Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Blade Guard on a Table Saw?

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 03:21:31 +0000, Samson wrote:

I haven't used a blade guard for years, but was reading a book
today on table saws that insisted to use them whenever possible.

Question: Do you use one? If not, why not?

My blade guard has been off since the day it was first plugged in. Today I
hooked it back up. I'll give it a trial for now, but I've already
noticed scratching where the anti-kickback pawls (Craftsman 10"
contractors saw ... all original except for the belt & blade) were
dragging across the wood. I'm not too thrilled with that.

It is a crummy design when the cutoff is thin enough to fit underneath it.
The liklihood that I will feel said cutoff before I even see it approaches
certainty. BTDT numerous times.

BUT, I'll give it yet another trial.

If the Saw STop people want to make a metric ton of money, all they have
to do is design a retro-fit for the Craftsman saws ... of which there are
at least 2 zillion ... all still in use.

Bill