Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default kevlar gloves with a bandsaw?

On 21 Nov 2006 03:03:55 -0800, "Andy Dingley "
wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:

Working with scary sharp chisels would be a more appropriate employment
IMO.

I wouldn't disagree with "more appropriate", but a slipped chisel will
still go straight through a knitted Kevlar glove. Kevlar is tough, but
knitted Kevlar isn't mithril.

IMHO, I rarely wear knitted Kevlar gloves. The surface is too knitted
and too prone to snag. If I need to handle sharp-edged sheepmetal, then
I'll use leather gloves, or leather gloves with a _woven_ Kevlar
underlayer (like motorbike gloves).

The best gloves I've ever used were "framer" gloves. I don't recall
the brand, but they are excellent for most manual work- they're
basically a very tightly woven polyester-type fiber that is doubled or
tripled across the back of the knuckles, with leather palms that are
re-enforced where it counts. The thumb, middle, and index fingers are
cut back to leave the tips free for finer work.

They look a little funny on the shelf, kind of like something a
slightly crazy biker would wear, but they do the job nicely.