Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT 'ish: Chainsaw Sharpening Kit

I'm sure that at least a few people on this NG own/use a chainsaw from
time to time, so...

I've been wanting to get a chain saw sharpening tool, but wasn't sure
what type to get - dremel attachment/clamp on angle guide/freehand
file/etc... I ended up getting an angle guide/file kit made by
Husquavarna from Lowes ($14). The kit comes with two round files and a
flat file, a handle, and a small angle guide. The little guide is about
an inch square and just sits on top of the chain, straddling a cutter.
The guide aligns itself with the chain so that the correct angle is
easy to obtain.

After just a few minutes spent figuring out how to use it, I was able
to sharpen the chain in less than 10 minutes. I went outside to make a
test cut on some recently cut logs - wow, this chain is scary sharp!
Very impressive results with almost no learning curve and little time
invested.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'd highly recommend Husky's file kit.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike wrote:
[...]

I agree. Don't know the brand of mine but same design, great tool that
brings a chain back to life.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike wrote:
[...]

Granberg makes a file-guide I've used for years. Clamps onto bar, holds
file carrier at adjustable angle to bar, with adjustable height-stop.
Makes
for simple, consistent results. With a flat-file, you set the
depth-gauges.

HTH,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike wrote:

[...]

I've been using a file/guide for a couple years with decent results.
Today I needed to sharpen my saw but with the recent storm we had in my
area my file and guide was misplaced. I tried to buy a new file this
morning and all the stores that I checked were sold out. I did find the
Dremel attachment kit at Home Depot and bought it. I sharpened the saw
about two hours ago much more quickly and with far superior results than
I could do with the file and guide.

In my opinion the Dremel attachment is well worth the $10.00.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

morning and all the stores that I checked were sold out. I did find the
Dremel attachment kit at Home Depot and bought it. I sharpened the saw
about two hours ago much more quickly and with far superior results than
I could do with the file and guide.

In my opinion the Dremel attachment is well worth the $10.00.

My concern with the Dremel attachment is that it would be really easy
to take too much metal off of the cutter, thus reducing the chains life
span. Also, I've heard that the little grinding wheels for the Dremel
don't last that long. I imagine that a regular file will outlast me.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

I bought the Dremal attachment. After the first tooth, I took the guide off
and just freehanded it. Easy enough to do if you have any sharpening or
grinding experience. The stones last quite a long time.

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...

My concern with the Dremel attachment is that it would be really easy
to take too much metal off of the cutter, thus reducing the chains life
span. Also, I've heard that the little grinding wheels for the Dremel
don't last that long. I imagine that a regular file will outlast me.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message

I've been using a file/guide for a couple years with decent results.
Today I needed to sharpen my saw but with the recent storm we had in my
area my file and guide was misplaced. I tried to buy a new file this
morning and all the stores that I checked were sold out. I did find the
Dremel attachment kit at Home Depot and bought it. I sharpened the saw
about two hours ago much more quickly and with far superior results than
I could do with the file and guide.

In my opinion the Dremel attachment is well worth the $10.00.

I've been using a simple file guide for a couple of decades and I've thought
about a Dremel type honing wheel on and off. I can see where it would be
much faster than a file, though I wouldn't expect any better results than a
file. The thing that keeps me from moving ahead with the idea is that I
keep thinking that I don't want something else to have to drag out into the
woods with me.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...

My concern with the Dremel attachment is that it would be really easy
to take too much metal off of the cutter, thus reducing the chains life
span. Also, I've heard that the little grinding wheels for the Dremel
don't last that long. I imagine that a regular file will outlast me.

Nah - if you're a real guy, you'll lose the file...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:

I've been using a simple file guide for a couple of decades and I've thought
about a Dremel type honing wheel on and off. I can see where it would be
much faster than a file, though I wouldn't expect any better results than a
file. The thing that keeps me from moving ahead with the idea is that I
keep thinking that I don't want something else to have to drag out into the
woods with me.

The finer grit of the stone hones a sharper edge on the teeth.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA