Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default kevlar gloves with a bandsaw?

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 21:27:45 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Toller wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
My wife loves all the medical shows on TV. A recent one she saw
featured a surgeon who lost a finger while doing woodworking. Because
he was worried about getting cut, he wore "safety gloves". Because of
the gloves snagging and tangling on the blade, his hand was quickly
pulled into the machine and he suffered more damage than he would have
if he had been able to pull his hand free. He said using the gloves
proved to be a big mistake.

bs or ts? obviously a ts will be bad; i am not sure about a bs.

A knife blade is smooth and will slide along the kevlar glove. A TS or
BS blade has hooked teeth that will happily grab the strong kevlar
threads and yank them and your hand into the saw.

There's some value to this advice, but I did see a guy with kevlar
sleeves get tangled in a drill press once. Although it made his
fingers turn a little purple from the cut off circulation, he did not
get cut.

Some jobs require you to wear them, others require you not to wear
them. Ultimately, the only thing that is completely safe is to keep
your damn fingers away from the blade, gloves or no. All the other
crap is determined by OSHA or the insurance actuaries.