wrote:
"Andy Dingley " wrote:

Here's a test. Take a sausage, shove a chopstick up the middle to
simulate bone, stick it in a finger of the glove and then jam it into
the bandsaw. See just how much damage the sausage suffers.
(I did this a while ago with a plasma cutter - interesting results)

Got pictures? I may have to try this...

Somewhere, but I don't think they ever got put on line.

More cheerfully, it appears that a leather welding glove is adequate to
protect fingers against plasma cutters. You'll probably acquire a burn
in a while, but it's hardly a Dr Evil lazer-slicer type accident.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andy Dingley " wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
"Andy Dingley " wrote:

Here's a test. Take a sausage, shove a chopstick up the middle to
simulate bone, stick it in a finger of the glove and then jam it into
the bandsaw. See just how much damage the sausage suffers.
(I did this a while ago with a plasma cutter - interesting results)

Got pictures? I may have to try this...

Somewhere, but I don't think they ever got put on line.

More cheerfully, it appears that a leather welding glove is adequate to
protect fingers against plasma cutters. You'll probably acquire a burn
in a while, but it's hardly a Dr Evil lazer-slicer type accident.

Really? The way my Hypertherm Powermax 1000 tore through a piece of
railroad rail (not in use in a rail line of course) I'd think that pilot
arc would blow through the glove in microseconds. Have to test it with
an old glove and a hot dog I guess.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
i ave a pair of kevlar gloves that are supposedly cut proof. i know
you cant use them on a table saw because if they catch...; but on a
band saw catching doesn't seem like it would be all that dangerous,
it would just jam in the throat plate. Anyone use them?

I don't; it's just too dangerous.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

It was a table saw as I remember seeing that episode. It was most of his
hand though that was injured and the guy was some big heart surgeon at the
hospital. They could only reattach one of his fingers and it was his pinky
if I remember right.

Did anyone see the episode of Americn Chopper where one of the employees was
wearing a pair of mechanics gloves and his hand got caught in the drill
press he was operating. Convinced me to never wear any type of glove while
using power tools

Allen

"Pete C." wrote in message
Toller wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
My wife loves all the medical shows on TV. A recent one she saw
featured a surgeon who lost a finger while doing woodworking. Because
he was worried about getting cut, he wore "safety gloves". Because of
the gloves snagging and tangling on the blade, his hand was quickly
pulled into the machine and he suffered more damage than he would have
if he had been able to pull his hand free. He said using the gloves
proved to be a big mistake.

bs or ts? obviously a ts will be bad; i am not sure about a bs.

A knife blade is smooth and will slide along the kevlar glove. A TS or
BS blade has hooked teeth that will happily grab the strong kevlar
threads and yank them and your hand into the saw.

Pete C.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default answering my own question

"Toller" wrote in message
i ave a pair of kevlar gloves that are supposedly cut proof. i know you
cant use them on a table saw because if they catch...; but on a band saw
catching doesn't seem like it would be all that dangerous, it would just
jam in the throat plate. Anyone use them?

inspired by your replies, I tried it. Well, not quite; I took a piece of
spectra rope to the BS. Not exactly kevlar gloves, cut close.

It cut rather than snagged. I suspect it would have reduced the likelihood
of a serious accident by buying a split second to pull away. However, using
a block of wood instead of fingers would be 10x as safe.

I didn't want to try the TS, for I expect it will snag there and have God
only knows what consequences.

I had kevlar rope, but lent it to someone who didn't return it; damn.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:

inspired by your replies, I tried it. Well, not quite; I took a piece of
spectra rope to the BS. Not exactly kevlar gloves, cut close.

Spectra and Kevlar are _completely_ different in their behaviour to
small point impacts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pete C. wrote:

Have to test it with an old glove and a hot dog I guess.

