Bill

Default DVD on chainsaw sharpening, tree felling, etc.

You learn something every day...

I just watched a DVD I bought from a Stihl chainsaw dealer. It is produced
by Stihl and is called: "Chain Saw Safety, Maintenance, and Operation".

This is an excellent DVD from which I learned quite a bit. The chain
sharpening part taught me about using a "depth gauge" along with all sorts
of stuff I never heard of before. Basically how to do it right, when to
sharpen, how to tell from the cuttings if a chain is sharp or not, etc.

Also this DVD is *excellent* on the topics of safety, maintenance, and goes
into extensive detail about felling trees, cutting down trees, and various
situations you may encounter while doing this.

Everyone who uses a chainsaw should see this DVD. Unfortunately I can't find
anywhere that sells them online???

But here is a link which gives an address to order the DVD from the company
which I guess made it for Stihl (Red Letter Communications)....
http://www.stihlusa.com/knowhow/knowhow_lit_video.html

Christina Peterson

My husband taught that at the power company -- is on several of their
videos. Chain saw safety, maintenance, and operation, and also climbing,
felling, etc. He was disabled 5 years ago. In the spring he plans to start
working a small mill with another disabled friend. Do just enough work to
get by. His extensive work with trees gives him access to removal of nice
tall straight aspen.

So we're still looking at mills -- Woodmiser, Lucas, Timber King. Probably
start with a Woodmiser. And also looking at simple bolt together structures
(sheds, furniture), as well as making plans for some small over-built beam
cabins.

Sounds like that DVD has the kind of information that separates the week-end
woodsman from someone interested in professional conduct with sawing and
felling.

Tina