Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Blade Guard on a Table Saw?

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...

but I do know that I'm not going to ask him for safety
tips.

You know Doug, originally you asked another poster why they would want to
see the blade. I gave you "1" reason why I do. I was not really looking
to get in to a ****ing contest but simply to answer your question. I was
not trying to call your method wrong. I was simply answering your
question.

I would not dream of trying to give you any tips on safety nor was I in any
way trying to convince you of a better way to do it. I was simply stating
why I like to see the blade. This was the way I was taught in school 40
years ago. Call it old school, call it what you like.
If you like the way you do things, fine. Please don't think that I really
care one way or the other how you use your saw. Again, I was only giving
you an answer to your question.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
om...

Not exactly, but he *did* say that he adjusts the board as needed after he
sees where the cut starts:

"I ease the wood up to the blade and watch where the blade "begins to cut"
in
relation to the mark. If it is not where I want it, I simply move the
board
left or right and proceed with the cut."

Ok to clarify, Do you ever have a slight bit of tear out on the back side
of a cut that gets sanded off? I don't cut that much into the lead of the
cut. I push the wood up until the blade, let me say this again, "begins" to
cut the wood. Read that as when the blade touches the wood I stop pushing.
The amount removed during that initial approach usually gets sanded off to
ease the edge during finish sanding.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

Perhaps there is an element of danger that goes along with talent? IIRC,
Sam
Maloof had a hard time, on more than one occasion, telling his fingers
from
the workpiece when using a bandsaw.

Well I certainly am not to be compared to Sam Maloof but I suspect that he
and I have similar methods of making cuts. I had to chuckle the other day
while watching Modern Masters on TV.. Sam Maloof was one of the artists
being recognised.
He was rounding over the edges of a 2" wide leg for one of his rockers with
a large router. He was holding the router with only one hand while
holding the leg with the other. He said that he had his share of scars from
not having always done things in a more conventional way.

Then there's Roy ...

Yeah, and then there is Roy. I know that he will always be wearing a
bandaid and hope that the bandaid is all he will ever need. ;~)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 03:21:31 +0000, Samson wrote:

I haven't used a blade guard for years, but was reading a book
today on table saws that insisted to use them whenever possible.

Question: Do you use one? If not, why not?

My blade guard has been off since the day it was first plugged in. Today I
hooked it back up. I'll give it a trial for now, but I've already
noticed scratching where the anti-kickback pawls (Craftsman 10"
contractors saw ... all original except for the belt & blade) were
dragging across the wood. I'm not too thrilled with that.

It is a crummy design when the cutoff is thin enough to fit underneath it.
The liklihood that I will feel said cutoff before I even see it approaches
certainty. BTDT numerous times.

BUT, I'll give it yet another trial.

If the Saw STop people want to make a metric ton of money, all they have
to do is design a retro-fit for the Craftsman saws ... of which there are
at least 2 zillion ... all still in use.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Leon" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.com...

but I do know that I'm not going to ask him for safety
tips.

You know Doug, originally you asked another poster why they would want to
see the blade. I gave you "1" reason why I do. I was not really looking
to get in to a ****ing contest but simply to answer your question. I was
not trying to call your method wrong. I was simply answering your
question.

Right... and I'm pointing out for the benefit of the guy who asked the
question originally that the reasoning behind your wanting to see the blade is
faulty.

Keeping the blade uncovered so you can see it *does* increase the hazard (you
even agreed with that) and it does *not* provide any advantages.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Leon" wrote:

Well I certainly am not to be compared to Sam Maloof but I suspect that he
and I have similar methods of making cuts. I had to chuckle the other day
while watching Modern Masters on TV.. Sam Maloof was one of the artists
being recognised.
He was rounding over the edges of a 2" wide leg for one of his rockers with
a large router. He was holding the router with only one hand while
holding the leg with the other. He said that he had his share of scars from
not having always done things in a more conventional way.

Some people just don't have the common sense God gave a stump.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Bill" wrote:
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 03:21:31 +0000, Samson wrote:

I haven't used a blade guard for years, but was reading a book
today on table saws that insisted to use them whenever possible.

Question: Do you use one? If not, why not?

My blade guard has been off since the day it was first plugged in. Today I
hooked it back up. I'll give it a trial for now, but I've already
noticed scratching where the anti-kickback pawls (Craftsman 10"
contractors saw ... all original except for the belt & blade) were
dragging across the wood. I'm not too thrilled with that.

I took the pawls off of mine on about day two, for exactly that reason.

And because they're unnecessary. With proper cutting technique, properly
surfaced stock, *and* a splitter in place, kickback is extremely unlikely.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
om...

Keeping the blade uncovered so you can see it *does* increase the hazard
(you
even agreed with that) and it does *not* provide any advantages.

Not using the guard can increase the hazard. Correct, no one disputes that.
that horse is dead.

There are advantages as I have indicated. If you cannot wrap you mind
around that perhaps a coloring book would help.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
om...

Some people just don't have the common sense God gave a stump.

BOY YOU can say that again.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Leon" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...

Keeping the blade uncovered so you can see it *does* increase the hazard
(you
even agreed with that) and it does *not* provide any advantages.

Not using the guard can increase the hazard. Correct, no one disputes that.
that horse is dead.

There are advantages as I have indicated. If you cannot wrap you mind
around that perhaps a coloring book would help.

The "advantages" you've indicated are purely illusory. There are in fact no
advantages at all, and it's not *me* having trouble wrapping his mind around a
simple concept. Statically aligning the pencil mark is every bit as accurate,
perhaps even more so, than trying to align to a spinning blade -- as long as
you pick the right tooth (which seems to be where you're having trouble).

It's faster, it's safer, and the only reason for not doing so is "I've never
done it that way before."

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Leon" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...

Some people just don't have the common sense God gave a stump.

BOY YOU can say that again.

Yep. IMO that includes people with a history of multiple table saw injuries
who still haven't figured out that using a blade guard is a good idea.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..

The "advantages" you've indicated are purely illusory. There are in fact
no
advantages at all, and it's not *me* having trouble wrapping his mind
around a
simple concept. Statically aligning the pencil mark is every bit as
accurate,
perhaps even more so, than trying to align to a spinning blade -- as long
as
you pick the right tooth (which seems to be where you're having trouble).

It's faster, it's safer, and the only reason for not doing so is "I've
never
done it that way before."

LOL.... I sincerely hope you never actually start to post anything that is
of any importance as I will miss it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Leon" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

The "advantages" you've indicated are purely illusory. There are in fact
no
advantages at all, and it's not *me* having trouble wrapping his mind
around a
simple concept. Statically aligning the pencil mark is every bit as
accurate,
perhaps even more so, than trying to align to a spinning blade -- as long
as
you pick the right tooth (which seems to be where you're having trouble).

It's faster, it's safer, and the only reason for not doing so is "I've
never
done it that way before."

LOL.... I sincerely hope you never actually start to post anything that is
of any importance as I will miss it.

IOW... you know you lost the argument, but won't admit it... LOL

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Want to do a pol? I doubt very many will be on your side. I came very close
to doing the same thing to you as Leon did.