To attain true wisdom, it is sometimes necessary to sacrifice a sausage.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 16:31:06 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

i ave a pair of kevlar gloves that are supposedly cut proof. i know you
cant use them on a table saw because if they catch...; but on a band saw
catching doesn't seem like it would be all that dangerous, it would just jam
in the throat plate. Anyone use them?

I use them at work sometimes-

They're itchy when it gets hot, but otherwise work well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 21:27:45 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Toller wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
My wife loves all the medical shows on TV. A recent one she saw
featured a surgeon who lost a finger while doing woodworking. Because
he was worried about getting cut, he wore "safety gloves". Because of
the gloves snagging and tangling on the blade, his hand was quickly
pulled into the machine and he suffered more damage than he would have
if he had been able to pull his hand free. He said using the gloves
proved to be a big mistake.

bs or ts? obviously a ts will be bad; i am not sure about a bs.

A knife blade is smooth and will slide along the kevlar glove. A TS or
BS blade has hooked teeth that will happily grab the strong kevlar
threads and yank them and your hand into the saw.

There's some value to this advice, but I did see a guy with kevlar
sleeves get tangled in a drill press once. Although it made his
fingers turn a little purple from the cut off circulation, he did not
get cut.

Some jobs require you to wear them, others require you not to wear
them. Ultimately, the only thing that is completely safe is to keep
your damn fingers away from the blade, gloves or no. All the other
crap is determined by OSHA or the insurance actuaries.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Prometheus" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 16:31:06 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

i ave a pair of kevlar gloves that are supposedly cut proof. i know you
cant use them on a table saw because if they catch...; but on a band saw
catching doesn't seem like it would be all that dangerous, it would just
jam
in the throat plate. Anyone use them?

I use them at work sometimes-

They're itchy when it gets hot, but otherwise work well.

Ever get them in a blade?

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

"Toller" wrote in message

"Prometheus" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 16:31:06 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

i ave a pair of kevlar gloves that are supposedly cut proof. i know you
cant use them on a table saw because if they catch...; but on a band saw
catching doesn't seem like it would be all that dangerous, it would just
jam
in the throat plate. Anyone use them?

I use them at work sometimes-

They're itchy when it gets hot, but otherwise work well.

Ever get them in a blade?

Of course not. If he used equipment like that at work, he would not be
wearing the gloves.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 16:31:06 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

i ave a pair of kevlar gloves that are supposedly cut proof. i know you
cant use them on a table saw because if they catch...; but on a band saw
catching doesn't seem like it would be all that dangerous, it would just jam
in the throat plate. Anyone use them?

In my plant, the only use for Kevlar gloves was assembly operations
where sharp parts were handled. For instance, the assembly of knives
in portable planers was at high risk for laceration until we required
the use of kevlar gloves.

I would not reccommend them for use with moving part machinery.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 10:44:47 -0600, Frank Boettcher wrote:

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 16:31:06 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

i ave a pair of kevlar gloves that are supposedly cut proof. i know you
cant use them on a table saw because if they catch...; but on a band saw
catching doesn't seem like it would be all that dangerous, it would just jam
in the throat plate. Anyone use them?

In my plant, the only use for Kevlar gloves was assembly operations
where sharp parts were handled. For instance, the assembly of knives
in portable planers was at high risk for laceration until we required
the use of kevlar gloves.

I would not reccommend them for use with moving part machinery.

Working with scary sharp chisels would be a more appropriate employment
IMO. Every once in a while one _does_ slip and by Murphy's law it will be
the one time that you got careless with your hand position.

Frank

--
X:\Newsreaders\sig.txt
Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:

inspired by your replies, I tried it. Well, not quite; I took a piece of
spectra rope to the BS. Not exactly kevlar gloves, cut close.

It cut rather than snagged.

Since kevlar is cut-proof, or at least cut-resistant, how is this a
valid test of what would happen with kevlar gloves?

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 15:17:23 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"Prometheus" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 16:31:06 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

i ave a pair of kevlar gloves that are supposedly cut proof. i know you
cant use them on a table saw because if they catch...; but on a band saw
catching doesn't seem like it would be all that dangerous, it would just
jam
in the throat plate. Anyone use them?

I use them at work sometimes-

They're itchy when it gets hot, but otherwise work well.

Ever get them in a blade?

Nope, I keep my mitts as far from cutters as is humanly possible while
still getting the job done- just like I hope everyone else does.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 15:45:14 GMT, "CW" wrote:

"Toller" wrote in message

"Prometheus" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 16:31:06 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

i ave a pair of kevlar gloves that are supposedly cut proof. i know you
cant use them on a table saw because if they catch...; but on a band saw
catching doesn't seem like it would be all that dangerous, it would just
jam
in the throat plate. Anyone use them?

I use them at work sometimes-

They're itchy when it gets hot, but otherwise work well.

Ever get them in a blade?

Of course not. If he used equipment like that at work, he would not be
wearing the gloves.

You're absolutely right- though I did have an employer try to tell me
they were required when running a mill once. Eveidently, a few people
had been cut by burrs there in the past, and raised a stink about it.
I'll admit, I just ignored that particular rule, and started looking
for work elsewhere.

They're great for handling rough stock of any sort, though!

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

Working with scary sharp chisels would be a more appropriate employment
IMO.

I wouldn't disagree with "more appropriate", but a slipped chisel will
still go straight through a knitted Kevlar glove. Kevlar is tough, but
knitted Kevlar isn't mithril.

IMHO, I rarely wear knitted Kevlar gloves. The surface is too knitted
and too prone to snag. If I need to handle sharp-edged sheepmetal, then
I'll use leather gloves, or leather gloves with a _woven_ Kevlar
underlayer (like motorbike gloves).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 03:03:55 -0800, Andy Dingley
wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:

Working with scary sharp chisels would be a more appropriate employment
IMO.

I wouldn't disagree with "more appropriate", but a slipped chisel will
still go straight through a knitted Kevlar glove. Kevlar is tough, but
knitted Kevlar isn't mithril.

A chisel is a knife, the Kevlar gloves are supposed to resist knife cuts.
I can see a quarter inch getting between the fibers, but not a 3/4. But
I've never worn Kevlar gloves so what do I know?

IMHO, I rarely wear knitted Kevlar gloves. The surface is too knitted
and too prone to snag. If I need to handle sharp-edged sheepmetal, then
I'll use leather gloves, or leather gloves with a _woven_ Kevlar
underlayer (like motorbike gloves).

--
X:\Newsreaders\sig.txt
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

A chisel is a knife, the Kevlar gloves are supposed to resist knife cuts.
I can see a quarter inch getting between the fibers, but not a 3/4. But
I've never worn Kevlar gloves so what do I know?

Abso-bloody-lutely. 8-(

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 21 Nov 2006 03:03:55 -0800, "Andy Dingley "
wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:

Working with scary sharp chisels would be a more appropriate employment
IMO.

I wouldn't disagree with "more appropriate", but a slipped chisel will
still go straight through a knitted Kevlar glove. Kevlar is tough, but
knitted Kevlar isn't mithril.

IMHO, I rarely wear knitted Kevlar gloves. The surface is too knitted
and too prone to snag. If I need to handle sharp-edged sheepmetal, then
I'll use leather gloves, or leather gloves with a _woven_ Kevlar
underlayer (like motorbike gloves).

The best gloves I've ever used were "framer" gloves. I don't recall
the brand, but they are excellent for most manual work- they're
basically a very tightly woven polyester-type fiber that is doubled or
tripled across the back of the knuckles, with leather palms that are
re-enforced where it counts. The thumb, middle, and index fingers are
cut back to leave the tips free for finer work.

They look a little funny on the shelf, kind of like something a
slightly crazy biker would wear, but they do the job nicely.
Posted to rec.woodworking

--You'd do better with a set of gauntlets; you know, the kind you
find on a medieval suit of armor, heh.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Why do weekend projects
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : always last a month??